Race season

Options
beernpizza
beernpizza Posts: 431 Member
It's officially time to start signing up for some local 5k and 10k's around here. Most of the ones I want to do are around May, so I'll be 6 months pregnant by then. So my question is...If you saw a pregnant woman at a 5k, would you laugh or make fun of her? I'm afraid that people will look at me strange, but running in the races is something I don't want to give up no matter how big and slow I'll be at the time. Does anyone else plan on doing some runs? Should I just go ahead and sign up and say screw them if they don't like it? TIA

Replies

• GTSally
    GTSally Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I say go for it! I did a 5K on Sunday (at 15 weeks) and I'm signed up for a 10K in April and I'll be 6 months pregnant. I'm doing the 10K with a group of girlfriends and will probably be walking it with two other pregnant women who are about 5 weeks ahead of me. I'm sure the three of us are bound to get some stares and comments!

I know it's hard to not pay attention to the looks and rude comments once you're visibly pregnant, but as long as you have your OB or midwife's approval and you're listening to your body, then YOU know that it's perfectly safe!

I do know how you feel though - I'm doing spin class 2-3 times per week and I'm starting to get a little anxious about other people judging me regarding whether I'm putting my baby at risk. I guess I need to take my own advice too :smile:
  • beernpizza
    Options
    Thanks, I feel better knowing there are other pregnant women out there that will me running too. And I may be surprised, there may be lots at the races this summer. I'm going to go ahead and sign up. I really want to and I'll be mad at myself if I don't.
  • GTSally
    Options
    You always notice more pregnant women when you're pregnant yourself! Worst case if you sign up and don't feel up to running later in pregnancy, you can walk/run or just walk. Still great exercise no matter what!
  • RBXChas
    RBXChas Posts: 2,708 Member
    Options
    It's officially time to start signing up for some local 5k and 10k's around here. Most of the ones I want to do are around May, so I'll be 6 months pregnant by then. So my question is...If you saw a pregnant woman at a 5k, would you laugh or make fun of her? I'm afraid that people will look at me strange, but running in the races is something I don't want to give up no matter how big and slow I'll be at the time. Does anyone else plan on doing some runs? Should I just go ahead and sign up and say screw them if they don't like it? TIA

I would NEVER have looked at a pregnant woman weird or anything! I've done 5Ks and seen pregnant women, and I am quite impressed. Screw 'em if they think you're weird, and do your races!
  • RBXChas
    RBXChas Posts: 2,708 Member
    Options
    I do know how you feel though - I'm doing spin class 2-3 times per week and I'm starting to get a little anxious about other people judging me regarding whether I'm putting my baby at risk. I guess I need to take my own advice too :smile:

I Spin at a Spinning studio (as opposed to a gym that has Spin classes), and they are very pro-pregnant women, so long as their doctors are ok with it. One of the owners' niece was there once around 7 months pregnant, and she's a Spinning instructor elsewhere and was still teaching classes. One of the instructors where I go told me she taught Spin classes up through her 7th month. (After that it messed with her bike settings/balance on the bike, so she decided to take a break.)

My OB Spins as well and was very encouraging of my continuing to do it (I used to do it 4x/week - all she said was not to do any of the sprints - in other words, don't go breathless), but then I had light bleeding issues that got worse when I took classes. It turned out nothing was wrong, I just have a vascular cervix that got easily irritated, so she told me I should probably not Spin anymore until I'm cleared for exercise postpartum :frown: This way if I do have bleeding that's dangerous, I don't write it off as related to Spinning and ignore it.

Frankly, when I go to Spin classes, besides the social aspect, I'm so focused on what I'm doing that I'm not worried about anyone else or what they look like. To me it's like a judgment-free zone :happy:
  • CoyaCoya1913
    Options
    I went to a grand-opening at a Gold's Gym once and our instructor for Body Pump - Aerobics had to have been at least 7-8 months pregnant. Her stomach was HUGE. All I could remember thinking was......SHE. ROCKS. If she can do it....I can get my butt up and do it - it just pushed me to do more! :)

I admired her so much. :wink:
  • GTSally
    Options

I Spin at a Spinning studio (as opposed to a gym that has Spin classes), and they are very pro-pregnant women, so long as their doctors are ok with it. One of the owners' niece was there once around 7 months pregnant, and she's a Spinning instructor elsewhere and was still teaching classes. One of the instructors where I go told me she taught Spin classes up through her 7th month. (After that it messed with her bike settings/balance on the bike, so she decided to take a break.)

My OB Spins as well and was very encouraging of my continuing to do it (I used to do it 4x/week - all she said was not to do any of the sprints - in other words, don't go breathless), but then I had light bleeding issues that got worse when I took classes. It turned out nothing was wrong, I just have a vascular cervix that got easily irritated, so she told me I should probably not Spin anymore until I'm cleared for exercise postpartum :frown: This way if I do have bleeding that's dangerous, I don't write it off as related to Spinning and ignore it.

