day 4 and failed OHP!

vickiaf
vickiaf Posts: 59 Member
Ok so I am new to lifting. Today was workout B (day 4) I decided to do 30 day shred before hand as a kind of warm up (I am doing this at home) BIG mistake! To be honest the shred kind of wipes me out anyway but I really struggled with the overhead press after.

Has anyone else struggled so soon after starting? Or was it the shred that fatigued my muscles?

I managed 43lb (converted from kg) 5, 5, 4, 3, 3 reps

I think what I am trying to ask is should I be able to lift much more than this over the coming weeks if I stop wearing myself out first?

Another question (told you I was new to this!) my plan at the moment goes

Mon - Fri 30 day shred
Mon - Fri 1 hour walk (school run)
2 x Stronglifts (Wed & Sun)
1x run (Sun) approx 5k

Does this seem ok? I am eating TDEE - 20% which is 1700 cals. I have around 29 lbs to go until my first goal.

Thanks in advance

Replies

• tameko2
    tameko2 Posts: 31,634 Member
    I'm pretty sure it was just the shred. The shred is designed to just absolutely exhaust your muscles. I loathe it. Don't do that next time and you will be just fine.
  • alwyndacara
    alwyndacara Posts: 30 Member
    I dunno, I failed on my FIRST set of OHPs!! 20kgs and I still couldn't do them!! Did them the next time though, I'm thinking I might be stalling A LOT on them!
  • tameko2
    I dunno, I failed on my FIRST set of OHPs!! 20kgs and I still couldn't do them!! Did them the next time though, I'm thinking I might be stalling A LOT on them!

i would go straight ot 3x5 for you then, don't even try for 5x5,
  • alwyndacara
    alwyndacara Posts: 30 Member
    I meant stalled on the 5x5. I ended up with the same profile as vickiaf - 5, 5, 4, 3, 3.
  • tameko2
    I meant stalled on the 5x5. I ended up with the same profile as vickiaf - 5, 5, 4, 3, 3.

yeah so - rather than bashing your head agaisnt 5x5 for weeks, go ahead to 3x5 now and hopefully see some actual progress
  • HIITMe
    HIITMe Posts: 921 Member
    I think the 30DS did you in....

on the days I lift( M-W-Fr) , I do nothing else besides a 15 min walk on the treadmill as a warm up ( at 2.5 to 3.0 speed)

on Tues, Thurs, Sat ...I do 2-a-days.... Swimming, cycling and or c25K

now that Im realizing that Yoga may be of some help, Im going to figure out how to fit that in as well.....likely, twice a week replacing 1 of each of the cycling and c25K....
  • OkieinMinny
    OkieinMinny Posts: 834 Member
    I agree with the consensus of the 30Day shred - I KNOW when I am doing OHPs (which still suck for me) that I tend to do those on a day I am ONLY lifting (with a walk/elliptical warm-up) they are a bugger - Im only at 60# and have been doing them since sept - BUT my other lifts have progressed rather nicely - just keep it up and dont get fatigued before you do those lifts

Good Luck!
  • vickiaf
    Thanks everyone, I will definately cut out the shred until after I lift next time! I'm quite happy with my other progress on all the other lifts.
  • karensoxfan
    karensoxfan Posts: 902 Member
    I did my first workout B today, and had a tough time with 45 lb. overhead press. I did 5x5, but I think I'm going to stall a lot on this one too.
  • vickiaf
    I seem to have much better lower body strength, but we will get stronger!
  • Radiskull
    Radiskull Posts: 70 Member
    When I get stuck on this I modify it to a push press until I get it, but I can't progress on this exercise as well as I want to because I can't clean more than 55 lbs.
  • Will_Thrust_For_Candy
    Will_Thrust_For_Candy Posts: 6,109 Member
    As everyone else said...no shred on lifting days and to be honest I had started doing ripped in 30 on non-lifting days a couple of weeks ago and it definitely affected my SL performance the next day so I stopped as SL is much more effective in terms of weight training.

The other thing I wanted to mention is that many of us have huge trouble with the OHP and the progression is much slower. Try getting fractional plates if you are failing, that way you don't have to go up 5# at a time!