Realistic Recipes

Options
netty_me
netty_me Posts: 7 Member
Does anyone else have a problem sticking to UBER healthy foods because of the lifestyle in the area?
Beef on everything!
Potatoes for every meal!
Gravy for breakfast!

It's all well and good, (in fact, its absolutely delicious) but I find it hard to break free from the heavy, oversized portions of comfort food. Any low calorie substitutions out there for your standard midwestern appetite?

Replies

• asratka
    asratka Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I totally agree. If you dont' have potatoes and corn and. . .and. . .and. . .and.

It all adds up and when you try to eat small (as a guy) you get looked at funny.

The only thing I have found is to just reduce the portion sizes myself. If I cook it, it's going to be a smaller meal. If I go out, then I will make two meals out of the one they serve.
  • Domestic_Hippie
    Domestic_Hippie Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    I just stopped buying it for the house for the most part. I have a steamer and I have a lot of steamed tilapia and steamed veggies. I do have a potato with it sometimes, one is approximately 100 cals so it isnt going to "ruin" my calories for the day haha When I go out, I just try to plan ahead. A lot of the time I will order my food and ask for a box at the same time. Cut it all in half and save the rest for later :)
  • netty_me
    netty_me Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Those are great suggestions. I've been working with some potato side-dish substitutions this week, including a delicious Spaghetti Squash AuGratin, blanched asparagus, and some spiced roasted sweet potatoes. I've never cooked sweet potatoes or any type of squash, but they were SOOO GOOD!

I had planned on using @Domestic_Hippies idea for portioning off half of the meal when I go out, but I really don't eat out all that often. I just really like carb heavy foods! :)
  • asratka
    asratka Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I love carbs myself and don't really care for steak that much (and no, I don't say that often around here), so I do tend to be more carb heavy in my diet. I have really had to watch how much I eat or be willing to work out like crazy if I over do it. And when I make my own spaghetti, I over do it.

I have to purposely tell myself to eat more meat for the protein even though it's really not my first choice.
  • AlwaysInMotion
    AlwaysInMotion Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    I've gone semi-low-carb and I don't eat beef/pork (a teensy lie - I love wrapping things in prosciutto). I consume lots of chicken, fish, seafood, eggs, and some soy "meat" around my house. I do a lot of oven baking, some sauteing (grilling when it's warm out). I swore off fried stuff, too. I roast/steam a lot of veggies, too. I've noticed that no matter how badly I adulterate fish or chicken (butter, seasonings, a delicate sauce... just not battered or fried), it's still really healthy, ounce for ounce. My meat-and-potatoes guy really likes recipes I cook out of the Cook This, Not That cookbooks. I also just bought the Hungry Girl Max cookbook...
  • joemyfit
    Options
    I just stopped buying it for the house for the most part. I have a steamer and I have a lot of steamed tilapia and steamed veggies...

Much like Domestic_Hipp, I too simply stopped buying the foods that knock me off my diet. I still have bad foods now and then, just not all the time. I mainly shop the outter circle of the Hy-Vee and stay out of the aisles. Oatmeal and wild rice are my main carbs now. I love both and the rice is very versatile.

Now, with that said, I still brew and drink beer. Just not as much or as often as I used to. I am also the first to admit that the beer I do have is slowing my overall progress. But sometimes you got to have a small vice and I do try to counter act it a little with 60 mile bike rides and long runs.

I LOVE LOVE LOVE food, so for me I only by and cook what I will eat for that meal. Leftovers are too tempting for me.