Frankly, when I go to Spin classes, besides the social aspect, I'm so focused on what I'm doing that I'm not worried about anyone else or what they look like. To me it's like a judgment-free zone :happy:

This is great info, thanks!! I figured I would keep going until it got uncomfortable. I wear a HRM and I've already noticed that I have been using easier gears and slowed down on the sprints in order to keep my heart rate at an acceptable level (which is 160s or below for me). And I can definitely see how my growing belly will get in the way later on and it will be hard or impossible to do the low/aero positions or jumps. Just another reason to keep up running and walking so I can do more of that when I have to give up my beloved spin class!!
  • lilchino4af
    lilchino4af Posts: 1,292 Member
    Options
    I say if Amber Miller could run a full marathon at 39 weeks pregnant, you can definitely do a 5K or 10K! As others mentioned already, who cares what others think; exercise is doing you good and you'll feel better when you beat them to the finish line :laugh: Good luck!

http://www.suntimes.com/news/metro/8136835-418/woman-gives-birth-after-running-chicago-marathon.html
  • dawnemjh
    dawnemjh Posts: 1,465 Member
    Options
    When i was pregnant with my first I ran 3-5 miles races up to my 7th month and noone ever said a word. Unfortunately this time around I cant go a mile without having to stop to pee so I can run outside anymore :(
    Good luck!!
  • beernpizza
    Options
    Thanks ladies for your input! I signed up for a 5k in May and there is another 5k in March that i'm going to sign up for also, just gotta get a team together!
  • complicatedmoves
    complicatedmoves Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    I just did the Hot Chocolate 5k, about a week ago, at six months pregnant. The looks I got were mixed of amazement and disgust. Some people were like " Way to go you finished !!", others were like " what the hell is that pregnant chick doing out here???". I have down 5ks and 10ks consistently for the past three years, it's nothing new to me. Just be prepared for mixed reviews.
  • jaimemariel
    jaimemariel Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    I was running 3 - 4 times a week, 3 to 5 miles a day before I got pregnant. I took a running break during the winter because it got so so cold. My pre pregnancy plan was to power through c25k again once it warmed up (but do it much faster than the 9 weeks). Does anyone think that this is still possible while pregnant? I will be just out of my first trimester when it starts to warm up and when I will be comfortable running again. My other thought is to just start now, but get a gym membership. I miss running so much!
  • mrs_dwr
    mrs_dwr Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    I did a 5k right before Christmas at 4.5 months pregnant (check out my profile pic). The only comments I heard were 'whoa, she's pregnant!' said with some amazement. In the first mile, I had a couple racers keeping pace with me (not wanting to be beaten by a pregnant lady) but I still ended up passing them for good after that first mile, lol! I did a combination of walking/jogging - just paid attention to my body's signals. It was fun, and I was proud of myself for doing it! I plan to sign up for one in Feb or March (haven't decided on which race yet) and I'll be about 30-33 weeks along. I say go for it!
  • 5one5oh
    5one5oh Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    A friend of mine asked me to do a tough mudder in July, (I will be 7 months pregnant).... normally I would be all over that, but I'm thinkin running through electricity isn't such a good idea =)

I love seeing fit mommas!! Keep up the running!
  • VelociMama
    VelociMama Posts: 3,119 Member
    Options
    If you are up for it, I say go for it! I would LOVE to see a pregnant lady running a 5k or 10k.

Good luck to you! :)
  • acampbe2umd
    acampbe2umd Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    I do a lot of running or did, I'm now 8 weeks from delivery, so I'm not quite running anymore. I was running 3-6 miles 2-3 days per week until around 24ish weeks or so, but then I had what felt like a slipped disc in my back and was out of running for about 3 weeks. I lost too much momentum to pick it back up unfortunately. But I would never judge someone for running at that time. Since I'm cheap, I would probably wait to register until I was closer and knew whether I would be able to still run, but only from a physical standpoint depending on how running went, not because of what others say. I've replaced my running with swimming because it's easier on my body and I still get a really good cardio workout doing laps.

I hate all the judgmental looks I get in the gym. I told my DH that I refuse to go the gym unless it's during my "normal" time because those guys that I lift with know me and my routine and don't think anything of my workouts, but others that don't know me I feel like constantly look at me, but I may just be too sensitive to it because I'm getting closer to the end.
  • VelociMama
    VelociMama Posts: 3,119 Member
    Options
    I hate all the judgmental looks I get in the gym. I told my DH that I refuse to go the gym unless it's during my "normal" time because those guys that I lift with know me and my routine and don't think anything of my workouts, but others that don't know me I feel like constantly look at me, but I may just be too sensitive to it because I'm getting closer to the end.

I got the stink eye from some lady at the gym this morning because I was on the elliptical for an hour. If she had said anything, I'd have flipped her off.

Don't let them get to you! :)
  • beernpizza
    Options
    If you are up for it, I say go for it! I would LOVE to see a pregnant lady running a 5k or 10k.

Good luck to you! :)

I've signed up for two 5k's so far, one in March and one in May, the one in May will be the biggie since I'll be 6months, but some of the girls on my team hate to run and they'll be walking, so if I don't feel up to running it I can walk with them.

I'm so excited though! And proud of myself for signing up!
  • sseratt
    sseratt Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I have 3 half marathons coming up. My last one I will be 25 weeks along. There are plenty of women who run while pregnant and I want to be able to do it too! Good luck, have fun, and just don't worry about your time!
  • sseratt
    sseratt Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I can totally see me having a meltdown on someone who was giving me the stink eye at a gym!! That is great. Where I workout, I am normally the only one there unless my DH is with me. It doesn't have a/c so I will be forced to join a real gym. I will keep in mind those that dare look at me weird! ha:wink: