Practicalities of refueling during a run

Options
robpett2001
robpett2001 Posts: 320 Member
I've been running for about a year and a half, and it's only been in the last couple of months that my long distance runs have begun to go as long as two hours. I'm training for my first "real" half marathon now (did a "virtual" half last month), and I'm experimenting with gels and refueling strategies.

Having never run a distance race with other people, I just need some practical advise on what people normally do when it comes time to "eat a gel". So far, at least, I'm too uncoordinated to be able to pull out a gel packet, rip the top off, squeeze & suck the guts out, and then dispose of the trash while I'm running. I have to stop and walk while I do it. During a race, it just seems like a shame to give over a couple of valuable minutes for it...but if most folks "walk & gel", then I won't worry about trying to develop a "run & gel" technique.

What do you do when you refuel, and what do you see most other people doing during a race?

Replies

• Dark_Roast
    Dark_Roast Posts: 17,689 Member
    Options
    I am curious about this as well, as I just started running longer distances. I tried the gels, and I can get the package open and eat it while running, but it seems so messy! I've recently tried ClifBloks, and I like them better. But, I have also found out that they bounce when you drop them, they are slippery suckers!
  • schmenge55
    schmenge55 Posts: 745 Member
    Options
    Everybody is a bit different. I do NOT worry about gels for a 1/2 marathon or the training for a 1/2 but I do take a sports drink. If I am marathon training then I take gels on any long run as part of the training is doing what you are doing: figuring out how to do the gels! First, gels need to be taken with water so during a mrathon I take my gle (actually I like beans or blocks, but that is me) I take them just before or just after a water stop.

I've not had a problem with ripping and sucking it down while running. I think you just want some practice. Or try the beans or the blocks. Now you have to chew, but nothing to suck down. It is all trial to find out what works for you
  • robpett2001
    Options
    Good suggestions -- thanks. I'll have to give the blocks or beans a try.
  • marikevr
    marikevr Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    You get a little gel flask which you can fill with up to 3 gels at home. It has a sipper spout. It comes with a hand-strap, or with a belt loop so that you can attach the bottle to a hydration belt. You might give that a try.
  • cls_333
    cls_333 Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    As longs as you are fueled well beforehand, you should not need a gel or any food for a 1/2 marathon. If you do take one, be sure to drink plenty of water with it. I agree the gel flask would be best.
  • ChaseAlder
    ChaseAlder Posts: 804 Member
    Options
    My longest run to date was 13.7 miles, outside, somewhere between 90 and 100 degree weather. My hydration pack bladder burst at mile 4, pouring all my water down the back of my legs. I finished my run without water, let alone fuel gels. I really wouldn't worry about it for a half-marathon distance. It's only a couple hours.
  • miracole
    miracole Posts: 492 Member
    Options
    I tend to use sharkies or gu chomps for my longer runs. I just make sure my packages are open before the race so there is less fumbling. You can probably get used to the gels on the run with more practice, but if you don't have a ton of time the gel flask may be a good investment!
  • KimertRuns13_1
    Options
    My coach advises me to take a gel/Gu every 3/4 miles. I have noticed that I don't feel tired and ready to slow down towards the end of the race since using his method. I use to do chews but the gels are easier to take while still running (for me).
  • cynthiatwayne
    Options
    I prefer Accel Gel...the consistency is thinner than Gu and its less squeeze than pour when held in a pocket close to the body. I rip with my teeth and pour and then stuff back in my pouch and find that once I'm gel'd, I like to drink a few sips from my water bottle that I can take out drink and put back in its loops (all done during a run)....its amazing what you'll learn to do mid run but don't worry about a few steps of a walk or even a stop to fuel/drink if you need it. The few seconds won't detract to much in the overall time. Try a few different products and methods until you find the right fit for you. That's why they make so many. I do also like the sports beans but not the chomps.

For a half, I usually only gel once around mile 8. I will carry 2 though just in case I hit a wall....you never know.

