Cravings: How do you deal?

Options
freedomis
freedomis Posts: 55 Member
How do you all deal with cravings?

I substitute chips for air popped pop corn!

Replies

• xprettyreckless
    xprettyreckless Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    Sighs. Unfortunately, I don't. When I have real cravings, and I eat one thing, one things leads to another
    and BAM, I ate 500 calories worth of sweets.

FML, is all I can say.

When you find out how to deal with cravings, please do tell!
  • patsysue01
    patsysue01 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I am trying to substitute healthier options at this point. I am in the early stages of my weight loss and don't really have a set plan yet.
  • Americanbabydoll
    Americanbabydoll Posts: 1,255 Member
    Options
    If I have a craving I eat whatever it is I'm craving. If I don't and I try to completely cut it out then I will eat too much of it later. I don't eat a lot of whatever I'm craving. Just enough to cure the craving.
  • deja_blu
    deja_blu Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    I usually eat a smaller portion of whatever it is I'm craving. If I want a burger and fries, I get the junior portion. If I want ice cream. instead of buying a quart or pint of it, just get a cup (from McDonald's, DQ, wherever [YUM]). That way you can eat it and it's gone! LOL

5499814.png
  • littlemzkitty
    littlemzkitty Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    I do the same as deja_blu. My trick is to not bring it in the house. Cheeze-its are a big thing for me, but I will eat a box a week, so if I'm REALLY craving them, I will get them here at work, the little snack size they sell at the store here. I will also try to substitute, if I'm craving a burger, I'll get a turkey burger. It works about 80% of the time and I am satisfied.
  • Sylkwyrm
    Sylkwyrm Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    I also eat smaller portions of what I'm craving and I try to add substitutes to help fill me up at the same time. Like sometimes I crave peanut butter so I'll have a little peanut butter with some apple wedges. Or if I'm craving chips I'll have them with lots of salsa.
  • Sylkwyrm
    Sylkwyrm Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    Oh! And for chocolate, Jello makes a sugar free chocolate mouse that is only 60 calories. Yum!
  • martinbeks
    martinbeks Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    It depends. Last night, I was craving Runza French Fries (God's food, I'm telling you!), but I think I was just really hungry. I went home, where dinner was waiting for me, and I was fine.

Then on Monday, lunch wasn't really sticking with me, and I couldn't figure out why, so I had a banana with melted peanut butter and a few chocolate chips, and I guess I was just craving something sweet. Hit the spot.

I think it's just a learning curve to be mindful of what you're eating, and listen to your body's cues. If the craving won't go away after you try to sway it with something else, try a little bit of what you're craving. See if that helps.
  • Lsteedly85
    Lsteedly85 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    Usually I have a chocolate healthy shake or freeze egg whites with Hershey unsweetened coco powder and stevia, it taste like chocolate milk... if cravings something salty, there are these sweet and salty mixed nuts, they get me everytime, super dangerous!! :)

Here is a great link that references what your body is actually craving when you want something... It's a great tool to remember some of them.

http://www.dailytransformations.com/2011/05/05/food-cravings-here-is-what-your-body-really-wants/
  • sarabeth120
    sarabeth120 Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    I usually eat some fruit or something else sweet because that's usually what I'm craving and then I chew gum in order to prevent myself from overeating. It works really well for me! :)

Though, if I have a really bad case of chocolate craving (which happens a couple times a week) then I'll eat one of Skinny Cow's numerous low calories chocolate snacks (I personally like their dreamy clusters and divine filled chocolates). That way, I get my fix, but I don't go overboard!
  • Angeliize
    Options
    Depends on what I am craving but I typically have the craving in a smaller portion or substitute it. A protein drink can quench many cravings for me but I got out of the habit of drinking them. Have to start doing that again.
  • select_chic
    Options
    I go with a glass of orange juice for the afternoon craving and a slice of cheese for the before going to bed craving. An apple or fruit in the morning before lunch does the trick.
  • RunningRichelle
    RunningRichelle Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    Usually, if I'm having cravings, it means that my nutrition isn't where it should be. I try to 'front-load' most of my calories, by making sure I have a really awesome, filling breakfast and lunch to nip any hunger and naughty snacking in the bud.

It also depends on what I'm craving. If I'm craving chocolate, I go for some dark chocolate and keep the portions small.

If I'm craving something like chips (and honestly I haven't had a chip-craving for a looooooong time), I eat something else that I really like, like some nuts/seeds/hard-boiled egg with a yummy spice sprinkled onto it.
  • chandanista
    chandanista Posts: 986 Member
    Options
    I'm lucky on my cravings; chocolate isn't something I like much at all, for one thing. Usually it's something like red meat (need to make new blood), peanut butter (never craved this until I was pregnant with my son, now I want it all the time) or a donut (that one's fairly recent, and the last time I had a donut it didn't taste right/quite satisfy the craving, so I'm hoping that one's run its course). I've found if I work it into my numbers for the day, I do better tomorrow and the next because I'm not craving it anymore. If I deny myself, then I still want the whatever and overdo it when I do eat the whatever it is.

I like being flexible and not necessarily denying myself, because someday I'll be at goal weight and I'd like to know how to stay there--cravings and all!
  • RachelRuns9
    RachelRuns9 Posts: 585 Member
    Options
    I love this post!

I'm with some of the posters here - I don't really get cravings for anything specific! Usually I just have a craving to eat something filling. In that case I will have a Quest protein bar, oatmeal, gum, or a type of drink sweetener like crystal light.