Hostess parties

Options
MyChocolateDiet
MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
I do a lot of hostess parties, you know like tupperware, scentsy, avon, mary kay type stuff. SOmetimes it's hard to resist the food at these things. Do you ladies have any tips for going in with a plan? today I went over calories by 500 calories this way.

Replies

• Larisonlj
    Larisonlj Posts: 426 Member
    Options
    Since you never know what will be served at the parties, you either need to leave yourself room for theses calories or eat ahead of time and don't eat at the party. The temptation might be difficult for you though so go in with a strong mind and determination that you already had your snack and you're done.
  • Showmm
    Showmm Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    I find it a lot easier to say "no" than to say "stop". Meaning I can usually resist most things on a tempting evening, but I can't just have a couple of bites and then resist having any more. So for example, I was out a couple of weeks ago with friends with our kids and they ordered some garlic bread for the table. I didn't have any, as I knew I'd want several pieces if I had any. I said no, but then when there were only two pieces left, I had one. Someone else took the last piece, so I didn't even have to worry about that one fortunately!

Maybe hold out until late in the evening event and have a bit of the dessert or last snack just before you plan to go? That way at least you won't munch through the whole thing.
  • CricketsGirl
    CricketsGirl Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Try adding a generous allowance of calories into your snacks ahead of time for that day, figure out how much you'll need for meals and then do whatever exercise you need to do to make up the difference so that you can enjoy the food at your party. If you are hosting the party, you'll be able to figure out how many of those scrumptious treats will fit into what you've allowed for yourself.
  • katejkelley
    katejkelley Posts: 841 Member
    Options
    I agree with the advice "It's easier to say 'no' than to say 'stop'." That's how I quit processed sugar. I just don't have that first bite.
  • jeme3
    jeme3 Posts: 355 Member
    Options
    Those kind of parties usually don't involve a meal, just snacks, so make sure you're not hungry going in. Keep a glass of water in you hand, and drink up.

I also am a firm believer that it's easier to say no thanks than to stop.
  • Amber1070
    Amber1070 Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    I've learned to say no thanks and walk away. Eat before and chew gum during. That helps me to not eat or pick at things.
  • tatianna68
    tatianna68 Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    If you must snack stick to fruit and vegis and high protien if possible otherwise just say no. I do have sweets, but I stick to the 3 bite rule (no not the biggest bite you can take) that way I enjoy every bite slowly and savor the moment.

Eating before and lots of water is very important also.
  • barb1241
    barb1241 Posts: 324 Member
    Options
    If I am going to a friend's house for either a meeting or a hostess party-I have to assume they like me and want me to be healthy and happy. I take my own beverage-either hot tea with splenda, or diet dr. pepper-and my own snacks. If it's a potluck sortas thing, then I take something they can eat, but also my own portion of either that or something different that works for me. At those kinds of events, they should be happy you are attending and shopping-and whether you are sampling the goodies shouldn't matter.

My friends have all gotten used to it and don't seem to notice anything except the smaller clothes I wear, esp. if I haven't seen them in a while.
  • grward612
    grward612 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    I've learned to say no thanks and walk away. Eat before and chew gum during. That helps me to not eat or pick at things.

This works for me as well!!! "Eat before and chew gum during." If you have gum in your mouth, it's so much easier to NOT eat the snacks. I also agree with the poster who said to hold out until late ... then eat something small at the end of the party!