How compassionate are you?

Options

Replies

• njean888
    njean888 Posts: 399 Member
    Options
    Interesting read, however I do not see myself anymore compassionate than my many (actually every) religious friends. That's just me though, my two cents.
  • majorbaka
    majorbaka Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I think compassion is to some extent "built in" to us to help preserve society and many do do good because its the right thing to do - without guidance from an invisible god.

I like to feel I'm compassionate because I like to help others - not because of some reward or punishment in a fictitious "afterlife!
  • BigDog
    BigDog Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    Unfortunately, if I'm being honest, I would have to say I'm not very compassionate. At least not when it comes to giving to the fly buzzed children or limping dogs on those ridiculous whiny pleas for money on the TV. And... No I don't want to add 25 cents for blah, blah, blah charity as I'm trying to order this huge cheeseburger and extra large fries that I shouldn't be...

See I told you. It's not that I'm not compassionate. It's just that I'm not that emotional and tend to be logical in my thinking. I just don't get worked up over things. Having said that... I am extremely generous when it comes to my friends and family and when I am presented with a good and logical solution to a known problem I am willing to support it and help out. When I encounter a person in need I am more often than not going to reach out to help them. I guess I just don't like being begged from. Give me a good story, and reason that you need help and I am probably going to help you. (but it will have to be in person... Not some staged and scripted shaming. Those, simply, just don't work on me)

I don't think religion, faith, belief, or the lack thereof have anything to do with it. I think it is purely a person by person basis.