Protein

Options
bka3601
bka3601 Posts: 8 Member
I am 5 weeks post op today and I wanted to express my biggest challenge.....

GETTING IN ENOUGH PROTEIN!

I have a shake for breakfast, a yogurt or two during the day, and then try to eat some chicken or seafood at night but it is HARD.

I really don't have a big enough appetite or a desire to eat to get it all in during the day. I know that not feeling hungry is what I signed up for but I also want to make sure that I am getting all the nutrition in that I need.

I am going for my 6 week post op visit with my surgeon, actually I see his PA which is fine so I scheduled a half hour visit with the Nutritionist and I am going to print out my daily diary from MFP to show her. I am sure she will tell me I NEED to step it up in the protein area. I am doing between 450 - 650 calories per day and when I do the high end it is really pushing it!

Just wanted to see what everybody else has been experiencing at this point.

Replies

• CollieDebbie
    CollieDebbie Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    You will be able to get more protein as time goes on. In 5 weeks sounds like you are doing fine with what you described. Keep up the good work! Get some biotin in (5000 mcg capsule) so you won't loose any hair. I am 9 months post VSG and can usually get more protein in. Have not lost hair.
  • mandyabraio
    mandyabraio Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    I had the same problem. But I decided to do mine this way and I get my protein in now in fact more than what they told me. When I wake up (well I do get up between 4 and 5) I have a 4 oz protein shake. I buy mine at Sam's it's called muscletech and it's chocolate and has 30 grams of protein in a full scoop (I use a 1/2 scoop when I do a 4 oz) then I have my breakfast around 8 then around 10 I do another 4 oz protein shake then have lunch between 12 and 1, then around 3 have another 4 oz protein shake then dinner around 6 then before bed do another 4 oz protein shake. I have found splitting it up like this my stomach can handle the 4 oz size so much better than trying to do a full 8 oz one!!! so I get in my protein shakes plus whatever I get from my foods. But I do only eat between 1/4 to 1/2 cup of food at each meal. Doing it this way really helps and it works for me.
  • springbound
    springbound Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    You're doing way better than I was at 6 weeks! Can you stir some protein powder into that yogurt to sneak in a few extra grams? I used to love the Syntrax cookies and cream mixed into nonfat plain greek yogut.

I tried to hit my protein minimums just through food, but it didn't really work because I just can't eat that much. I can tolerate the shakes a lot better than I could when I was just a few weeks post-op, so I'm doing one shake in the morning and it gets me off to a really good start for the day. After that, it's a lot easier.
  • libbyd63
    libbyd63 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I add unflavored protein to my water (and crystal light). 1 scoop is 10 grams of protein, I usually have about 3 scoops a day! Also, eating tuna at lunch helps.
    Good luck!
  • lee91356
    lee91356 Posts: 330 Member
    Options
    Your doing fine. The doctor will tell you to eat more and up the protein but the reality is that its hard. I'm just about 5 months out and only in the last month or 2 have I been able to get in all my protein and eat regularly at the 650-800 calorie mark. At one point my doctor told me to have three protein shakes and to start adding fruits and yogurt to my shakes to make them more nutritionally dense, however, when I did that I wasn't able to finish the shakes as they were too thick. Just take it slow and do what you can.
  • operator646
    operator646 Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    The protein is the hardest part at the beginning. Make sure you find a brand of shake that you can tolorate. I found that to be key. And I do agree with others that as time goes on it will be easier and not such an issue.
  • if your into eatting food with no restrictions and if your sleeve can tolerate it - Beef Jerky!!!
    14 grams of protein per 1 ounce...
    you can get low sodium if water retention is a issue.
    I do chew on it like a piece of gum til it is pulverized..

it is all about finding out what works for you....
  • operator646
    operator646 Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    I never would have thought of beef jerky. I am going to check it out.
  • Snowflake2218
    Snowflake2218 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Do NOT try beef jerky or any tough cuts of meat for about six months!!!
  • Snowflake2218
    Snowflake2218 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    You want to get it up to 80 grams of protein a day.
  • Fightin2GetFit
    Fightin2GetFit Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Isopure protein shakes and drinks have between 40-50 grams of protein per serving. It's sold at GNC, The Vitamin Shoppe, and online. I drink the Isopure Low Carb (shake) in the dutch chocolate flavor.