Garmin Forerunner 610

Options
KWKY
KWKY Posts: 110 Member
Hi everybody,

I have been using Suunto M5 + running pack for about a year and it's been good, but I really need an HRM which can

- program intervals
- has a split screen so I can see my pace, my distance and my HR all at the same time
- download the data so I can see how I am pacing myself.

The split screen thing is very important to me and the Suunto is unable to do that, it can only show two pieces of data at a time.

Am considering the Garmin 610 but it is very expensive. My PT has one but his is already broken after one year (he can't even turn it on, despite replacing batteries etc), Can anybody share their experiences with this one?

Also, if anybody can recommend any other HRM's that can do the above, without GPS (I don't need it), then I'm all ears!

Many thanks in advance!
KWKY

Replies

• marikevr
    marikevr Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    I have a 610 and I have been very happy with it. You can customise your training pages to display the info that you want. The data can be downloaded via the ANT stick to the Garmin Training Centre and Garmin connect. I have used mine for intervals.

I can't comment on how long it will last, I've only had mine for seven months now. However, with a previous Garmin of mine the local Garmin offices were very helpful in organising a replacement watch.

You can try www.dcrainmaker.com for great reviews on a variety of watches.
  • elbereth2010
    elbereth2010 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I have a Forerunner 405CX that does all of that. It doesn't have the 610s fancy touch screen but boy do I love my Garmin. Their website (Garmin Training Center) is pretty good too, and free, and most other common websites (though not MFP!) will also upload data from Garmins.
  • KWKY
    Options
    Thanks guys - that's very helpful!! Now I just gotta work out what I should do with my Suunto M5 - works perfectly well , just doens't do what I want it to do :(
  • TheBrolympus
    TheBrolympus Posts: 586 Member
    Options
    I have used Garmin Edge and Forerunner 305s and now have a 910xt. Garmin makes a good product and I have been happy with all of them. My brother had some issues with his 305 but Garmin replaced it even though it was out of warranty.

They are pricey but worth the money for the features that you get.
  • KWKY
    Options
    Thanks for that... do you find yours quite heavy (the 910xt I mean)

Cheers
    KWKY
  • girlontherun5
    girlontherun5 Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    I have the 910xt too and I love it, only had it for a month now though so I can't say much about how long it will last. But I've even worn it swimming and I don't find it heavy at all. Mind you prior to this one I had the garmin forerunner 301 which was much bigger. I had it for over 4 years and never a problem (with HRM too) it actually still works, but I wanted something that will work even better for the triathlon training I'm doing.
    It was pricey but also a birthday present :) and will definately be well used.