We can all DREAM too! YAY!!!!!! 1/21/2013

Options
garlic7girl
garlic7girl Posts: 2,236 Member
Today in celebration of Martin Luther King Jr and all he did for us...take a moment to celebrate that we ALL no matter race, gender or social-economic status can go anywhere to purchase our tasty treats and workout at any gym or recreations center or YMCA!
Now we all can dream and be a personal trainer, life coach, teach a class, be a RD or whatever...it is yours for the taking!

This would not have been so years ago!

PEACE & JOY
WW

Replies

• WarriorCupcakeBlydnsr
    WarriorCupcakeBlydnsr Posts: 2,150 Member
    Options
    It's true, I can remember (not that I was around in MLK's time) that when we moved up north it was almost an absolute that "girls did not 'do' science" if I had accepted that idea I wouldn't be doing a job I love, but I had the support from my family and once I moved back to Florida from the school system.

Now, I'm going to crawl on my couch and die for a few hours since I did one hour of Les Mills Pump, one hour of Les Mills Combat, and 30 minutes of Les Mills CX Works today (my gym's idea of an "I have a dream" holiday workout!)
  • tessavonhagen
    tessavonhagen Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    this is so true!!!
  • 47Jacqueline
    47Jacqueline Posts: 6,993 Member
    Options
    Today in celebration of Martin Luther King Jr and all he did for us...take a moment to celebrate that we ALL no matter race, gender or social-economic status can go anywhere to purchase our tasty treats and workout at any gym or recreations center or YMCA!
    Now we all can dream and be a personal trainer, life coach, teach a class, be a RD or whatever...it is yours for the taking!

This would not have been so years ago!

PEACE & JOY
    WW

This is so true
  • aakaakaak
    aakaakaak Posts: 1,240 Member
    Options
    A quick note on the YMCA. Yes, is stands for Young Men's Christian Academy. But it's inclusive to anybody who wants to get or stay fit in a family friendly environment. The center I go to has people of any color, creed, wealth, intelligence, age, or religion attending frequently. There are very few exclusions at the YMCA. It's generally $25 per person or $35 per family per month (although rates vary by area). Generally, this entitles you to full participation in general exercise classes and reduced fees for many other classes, like beginners swimming or karate. Most facilities have at least one swimming pool, weight room, teen room, free baby/kid sitting, cardio machine room, saunas and indoor basketball court. Sorry if this comes off as a gigantic advertisement.
  • carolesse66
    Options
    MLK definately helped bring the human race together. Would be nice if more people thought about us all as the human race. We all have to share this wonderful planet and we should all be able to get along. Love your neighbor as you would love your self.....well spoken and good words to live by. People should not be judged by the color of their skin, religion, gender, age......
    I am thankful for the opportunity to work and live in a community that is culturally diverse. After all, differences can bring us together just as much as similarities can.
    Today I went on-line to my health insurance website, I have a healthy fit membership that allows me to go to health clubs and utilize their amenities....Curves has been good to me but I want something with more hours available and there is a Fit-U 3 blocks from my house. I took a tour today and they have a woman's only area with a circuit training module!! Whoot! Whoot! And....they have 5:30 am cycling classes 3 mornings a week so I can work out, get the kids off to school and then go to work! Now I just need to get motivated to get my behind out of bed at 5am to attend the class!!!
  • lisaissasa
    lisaissasa Posts: 402 Member
    Options
    Amen Sister.
  • anorangie
    anorangie Posts: 975 Member
    Options
    A quick note on the YMCA. Yes, is stands for Young Men's Christian Academy. But it's inclusive to anybody who wants to get or stay fit in a family friendly environment. The center I go to has people of any color, creed, wealth, intelligence, age, or religion attending frequently. There are very few exclusions at the YMCA. It's generally $25 per person or $35 per family per month (although rates vary by area). Generally, this entitles you to full participation in general exercise classes and reduced fees for many other classes, like beginners swimming or karate. Most facilities have at least one swimming pool, weight room, teen room, free baby/kid sitting, cardio machine room, saunas and indoor basketball court. Sorry if this comes off as a gigantic advertisement.

You may be interested to know that your and WW's post inspired me to check out my local YMCA. My husband and I actually had a family membership several years ago, but we let it lapse and joined a less expensive gym that had longer hours and the equipment we were using at the time (cardio & weight machines).

But our little gym doesn't offer very many of the group classes that I like, so I looked at the Y's schedule. They have tons of yoga, pilates, and core classes, more than they've had in the past it seems, which is just what I was wanting. :)

So, I got an individual membership and am ready to go!

I must say that I am envious of the rates at your YMCA. :) Area Ys here are $45-50 for individuals depending on the branch, and $75-95 for families. That's one reason we switched in the past. But now that my Y has a more robust class schedule, I think it will be worth the individual rate for me. And the setting is very picturesque...big windows surrounded by big trees. I'll really enjoy it. :)