nutritional shake advice please

Options
truddy6647
truddy6647 Posts: 519 Member
so I made a nutritional shake (new directions vanilla) today to taste it and see if I like it as I am going to have to be on it for a month prior to wls and a about a month after. Well let me say yuck, not only does it taste bad, it smells too. Anyone have any suggestions on a different brand? I don't think I will be able to drink these ones. I have another flavor besides vanilla and will try that but right now not looking good

Replies

• MyOwnSunshine
    MyOwnSunshine Posts: 1,312 Member
    Options
    Premier Protein Shakes (30 gm of protein, 160 cals) are pre-mixed shakes that you can buy at Sam's or Costco. They're the best I've found and I still drink at least one a day (with my coffee) every day.
  • horses7777
    Options
    Pure Protein brand vanilla or chocolate. The 23 grams of protein cans/bottle are around 110-120 calories. Drink them cold. You can buy them at Target, Wal-Mart, Trader Joe's, or get them online. The powders are also OK, but more calories. You will likely be on a very restricted calorie diet post surgery and I found the cans to be the most bang for the buck, that I could stand drinking each day.

Good Luck to you!:smile:
  • JillyInAZ
    JillyInAZ Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Premier Protien, pre-mixed, I get mine at Costco. I usually do chocolate, but occasionally do vanilla and add SF Toroni syrups for different flavors (30g/shake) I do half for breakfast, and if I need more protien to hit my goal, then drink the other half at night

Jill
  • truddy6647
    truddy6647 Posts: 519 Member
    Options
    so tried premier protein nutritional shake. To me it tasted almost like chocolate milk. compared to muscle milk light it taste like milk chocolate where as muscle milk light is more like dark chocolate. While muscle milk light doesnot have everything that the ones the doctors gave me have in it, premier protein does, not only that it also has 30g of protein. Needless to say I think I have found what I am going to use, now to see if they sell it at sams club (I have seen others state that they do for around $25 for 18 so not a bad price either compared to the doctors one) Thanks everyone for the advice, still looking for a powder though for adding into things like bake goods, pancakes, homemade bread etc. I would like one that doesn't change the taste of things you are making and is low in calories, oh I don't have a costcos by me but do have sams
  • pawoodhull
    pawoodhull Posts: 1,759 Member
    Options
    Got mine from my surgeon's office. It's Symtrax and I love the flavor. I also use the unflavored one to add to soup, sauce or anything where I need the protein boost.
  • Fightin2GetFit
    Fightin2GetFit Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I personally use Isopure Low Carb in the dutch chocolate flavor. It has 50g of protein per serving but the flavor is pretty bad. I've previously tried EAS AdvantEDGE in the milk chocolate and dark chocolate flavors. I liked them both but they ended up making me really sick because I have a soy intolerance (I didn't know it at that time). If soy doesn't bother you, give them a try.
    I've heard really good things about Unjury (sold online only I believe), but I have yet to try that brand.
  • Snowflake2218
    Snowflake2218 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Truddy6647, don't rely too much on what you like now. And don't go out and stock up on a lot of stuff pre-surgery! Most VSG'ers will tell you that your tastes change after the surgery! Mine sure did!

Try unflavored protein powder and all it to whatever you like.
  • escapepod
    escapepod Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    And if the smell bothers you, trying drinking from a cup with a lid. Sounds silly, but it does help! I agree, don't stock up. And tastes vary HUGELY when it comes to protein powder. Your best bet is to get samples post-op and try a bunch of things. Sites like VitaLady and BJs Bariatrics sell singles, and many of the companies like Chike and Unjury do too. And I hear that GNC will take anything back, even open jugs of protein powder.
  • spfldpam
    spfldpam Posts: 738 Member
    Options
    Nectar brand is good. Unjury is good, Jay Robb is good. Check out your local Vitamin Shoppe or online and buy some packets to have pre op and post op. Nectar has alot of flavors. I like Chocolate Truffle and Fuzzy Navel the best but have pacekts I bought pre op I haven't tried too. Unjury you have to buy from them but Nectar and Jay Robb you can buy anywhere online or at nut. stores.
    Good luck!
    Also mix them in a bottle with a lid on it. Shaker bottle with wire ball in it. This helps with the smell keep the lid on and drink through the drinking hole.