Options
dinomomma
dinomomma Posts: 264 Member
Any other cloth diapering moms?

Replies

• Mewlingstork
    Mewlingstork Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    We cloth diaper at home. When I was pregnant, I shopped online deal of the day type sites and built my stash slowly. Since we only cloth diaper at home during the day, we use lots of prefold diapers with Snappis, they replace the older safety pins and they're super easy on and off. I have waterproof covers, but rarely use them. I change the prefold so often, I don't bother with the cover. My guy gets a little cranky when his cloth diaper is wet, doesn't care at all about a wet disposable. If you're not using a cover, there's a good chance of the wet getting on other things and/or poopy blow outs. My guy doesn't wear clothing at home, so this helps with quick diaper changes. We're also lucky that he only has dirty diapers every other day or so. Predictable enough that I usually, (key - usually!), remember to put on a disposable that day and we don't have to wash poopy cloth diapers. We have some all in ones (absorbent and the waterproof cover), but they take so long to wash and dry that again, rarely used. I would recommend trying some different brands of covers and such, because babies come in lots of sizes and some brands are better against blow outs and leaks than others.

Stash: I have about 2 dozen prefolds, 4-6 covers. 3 or 4 all in one types. 2 dozen cloth wipes, but don't hardly use those.

Washing: I use a product called Bac Out to keep stink down. Lots of people recommend soaking the diapers, but I'm too lazy and my front load washer makes that difficult. I wash them probably every two days, but I'm very inconsistent about using them in the first place.

Favorite website for buying anything cloth diaper related is Nickisdiapers.com By far the best prices on cheap diapers and fast shipping. Amazon is ok, especially for the cuter, but slightly more expensive ones.

Maybe this helps a little???
  • amarneu
    amarneu Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    Cloth diaper and am quite proud of this fact as I had a lot of people say that I would give it up, but we are still going strong! My stash is all pocket/all in 2 diapers and I like each brand I have for different reasons - kawaii because they are so cheap, bum genius because they are the best quality thus far, and apple cheeks I find to be the best for travelling since you don't need to separate the insert from the diaper and can just throw the whole thing in your wet bag for washing later.

I did invest in a diaper sprayer which we haven't used much as I am still exclusively breastfeeding. The detergent we use is laundry tarts, they all smell fantastic. Also for an everyday diaper cream I am loving the grovia magic stick, any questions please ask!
  • MinnesotaMommy1
    MinnesotaMommy1 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    We cloth diaper and love it...I decided to when I found out that each disposable diaper lasts 200 years in a landfill! We use Grovia brand in the onesize velcro shells. I also like the hemp inserts better than their cotton ones. We've been at this for 4 months and its going good-using Charlies Soap and Tiny Bubbles brand and haven't had any smell issues yet but she is still on her breastmilk only diet so poop isnt stinky yet. We have a front load and do a quick cold rinse with 1/4 teas. Detergent and then a hot wash with cold rinse with 3/4 teas. Detergent as recommended by the diaper store.
  • ljervisleah
    ljervisleah Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I CD'd full time with number 1, part time with number 2 and rarely with number 3. It's a great idea but I've hit my limit on things I can do in a day. Plus, I didn't like that my kids always smelled like pee because no matter what I tried and I tried a lot I couldn't get the stink out. The only ones that didn't stink where the prefolds and as the other poster mentioned I had to change them every time as soon as they got wet. Oh and all my kids poo'd every time they nursed, lol. I have a whole stash I'll sell you!
  • DorkothyParker
    DorkothyParker Posts: 618 Member
    Options
    We use Bumgenius 4.0 and they are worth every penny. Honestly, it's as easy as not cloth diapering. I do laundry every other night. Do a cold pre-wash with All Free and Clear after I put Fi to bed, do a hot wash with no soap after night feeding, then toss in the dryer when I get up for work. I stuff the inserts as I use them so I don't bother folding them, just toss them in the drawer. Takes no time at all.
  • diverdi
    diverdi Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    I do. This is baby number 3 for me and I used disposables for the first two, honestly don't notice that much difference even though we're now weaning.
  • fattyfoodie
    fattyfoodie Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    We are cloth diapering this time around with baby number two. We use one size pocket dipes and love them for the ease and cute factor!