fitness class? video? lonely walks?

Options
Which works for you? Have tried them all... fitness classes (the right ones) are awesome, but always seem to meet at the wrong time or end just as I 'm getting into them. Videos - never found one that works for me so far. Walks are my best bet, but they ARE lonely -- and who "just happens" to have exactly the schedule I do, and the same fitness goals, time available, etc.? NO ONE!

Replies

• 2jayjaysmom
    2jayjaysmom Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    Which works for you? Have tried them all... fitness classes (the right ones) are awesome, but always seem to meet at the wrong time or end just as I 'm getting into them. Videos - never found one that works for me so far. Walks are my best bet, but they ARE lonely -- and who "just happens" to have exactly the schedule I do, and the same fitness goals, time available, etc.? NO ONE!

I agree with you on this one....For me I have tried the Richard Simmons sweatin to the oldies workouts, I like them because they have people of all sizes working out and they rotate them so the toothpick people are not always in the front. His DVD's have folks in them just like me working on this weight loss joruney. I have also started using the Leslie Sanson walking DVD I can do that at home so if I don't have anyone to walk with me its ok, plus i can do it when the kiddies go to bed (they have a group on here). I have to admit I don't have a "set" schedule I try and it works for about 2 weeks then life events change. We just recently joined the YMCA so hopefully that will work for us. The kiddies get to go do activities while I work out so its fun for all of us.
  • Ivyzmama
    Ivyzmama Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    Do have something you can play music on when you go for walks? That helps keep me motivated a lot. It is a bit lonely but it's less lonely when I have music. I recommend getting ear buds that hook over your ears so they don't fall out while you're walking. Also, if you can, take yourself for a walk somewhere pretty. Having pretty scenery helps. If you check Craigslist in your area you might be able to find a walking buddy, but I agree, it's nearly impossible to get 2 people available at the same time! I walked at lunch at work today without my walking buddy because she couldn't get away from her desk; we haven't had a chance to walk together more than once in the last 2 months because of our work schedules. So I know how it is.
  • SordidEuphemism
    Options
    I find a 24-hour gym has helped me immensely.
  • HeartlessHarlot
    HeartlessHarlot Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Don't know if anyone is still looking here, but I have found the Biggest Loser DVD's. I may not be a fan of the shows, but when I'm doing a workout DVD and someone bigger than me is doing burpees, it really takes away my excuse of "I can't do it".
  • nicew0
    nicew0 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I actually enjoy the solitude that walking brings. When I do it consistently, that is!
  • KWake1
    KWake1 Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    A post bedtime run is my thing. Time to clear my head without the child or husband whining at me, and it gives me something to focus on like improving my distance or time or posture. Just 30 minutes around the neighbourhood does a world of good! Fitting in something resembling strength training however is proving impossible.
  • lose3stone
    lose3stone Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    I totally understand what your saying.... The DVD I like is Jillian Michaels 30 day shred but I'm never motivated at home to do it! I do like to walk in the evening with some music just to unwind from the day ( honestly to escape 4 little people constantly saying "mummy mummy mummy") but it is much nicer going with friends. May sound a little crazy but I have seen adverts in our local shops looking for walking/running partners, could be an option ? I can offer MFP support if you wanna add me? Good luck
  • hheiland05
    hheiland05 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I try to walk w/ a friend but you are right the schedules don't always work out and you are never at the same fitness level as someone else. I put my favorite music on my ipod and off I go. Good luck with your journey!
  • cnelson1974
    cnelson1974 Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    I tried video but I felt stupid. I've done the gym, but after 6 months I had only lost 10 lbs. for all the effort (1hour x4 days a week). I usually walk my dog now, but I usually forget to log it. I know it should count, but I don't like to count it if I can tell that I'm not really getting an elevated heartrate out of it. So I generally don't exercise.

I've been thinking about taking a karate class (or similar), but I haven't made my mind up yet. Some of it would be price, but the worst part is finding the best evenings to go. Mondays and Tuesdays are out because of obligations afterwork. So I don' t know what to do.

Boo!
  • Linli_Anne
    Linli_Anne Posts: 1,360 Member
    Options
    I do at home workouts (videos, youtube, print offs). Haven't been on my treadmill lately.

I'm loving all of Jilian Micahel's videos - I completed 30 Day Shred in December, and Ripped In 30 just this past week. Now I'm doing a combination of 6 week 6 pack, and Yoga Meltdown.

In February, I'm going to be starting the New Rules Of Lifting For Women, following the workouts in the book as best as I can with the weights I have at home (more than enough to get started).

I make the time, 6 days a week to do something. Mondays are my nights off when I have choir practice.
  • Kempossible
    Kempossible Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    Because of my busy schedule, I have to do a little bit of everything depending on what my day is like. Im currently doing INSANITY a day or two a week, mixed with jogs/walks and sometimes Yoga via the internet. I agree with the person above who encouraged you to listen to music while walking. It really does help. I load up my Ipod with all kinds of great songs that I love that will get my blood pumping. And sometimes when all else fails, I find an activity to do with my son. I strap on that HRM and have a blast! Surprisingly, I always burn at least 200 calories playing with that guy. Best wishes to you !
  • blueeylb
    blueeylb Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    i try to do more videos as much as i can. it's cost effective for me and i can 'try' to do it when my younger one is napping. id love to go to the gym but time and money is not on my side. :)
  • lumox1212
    lumox1212 Posts: 152
    Options
    p90x when hes at school or late night