Rope climbs - am I doing them right?

Options
Mummyadams
Mummyadams Posts: 1,125 Member
Hi all, this morning I did 3 rope climbs (holy cra*p) but by the 3rd one I was getting some serious burn on the inner right thigh (the leg where I wrap the rope around my ankle for leverage.

Hubby reckons I am doing them wrong because I should only be using my arms and feet and therefore shouldnt be getting rope burns on my inner thigh.

Am I doing them wrong?
Usually I wear longer tights but it's been so hot here that I am wearing shorts.

(note, hubby he doesn't do CF but likes to contribute because I love it so much)

Replies

• nutmeg0686
    nutmeg0686 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    You're not doing them wrong if you made it up and down the rope safely :)

But, rope burn is due to relying too much on your foot hold. If your grip strength is weaker, you're going to want to use a rope wrap style where it actually winds either inside or outside of your leg. Some people get a burn on their upper thigh, some get it on the inside/outside of their ankles/calves...all depends on the wrap style.

When your grip strength improves and you get more confident in your foot hold, you can use an "S" style foot hold that doesn't require you to wrap the rope around your leg anymore. You just clamp the rope between your two feet...no wrap necessary. For example, picture the rope draping across the top of your left foot (WITHOUT wrapping it around your leg). When you reach up high and curl your body in a ball, you take your right foot and clamp down against the rope resting on top of your left foot, then stand up. When you stand, the rope should be on the right side of your right leg (I think).

But like I said, I rely a lot more on my grip strength with this style in order to have the time to find the rope and secure the foot grip. It took me about a year to work up to this style in WODs. I never get rope burns on my thighs, calves or ankles anymore, but my shoes definitely get torn up (mostly on the descent). If you're doing a work out for time with lots of rope climbs, you'll start to fatigue and your heart rate will be high. This is when reverting to the more secure leg wrap will be beneficial. Hopefully you'll be wearing thick socks/pants and cross your fingers the burn won't be too bad. But consider it a success if you don't fall :)
  • Sasquatchrider
    Sasquatchrider Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    Excellent post. I would just add that everyone in our box is instructed to use just feet and hands....around the thigh sounds painful
  • Mummyadams
    Mummyadams Posts: 1,125 Member
    Options
    Great post thank you. No, I don't wrap it around my thigh but the rope clearly rubs against it. I do rely more on my feet as my grip isn't as strong as I would like. I will work on it though and try your S style foot hold when I get stronger.
    Thanks for taking the time to reply.
  • nutmeg0686
    nutmeg0686 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    You're welcome! Rope climbs are hard to explain in words, hopefully some of that makes sense. Also, I'd like to add that the majority of your burn probably happens on the way down. If you're grip is weaker, you're going to be afraid to loosen your foot hold and you're going to slide down fire-man style. If the rope is wrapped around your leg/ankle, that's going to hurt!

The descent is a great time to work on your grip strength. Basically, come down just the way you went up: Rather than sliding, inch your arms down as close to your feet as you can unti you're in a semi-curled position again. Then, release your foot hold completely (or loosen as much as you're comfortable with) and let your legs drop until your body is in a semi-straight position again. Get your foot hold again and repeat until you're on the floor.

Burns on their own are a great motivator to learn better technique. Only took a few intense burns and scars for me to promise myself to never let it happen again :)
  • christy_frank
    christy_frank Posts: 680 Member
    Options
    I get them in the same place. I have to wear long, thick WOD socks and a capri type pant to protect my inner thigh.