Pump information?

Options
I've been using the pens recently, but my doctors always push the pump on me. I really don't know what to do; I think that it would get in the way? I mean, it's in you all day long, right? I mean, if you were to wear something wouldn't it stand out in your clothes? If you were to cuddle with your lover does it get in the way? Will it come out or get in the way of sports? What about sleeping with it? I don't know, basically does it get in the way of every day life? Pros and cons? I just need any information or experiences that you've had with it, thank you :)

Replies

• jonnyrosko
    jonnyrosko Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Sure, it gets in the way sometimes but you get used to it pretty quickly. Yes, it’s all day thing because it replaces the long acting insulin. Mine, like most pumps, disconnect so you can take a shower, swim, play sports, or ‘cuddle’ your lover for up to an hour or so. I can’t speak for the ladies, but I tuck my pump in my waist band so it’s outta the way…wearing a dress is probably a different story and I have no advice in that department. If you toss and turn at night you might get a little tangled up in the tubing. When I'm sleeping next to my gf, I keep it on the outside of us. It goes a little something like this; pump -> me -> GF

See if you can get a loaner pump from your doctor to just try it out. I’ve had mine for 15 years; I’m NEVER going back to shots. It just makes my life so much easier and my diabetes much more controllable.
  • maegan0205
    Options
    It does get in the way, in the beginning until you figure out ways around it. But for me, the pros definitely outweight the cons. You have so much more flexibility. With shots you have to be on a very strict schedule as far as gving your injection and eating at certain times. With the pump I can sleep until 9 and eat breakfast or not. There is no more give an injection at 7 and eat within 10 minutes so that you don't bottom out.

As far as it showing in your clothes, I keep mine in my bra and no one ever knows it is there, unless I decide to show them (outside of my bra of course :wink: ) There are bands and cases and all sorts of neat little things you can do to keep it hidden and you will figure out your own ways of doing things too. You can always take the pump off for a while if you want to swim, shower, play sports of be "active" in other ways.

For me, personally I would never go back to the shots willingly. You could always ask your doctor and see if their office has a loaner that you could at least try out. I think you would be convinced after testing it out, but it is definitely worth checking into in my opinion.
  • Spokez70
    Spokez70 Posts: 548 Member
    Options
    My daughter has Type 1 and used the Omnipod. It is the only pump she has ever had so we don't really have anything to compare it to but she does like it because it's tubeless and the little pod just sticks to you and only has to be changed every 2-3 days. It's pretty durable and waterproof and you can place it on your arms or hips or belly for whatever works best. Might be something to consider if you are worried about getting tangled up.
  • Canderson58054
    Canderson58054 Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    I use the omnipod and since its tubless I dont have the problem of it getting in the way. Honestly, they are days that I forget i have it on... lol. I wouldnt trade it to go back to injections for the world. Absolutely love it. If you want to consider it I would talk to a Diabetic educator about it. My CDE had 3 or 4 different pumps in her office that she could show me to see which one i liked and then her and the dr worked together to get the approval process going for me. Wouldnt hurt to learn more about it especially if you have any issues with high or low bloodsugar. I am simply amazed how controlled my readings have been since I started using it! :)
  • k_pattie
    k_pattie Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I had the animas pump about 6 years ago when I was 16 and a junior in high school. I used it for about 6 months before becoming so frustrated with it and switched back to injections. I recently decided to try the Omnipod (it's currently sitting on my couch) and am just waiting to schedule an appt with a pump trainer to get going.

6 years is a long time in the diabetes world, especially in terms of "making things easier" products. I struggled with the animas pump. I didn't like having to keep it in my bra - having to leave to go the bathroom in order to bolus turned my diabetes into a private affair which was annoying - and would stick it in my jeans pockets but girls jeans are tight so that could be an issue. I found it best to stick it in my back pocket but no matter what I did, the tubing would ALWAYS catch on something. Painful and often ripped out the infusion set. However, lately I've been seeing a lot of cool ways to hold your pump (if you go for one with tubing) like scarves with pockets or shirts or whatever. Google pump accessories - cool stuff comes up! I would also check out etsy.com for pump gear as well.
    I was really athletic and had to wear the pump while exercising because practices ran for longer than an hour. That became an issue as well - securing the pump to my body.

I think I would have been much more receptive to the omnipod but it had only been out for less than a year when I went on the animas pump and I think my dr wanted to hear more things about it before introducing it to me. I'm really excited for the omnipod now though. Not having injections or tubing sounds fantastic, and I like that there is a meter incorporated into the PDM. Also, the FDA approved the new Omnipod in December and the website says they should start shipping out in march. The pods will be 1/3 smaller and 1/4 lighter which is cool!

Let me know what you decide to do!
  • shorrtcaake
    Options
    Thank you for the replies :) I have to see my doctor in March so I will talk with her about it, and my even see if I can test it out like suggested <3
  • glittergirl88
    glittergirl88 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    if you have insurance or in anyway qualify get one now so you will always have it. the way medicine is these days it may not always be available. sometimes i want to throw it out the window but it does give better control and is easier and way less painful that injections.
  • Peanut715
    Options
    My doctors were the same way when I was your age. I finally went on the pump when I was 21. It's been a blessing, but also a curse. It has made me lazy, but if you really use it right it is fantastic, no more set schedules was my biggest thing. I could eat ice cream when my friends without planning... You are able to lower insulin intake with exercise. I am on the Animas pump. I have toyed with going back on injections, but I don't think I ever will. It's worth it, even with the downside of something being connected to you all the time.
    Andie