Medical Disqualification question

Options
daybehavior
daybehavior Posts: 1,319 Member
Hey guys, I know we have some knowledgeable people on here so I was wondering if I can get your opinion. Im really scared. I recently read through the disqualifications and that a history of depression is one of them. Here's the thing. I have never been diagnosed as clinically depressed by a PCP, but I had a few run ins with an urgent care clinic.

Technically I was never depressed. What happened was this summer I had a severe bout of anxiety (due to a lot of stress in my life at the time) which lead to a horrible disorder known as depersonalization. The doctor prescribed me klonopin which kind of helped with the anxiety but the depersonalization was really bad still. He then gave me Lexapro, which treats both depression and anxiety (an absolute Godsend for me). So here we are five months later and I am 95% back to old self (not depressed at all but still depersonalized sometimes).

Im worried about how this whole episode would look like. I never tried to kill myself or anything crazy like that. The only reason I'm still on Lexapro is because I need to ween off of it. I know this is still far along the road but it would give me peace of mind to have a veteran opinion. All the outpatient forms the doctor gave just have "anxiety" listed as the reason for visit.

Am I screwed? Should I even consider joining the military? I will beg and plead with whomever I have to but I'm scared its gonna be an open and shut case. If my dreams are going to be crushed I rather find out now than later.

I know this was long but thanks for taking the time to read even if you dont have an answer.

Replies

• Hbazzell
    Hbazzell Posts: 899 Member
    Options
    If you have never been diagnosed, it never happened. DO NOT let the med personnel try to dig it out of you. It has to be diagnosed. However, there is a reason why the military screens out people with certain syndromes or issues. The job you are going to partake in is going to extremely stressfull. You may see people die you care about, you may be the reason people have to die. If you know in your heart you have a history with these things you have to really soul search because you may get into the military and go through some really bad stuff and it may damage you personally. Even boot camp is insanely stressfull. It changes peoples body functions who have never had issues before even. Most people have digestive problems, menstral problems, mental breakdowns, chronic illness or other issues that never showed up before. Also, a lot of people don't release their med recods even though they say you need to. To be honest I moved so much I didn't have any, other than one time visits from random doctors. Medical records are confidential. They would have to subpoena them and they have no reason for that.
  • KalaMakaKoa
    KalaMakaKoa Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Everything Hbazzell said is truth! Just reiterating... If you feel like you would be a danger to anyone else or anyone else you should follow your gut. And remember they cannot get your medical records unless you sign off on it, or they go through the courts. They talk a lot of bs saying that yes they can, but they can't. That is what HIPAA is for. :) Keep on your path, but keep thinking about what is best for you and what is best for the people you would work with in the fleet.
  • pooleebarbara
    pooleebarbara Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I have to agree, if it wasn't diagnosed it didn't happen. When I was seventeen and signed up for the DEP with the Navy, my recruiter had asked me if I was ever diagnosed with stuff like that. I told him no, he said good but if i even ever felt depressed don't tell the Drs at MEPS. If it wasn't diagnosed, it wasn't real. Obviously he was just trying to make sure I qualified, but he also wanted to fill his recruiting quota.

But, regardless, it doesn't sound like you're going to have to worry too much. Main thing, don't elaborate. Answer what they ask you, and don't give extra information.

Example:
    Do you have depression: No
    Have you ever been diagnosed with Depression: No
    Have you ever been prescribed anything to treat Depression: No

You can answer the last one no, because it wasn't prescribed to treat depression. If it was, then you'd have to say yes, but it wasn't. It was a for a different purpose. Understand? As long as you don't elaborarte and keep your answers short and honest, you'll be fine.
  • daybehavior
    Options
    Thank you ladies so much <3. I feel a lot better now. I know boot camp and service will be extremely stressful, but I told myself if I can survive depersonalization and overcome it, I can literally get through anything life throws at me. There are simply no words to articulate exactly what a living nightmare depersonalization was.

Have you ever had a dream where you know you're dreaming, but couldn't wake yourself up? That's how I was feeling everyday for three months straight. That's just the tip of the iceberg. I didn't feel "connected" to anything. My head felt foggy 24/7. My own reflection was foreign to me. My house felt strange and unfamiliar, so did my friends and family. I couldnt feel love or excitement. The whole world seemed artificial. Its a ****ed up feeling. People have killed themselves over it and countless others lives have been ruined. I am one of the lucky ones to overcome it, thanks to a combination of the medicine, prayer and exercise.

In any case, im not quite clear about the releasing my medical history thing. Do they require you to sign off on that? What happens if you don't? I, myself, know that I don't have any papers saying I was treated for depression but Im afraid maybe the doctor at the urgent care clinic wrote somewhere that I was depressed. I've never been to counseling or anything like that.

Thanks again for all the advice and info. Hugs to all.

~Tony
  • KitKatt011
    Options
    Like everyone said just keep your mouth shut and the answer is always no! I can't stress that enough and I know this because I am an Army wife and my husband told me that as well! Good luck!
  • KatelinIsArmyStrong
    Options
    When you go to meps, son, you're healthy as a horse. Tell your recruiter everything, don't hide one thing from him, and he'll tell you step by step what to say when they ask you anything. Usually the answer will be no.
    Also, if you're worried about medical records, have your recruiter run a security clearance on you. Anything he can't see, meps won't see. I have medical history, but shhhhh ;)
  • daybehavior
    Options
    LOL! Wow OK. Thanks for the clarifications. I'll keep it tight. After all, loose lips sink ships ;)
  • Hbazzell
    Options
    Like everyone said just keep your mouth shut and the answer is always no! I can't stress that enough and I know this because I am an Army wife and my husband told me that as well! Good luck!

This^ Answer is no. I mean I broke my collar bone at 7 and I didnt have the records so I left it out. If you say yes than you HAVE to produce records. The recruiter is there to get you in and the medical staff is there to ween you out. Stay tough. Tell them no if you never we diagnosed. And I just never gave my medical records. I just acted like I didnt have a Dr. because I really did ever go anyway. I moved too much to have a steady dr.
  • Hbazzell
    Options
    LOL! Wow OK. Thanks for the clarifications. I'll keep it tight. After all, loose lips sink ships ;)

yes, loose lip sink ships....and get you masted lol
  • daybehavior
    Options
    xD yall are awesome. Wish we could hang out IRL sometime.
  • rduhlir
    rduhlir Posts: 3,550 Member
    Options

This^ Answer is no. I mean I broke my collar bone at 7 and I didnt have the records so I left it out. If you say yes than you HAVE to produce records. The recruiter is there to get you in and the medical staff is there to ween you out. Stay tough. Tell them no if you never we diagnosed. And I just never gave my medical records. I just acted like I didnt have a Dr. because I really did ever go anyway. I moved too much to have a steady dr.

Yeah, if it isn't documented then don't say anything. But keep in mind, MEPS has ways of triggering issues. For example, first time I went to MEPS some girl couldn't do the duck walk because she had a prior injury she didn't say anything about.

And be true to your body. If you know for a fact that if you went to boot camp and you would get hurt then take care of yourself. Because trust me, having to stay at boot camp 2 months longer because you are being processed out because of medical sucks more than going through training itself.