Low cal Dinners whole family likes

Options
What are some go to dinners your family enjoys that are quick and low cal?

Replies

• jules1202
    jules1202 Posts: 65
    Options
    Turkey chili with low fat cheese and greek yogurt instead of sour cream. (Sometimes cornbread with it)

Mexican chicken soup (made in the crock pot)

Chicken and stir fry veggies and brown rice

My kids are 2 and 12 and they love these and they are all pretty quick to make.

Have you tried flavored couscous (I think the best brand is Near East and you find it by the yellow rice in most stores)? It is very healthy and cooks quickly and makes a great side dish instead of potatoes or rice.
  • 2jayjaysmom
    2jayjaysmom Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    My quick meal is spaghetti and I add veggies to it...If there are some leftover veggies in the fridge it goes in the pot...I put in corn/peas/zucchini/carrots etc.
    The kids love it and they get in more veggies
  • vlrox69
    vlrox69 Posts: 10
    Options
    Mhm, i have never tried veggies in the spaghetti before. I think a healthy go to meal for us would be grilled chicken breast and grilled veggies. we also grill shrimp with veggies.
  • 2jayjaysmom
    2jayjaysmom Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    Mhm, i have never tried veggies in the spaghetti before. I think a healthy go to meal for us would be grilled chicken breast and grilled veggies. we also grill shrimp with veggies.

Try peas first then you can add other veggies like carrots or even zucchini --just mix it all in...I buy the Ragu sauce (Garden something) it already has some chuncks of veggies in it so its easy to add more
  • mmsilvia
    mmsilvia Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    I love to use my crock pot for quick & healthy family dinners.

layer chix (pork or beef) on bottom of crock pot
    Uncooked whole grain rice (or sliced potatoes)
    A can of reduced fat cream of mushroom soup (or cream of cheese, chix, broccoli or any other kind of cream soup)
    Add some broth (chix, beef or veggie)
    A bag of frozen veggies on top.
    Cook on low for about 8 hours.

Love coming home from a crazy day and walking into a house smelling all yummy!!! And, the best part is there is very little clean up :love:
  • ashleyb457
    ashleyb457 Posts: 4
    Options
    That sounds great mmsilvia. What kinda of beef and pork do you use? like stew meat or what? I made great Turkey meatballs yeasterday.

1 lb ground turkey
    1 egg
    1 tbs italian seasoning
    salt and pepper
    parmesan cheese maybe 1/4 a cup or a little less than that
    mix all up and than use about 2 tbls of mixture per meatball
    place on backing dish and bake for about 30 min at 375
    add a jar of favorite pasta sauce and bake until warm
    sprinkle with mozzarella cheese back until melted

the whole family liked this one!
    21365265.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
  • boopbabs
    boopbabs Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    :heart: Uncle Ben's Whole Grain Medleys - the brown rice with wild rice and the roasted garlic seasoned brown rice with red & black quinoa - 90 secs

:heart: Skinless, boneless chicken breast seasoned with cumin, chili powder, cayenne pepper, garlic salt and pepper

:heart: any steamed bright colored veggie
  • twinsmom1
    Options
    Chicken A'la King

Serves 4 people
    Skinless/boneless chicken breast: 24 oz (seasoned with season salt and garlic powder)
    98/99% fat free mushroom soup
    6 oz frozen peas
    Skim Milk
    Water
    Ground Pepper

Brown chicken (drain if needed)
    Add mushroom soup-whole can
    Use mushroom soup can, pour half can of skim milk and half can of water in and mix.
    Simmer for 7 minutes, stirring consistently
    Add frozen peas, simmer for 5 minutes occasionally
    Add pepper to taste (sometimes I use red pepper if I want it spicier)

Can serve with multigrain noodles of any kind
  • bgelliott
    bgelliott Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    We do a lot of grilled chicken in my house with Rice and veggies. I always make tons of rice so I can just warm up the leftovers. The veggies are quick and easy to warm up and so long as I pull the chicken out the night before, it's thawed and ready to go when I get home. 10 minutes on the grill each side and I'm done! :-)

Grilled or baked Fish is quick too :-)

Some days I will cook up some ground beef and toss 4 ounces over a bed of greens. Takes about 10 minutes total and it's so yummy.
  • robynn412
    robynn412 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    Tomorrow night we're having make your own pizza's...I don't know why we haven't done this before, easy, cheap, and I'm hoping there's a fun factor there for the 5yr old, right?

Individual sized pizza crusts
    low fat shredded mozzarella
    pizza sauce
    pepperoni
    onion
    bell peppers
    mushrooms
    black olives

This way, everyone can make what they want, and I can pile mine w/all the veggies and feel a bit indulgent in having pizza w/out the guilt of ordering pizza. :smile: This may end up being a weekly event.
  • Linli_Anne
    Linli_Anne Posts: 1,360 Member
    Options
    Some of my go to meals for week night suppers are:

Ground Beef or Ground Chicken Tacos
    Crock pot roasts (beef/pork) or whole chickens
    Dijon Chicken
    Spaghetti
    Salmon or other fish fillets
    Shrimp
    Bacon and Eggs, or Omelettes
    French Toast
  • daisiemae123
    daisiemae123 Posts: 277 Member
    Options
    Love my slow cooker for go to meals. This week I am doing boneless chicken breasts with some light ranch dressing and buffalo sauce, shred when cooked through (I leave them on all day while I am at work - about 8 hours on low) hubby and I eat it on salad and my 2 year old likes it wrapped up in a tortilla. We also like all kinds of chilies and spaghetti sauce in the slow cooker (I add lots of veggies to both). Other go to meals are tacos (with low carb tortillas or salads) enchiladas (love to do this with chicken leftovers and fill it out with beans and veggies) and since we got the indoor grill for Christmas I have been grilling shrimp with lots of veggies and rice or couscous.
    Lots of other great ideas here thanks folks!