Starting Weight

Options
Have any women on here started at the original starting weights? I started SL yesterday before my first day of week 3 of C25K and I used the weights he gave for the first work out. I'm on a MWF schedule doing StrongLifts and C25K working on losing about 140lbs.

Body Weight: 267lbs
Fat %: ~45%
Bench: 45
Squat: 45
Barbell Row: 65

I don't plan on increasing as quickly as the program does because I'm not a dude (lol) but just looking to see if anyone else was able to start at the begining weights and to see how they progressed without burning out or breaking something. I was planning on increasing the squats at 5lbs until I have to deload, and then increasing upper body stuff 2.5lbs.

Replies

• tameko2
    tameko2 Posts: 31,634 Member
    Options
    i started with those weights, and 65 with the squat, and I went up 5 lbs per session until 85 on the bench, 65 on the press, 150 on the squats, and .... i don't recall on the row.

Its quite doable from the starting weights especially if you have already done some strength training (even with dumbbells) .
  • JBG1987
    JBG1987 Posts: 71
    Options
    So what do you do when you've reached your max? Keep lifting your max to maintain the muscle?
  • tameko2
    tameko2 Posts: 31,634 Member
    Options
    When you've stalled twice, you'll move to an intermediate program that increases weights a lot more slowly. You'll never really stop increasing, but after your initial "beginner" gains you'll increase a LOT more slowly.

So for example, going from 45 to 150 in a year is very reasonable, but then going from 150 to 300 in a year is not at ALL reasonable. Its not a linear path. So it would be reasonable to see like - 45 to 150 for year one. then 150 to 200 for year two. Then 200-225 for year 3. (pulling those numbers outta my *kitten* but hopefully you get the idea)
  • JBG1987
    JBG1987 Posts: 71
    Options
    So you increase weight at a decreasing rate. Lol, that rhymes.
  • karensoxfan
    karensoxfan Posts: 902 Member
    Options
    I'm giving this plan a shot and starting at the "beginning" weights (45 lb. squats, 45 lb. bench, 65 lb. row, 45 lb. overhead, and 95 lb. DL).

I had completed NROLFW in November, and even though my squats were up to 100 lb., and DL up to 115, bench up to 70 lb. (all for fewer than 25 total reps), I decided that the increased reps warranted following this plan as intended, and I'm glad I did, because my first day of 5x5 squats kicked my *kitten* and I could barely walk for 2 days afterwards from DOMS.