Doing Crossfit, wondering about what you all eat

Options
Thanks for having the group. I have worked out for years, but was ready to amp it up a bit. Since leaving the army in 2000, my endurance had plummeted, just maintaining muscle mass. So I joined crossfit, and am loving that feeling again. I know better than to worry about the 10lbs I have gained in the last 2-3 weeks, since my body is adjusting, but nevertheless, I want to investigate how I should start altering what I am eating. Honestly, I have been eating well under what I should be. (about 1000-1200 calories a day). It has been a rough few weeks. The GF left me, trying to work on my dissertation etc. Perhaps that is the issue. Anyway. If anyone is willing to friend me so I could take a look at their log, I would appreciate it...comments surely welcome as well. THANKS.
Steve

Replies

• kelr0110
    kelr0110 Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    I was curious about this too, because Paleo seems to be the "food plan of choice" with CrossFit, so I was wondering how many are following this or just eating balanced whatever and not on a specific plan.

Right now I am doing a hybrid of MFP logging and mostly pen and paper logging with weight watchers points, so I wouldn't be any help with the diary thing unfortunately, but am looking forward to peoples' comments. Are you trying to eat a specific way or just overall healthy and "clean"?

It's kind of cool because my box is handing out Paleo meal samples this week, so I'm looking forward to trying these :)
  • kcowart
    Options
    I'm eating my meals in the Zone.
  • Sasquatchrider
    Sasquatchrider Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    I'm what I refer to as 85% paleo. Lots of veggies and fruits, nuts, seeds, high quality meat. I do eat greek yogurt but limit my milk consumption to about 2 cups/week. I also eat a few whole grains but we're talking like 2-3 servings/week. I of course have better and "worse" days.
  • vinstevel
    Options
    Well, I am not sure I have a specific plan. I just want to make sure that I am refueling well, but being confident that the food I am eating isn't adding on this extra weight. Now gained a total of 12lbs despite so few calories.
  • caribougal
    caribougal Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    Hi. I can't see your diary, but your cals do sound low. That happens sometimes... life!

The only explanation for the gain if your calories are really that low is water retention as your muscles break down, repair, and grow.

Why don't you take body measurements instead of watching the scale. See if you can get a body fat reading at your crossfit box. If not, just break out the tape measure, and track against that. With 12 lb gain, you should be able to tell if that's fat belly gain or strong muscle man gain.
  • shaywallis
    shaywallis Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    I do about 75% Paleo and average around 1,800-2.100 cal a day. I'll friend you if you want to take a peek at my diary.
  • Z_I_L_L_A
    Z_I_L_L_A Posts: 2,399 Member
    Options
    They set me up with 19 blocks of a balanced diet. Haven't started yet, thats probably why I'm not doing as well as I should with the workouts. Still though, I gained weight 241lbs up from 237. 198 lbs of lean muscle mass at 17% BF. Down from 19%.
  • Mummyadams
    Mummyadams Posts: 1,125 Member
    Options
    I do about 80% Primal which is Paleo with dairy added. I have only being doing this for a week but already I am finding my shape changing - I am really enjoying it at the moment but it is hard finding foods (especially snacks) to eat that aren't carb based.
    You can friend me if you want to see my diary - it's pretty accurate except on weekends when I am less restrictive.
  • ShellBell4281
    ShellBell4281 Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    Im doing Fast 5 right now. It's a form of intermittent fasting where you fast 19 hours a day, feed for 5. I tried doing paleo but I'm not ready for that. I quit smoking a month ago, started crossfit a couple weeks ago. I'm just doing one by change at a time.

Fasting comes naturally to me.
  • sara_m83
    sara_m83 Posts: 545 Member
    Options
    Are you sure you're counting calories accurately? Logging absolutely everything and weighing foods to be certain of quantity? There's absolutely no way to gain on such a low avg daily intake, especially if you're doing rigorous exercise like Crossfit.

While Crossfit advocates a Paleo diet, I live by the IIFYM mantra. I aim for 1g of protein per 1lb of lean body mass, and spread my macros as: 40% carbs, 30% fat, 30% protein. These are the same amounts suggested by "The Zone" diet, I believe?

Mostly, weight loss is about what works for you. Be extremely consistent with logging and weighing foods, not just estimating. Use a BMR calculator to work out what your TDEE is and then aim for a 20-25% deficit.
  • Sasquatchrider
    Sasquatchrider Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    Im doing Fast 5 right now. It's a form of intermittent fasting where you fast 19 hours a day, feed for 5. I tried doing paleo but I'm not ready for that. I quit smoking a month ago, started crossfit a couple weeks ago. I'm just doing one by change at a time.

Fasting comes naturally to me.

Good for you. At this point occassionaly gluttony come far too easily for me.
  • Mrs_Duh
    Mrs_Duh Posts: 263
    Options
    I'm currently 80% Paleo, 100% of the time. : )
  • Par8hed4life
    Par8hed4life Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    I'm currently 80% Paleo, 100% of the time. : )

^^^This is me too!^^^
    I will friend you so you can peek at my diary too!
  • vinstevel
    Options
    Well things are going better for me now. I lost the 12 I gained. I am not quite ready for any specific diet. I just keep exercising and changed a few things. Seems to be working. I started forcing myself to eat breakfast, and that has seemed to help a lot with not eating so much at night. I have been eating around 1300-1500 cal a day of all pretty good food..mostly lean animal proteins and vegetables. SInce it is working for now, I will just keep at it, but then maybe check out paleo as I find the need. Honestly, I am pretty happy with my muscle mass. I want to have more endurance and shrink my waist a bit.