Hey!!

Options
2»

Replies

• alpine1994
    alpine1994 Posts: 1,915 Member
    Options
    It's a good fun, we do some barre work and then some movement down the room and then our teacher, who is an ex-musical theatre performer, teaches us some of her fun routines from when she was on stage. Makes it a bit more fun for us as we don't take it really seriously.

That sounds so fun! I take an adult ballet class twice per week and I'm thinking about adding the adult jazz class next year (Sept.). The adult jazz performs in the recital though...don't know if I ever want to be dancing on stage under bright lights again! haha :)
  • bramley1911
    bramley1911 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    It's a good fun, we do some barre work and then some movement down the room and then our teacher, who is an ex-musical theatre performer, teaches us some of her fun routines from when she was on stage. Makes it a bit more fun for us as we don't take it really seriously.

That sounds so fun! I take an adult ballet class twice per week and I'm thinking about adding the adult jazz class next year (Sept.). The adult jazz performs in the recital though...don't know if I ever want to be dancing on stage under bright lights again! haha :)

I'd love to get back on stage! Unfortunately we don't get that option. Hopefully some day I will just so I can prove to my boyfriend all my classes have actually taught me to dance :)
  • TheSpicyMermaid
    TheSpicyMermaid Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    Welcome Dawn!! :D
    thanks! So, did you complete that 30 day challenge? 30 minutes a day is a lot to me!
    Yeah I never did the whole 30 minutes. I usually did about 10, lol. I did a lot of days, but kind of lost track towards the end there. I still stretch every day but not like I was. Hey, I'm still bendy! LOL!

I won a bet the other night that I couldn't do a split (poor guy didn't know I was a dancer, just knew that I was pushing 40 y.o. and claimed to be flexible). I did a split right there in the bar, in jeans and cowboy boots, and got $20. Sucker!!! So yeah, it's totally possible to keep flexibility if you don't ever let it go. Now, I can't kick my face in a grand battement or leap like I used to, but do I really need to?

Hi Sarah! Your combined class sounds really fun. We've talked about starting a class like that, as our beginning adult ballet class is starting to fizzle out a little.
    LMAO That's awesome!!
  • wyodawn
    wyodawn Posts: 217 Member
    Options

I always give my students the option to perform or not. Most of them get caught up in the fun and end up wanting to do it, but it's always an option to participate in the piece but not perform. Don't let it hold you back from taking the class because your teacher may give you that option.

We just started our Broadway segment (I teach a mix of lyrical, commercial jazz and Broadway to give them a good mix). Forgot how much I loved the razzle dazzle. When in doubt...**jazz hands** :)
  • JULIEdance
    JULIEdance Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    Hi! Another adult beginner ballerina here :smile:
    I had some previous experience with other styles (folk, modern, flamenco, historical and also gymnastics though not very advanced), but I only had my first propper ballet class when I was 18. On and off several times since, flirting with figure skaitng as well, but in the end, ballet seems to be the love of my life.
    I´m happy to find this group and I am here for anyone for support and sharing the joy of dancing.
  • Dameeis
    Dameeis Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Hello! I'm from Mexico and I've danced ballet since I was 14 (i'm 23). I simply love to dance! =)
  • americangoods
    americangoods Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hello! I'm Jen and I just went back to ballet as an adult last year. I hadn't studied ballet since I was 12, but had been taking modern classes and things through my teens and into my twenties. I constantly dreamed about ballet and so finally, at age 30 I went back to the ballet studio and I'm so glad I didn't wait a moment longer. I currently take two classes a week but am looking to increase that by number as well as take some occasional private lessons. Nice to virtually meet everyone!
  • TheSpicyMermaid
    TheSpicyMermaid Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    Hello! I'm Jen and I just went back to ballet as an adult last year. I hadn't studied ballet since I was 12, but had been taking modern classes and things through my teens and into my twenties. I constantly dreamed about ballet and so finally, at age 30 I went back to the ballet studio and I'm so glad I didn't wait a moment longer. I currently take two classes a week but am looking to increase that by number as well as take some occasional private lessons. Nice to virtually meet everyone!

Hello there!!! :D
  • wyodawn
    Options
    Hi Dameeis! And hi Jen, it's so nice to see adults return to ballet :) A lot of my students didn't dance for 20 or more years and they find that they never fell out of love with it.
  • QueenoftheWillis
    QueenoftheWillis Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I love seeing so many dancers, especially beginner adults!! It's really important that good ballet training is accessible to people of all ages! :)
  • MrsMariaWesley
    Options
    Hi there! I'm new to MFP and to this group. I want to lose a few pounds so that I can go back to ballet class (alas, adult ballet class, since I'm 35 and the last time I danced for real I was 17). I'm not even thinking about pointe... I just want to look acceptable in my leotard! :ohwell:
    Anyhow, it's cool to see other dancers around here.
    Cheers!

44226409.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
  • wyodawn
    Options
    Hi there! I'm new to MFP and to this group. I want to lose a few pounds so that I can go back to ballet class (alas, adult ballet class, since I'm 35 and the last time I danced for real I was 17). I'm not even thinking about pointe... I just want to look acceptable in my leotard! :ohwell:
    Anyhow, it's cool to see other dancers around here.
    Cheers!

44226409.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

Hi! I think that's one of the best things about teaching adult ballet - I love that my students are all shapes and sizes and yet come to dance because they love it. Most of them took it as kids and have really missed it.
  • KaelaLee88
    KaelaLee88 Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    Hi! I'm Kaela and i'm returning to Ballet after a 6 year break! I'm aiming to lose 110 and I want Ballet in my life again.

Only dancing at home recreationally for now but would love to eventually take an Adult Class and get back En Pointe :smile:

I'm so glad to have found such a great group on MFP! Looking forward to getting to know you all :flowerforyou:

Kaela x
  • charlouiselb
    charlouiselb Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Hey gals! I’m looking to revive these ballet threads!

I danced ballet (and jazz/hip-hop/lyrical) as a kid. As a teenager I was dancing 20 hours a week and in college I slowed way down, but continued and even danced in Paris for a year on study-abroad. Once I got out into the ‘real world’ of 9-5, marriage, grad school, 3 kids, etc dancing was a distant memory.

Here I am 20 years past my last real studio class, 45lbs heavier & trying to get in shape. Having a group on ballet dancers (or burlesque, etc) would be awesome. Are any of you still out there in MFP? :-)