One piece of advice, is don't try anything new on race day. The first time I ever had gatorade was during a half (my third). I always passed up the gatorade but it was hot out and that was my first grab. Downed it and had stomach trouble for the rest of the race. Nothing like battling stomach cramps for 6 miles. I still only drink the gatorade I carry...when they mix the powder with water is just bugs my stomach for some reason. I stick to just water at races.
  • robpett2001
    Options
    Great stuff -- thanks everybody. I've done a couple of long runs without refueling or water and I was kind of a zombie by the end...but that just might be because it was a new distance for me. I'll continue to experiment with the products you folks have mentioned AND with making the run "unassisted", and see what winds up working best for me.
  • schmenge55
    schmenge55 Posts: 745 Member
    Options
    I don't fuel (gel) anything less than about 2 1/2 hours unless I am marathon training. But unless really cold I always drink for anything over an hour. If you did not drink that could be the zombie effect
  • LisaO85
    LisaO85 Posts: 152
    Options
    I don't like the consistency of the gels so I use the sport beans. I pour some in a snack size zip loc bag and stick it in my skirt pocket. I can chew while running but drinking and running is where I run into trouble. You'll have to do some experimenting and see what works for you. I usually have something about every 5 miles, but you will figure out what works best for you.

I agree you do not want to try anything new on race day and that includes gatorade.

Have fun and enjoy your first race
  • lisaeshenour724
    lisaeshenour724 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I have figured out how to pull it out of my belt, tear off the end with my teeth, take the gel, and stuff the trash in my water bottle handle or back in my belt without practice.

Just takes a little practice.

I usually fuel if I am going much longer than an hour. I think it works differently for everyone. You just have to figure out what's best for you.
  • SteveTries
    SteveTries Posts: 723 Member
    Options
    Well Rob I think there are a number of relevant points already posted, but I'd like to add a couple.......

Probably you don't need fuel for a half. Many people more experienced that I am will tell you that and they should know. However I still take on fuel because I *think* I need it. Whether I do or not I don't know, but it aids my confidence so I do it.

I understand what you mean about the awkwardness of the gel's. Practice makes perfect, but you know what, I really doubt you are losing minutes if you stop and take it. You're probably looking at more like 10 seconds - max. It feels longer and like you I am loathe to ever stop. I was forced to during my first race though where they provided water in little plastic cups. After pouring the stuff all over my face at the first two stations I realised I was going to have to stand still, drink and get moving again. Total lost time 3 or 4 seconds and I was back into my stride instantly.

Personally I prefer Jelly Babies. Nicer flavour. I typically pop one every 2 kms, or sometimes every km after the 6km mark - though only on longer runs (16kms or above). I like this as it gives me a way to break up the distance into small stages after which I get a little reward.
  • tkillion810
    tkillion810 Posts: 591 Member
    Options
    During my training runs I'm usually good for about 10-12 miles without re-fueling. However, I have found I perform better and recover better when I do refuel when running over 10 miles as a time. I generally stick to the 30 minute rule of thumb. I usually pop a few sports beans every 30 minutes followed with a swig of water. It sits well in my stomach without being too much at once.

As far as walking while refueling, you'll see a lot of folks doing it. You really aren't losing any time. Also, if you notice, the water stops/aid stations can get very congested. Unless you are looking to run with the elite pack, you may be faced with times where you HAVE to walk through them because of all the people or the cups and water on the ground. Planning for it ahead of time takes out the anxiety of having to deal with it if it happens. Good luck on your training and race!
  • sarahc001
    sarahc001 Posts: 477 Member
    Options
    I had a pack of sport beans during my last half (less than two weeks ago) but I did a 6.4 mile run to the start before the race. I actually brought two packages with me but barely finished one. My (very limited) experience leads me to believe that you don't need it for a half, though it might help you mentally. I think of all of my gear (hydration, compression tights, goretex shell when it rains/snows) for my long runs as my "armor"- it just makes me feel like I can complete what I set out to do when I know I am prepared. In a similar sense, having the sport beans just felt like an added boost for me. BTW I used the "extreme" sport beans with caffeine. I can't stand the consistency of gels....

Good luck in your half!

Edit: refueling for longer runs is something I'm trying to get used to, myself!
  • RhodySeth
    RhodySeth Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    One piece of advice I followed when I ran my first marathon last May was to walk through the water stops, thus making it easier to drink water and eat the gel. It didn't cost me much time and made it much easier to refuel without making a huge mess on myself.