Cystic Acne

Options
Hey Ladies! Anyone dealing with those painful cystic nodules? Everything I read online says these are often a reflection of wonky hormones, so I'm assuming this is just one more awesome "perk" of the PCOS.

I don't get them often, but one cropped up last week, right beside my nose. No amount of makeup will cover it completely, and even if I can reduce the redness to a fleshy color, it's big enough to *literally* cast a shadow. I know you shouldn't pop it, but that didn't stop me from unsucessfully trying. I have an appointment in the morning with my dermatologist to see what she can do/recommend.

Anyone have any magic advice for how to deal with these things? At 32, I feel "too old for this!"

Replies

• pland54
    pland54 Posts: 132
    Options
    You are in my neck of the woods now, sister! Acne is my single biggest physical problem. And as I get older, it has changed and become more cystic and painful.

I have found that ditching all the chemicals used for acne in teenagers (benzoyl peroxide, salicylic acid) and switching to lavender oil and aloe vera after cleansing has helped me keep the acne from getting huge and painful. So that's a big plus, but it still hasn't gone away.

I saw an endocrinologist for the first time last week and he was very confident he could help fix it, and I'm waiting on lab tests to come back so I can get his recommendations. I will let you know what happens!

I'm sorry, I know how bad it sucks! I had to lol at the 'shadow' remark... the last time that happened to me I looked like a unicorn...

Feel free to add me. We will find something that works!
  • MsMelissaG
    MsMelissaG Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Please post your findings on here. :smile: I get those cysts everywhere and I'm so embarassed of them. My doctor told me to use a cotton swab with alcohol everywhere I get them and hot baths. None of that has worked. She is now switching my birth control to one that helps with acne more.
  • pland54
    Options
    Please post your findings on here. :smile: I get those cysts everywhere and I'm so embarassed of them. My doctor told me to use a cotton swab with alcohol everywhere I get them and hot baths. None of that has worked. She is now switching my birth control to one that helps with acne more.

I'll let you know what I find out. I have been on 2 different kinds of birth control pills that are specifically supposed to help with acne, and unfortunately they didn't help me at all (but that doesn't mean they won't work for you!). I told the endocrinologist this last week and he said that it probably means I have multiple things contributing to my acne problem. I have high androgen levels (which is of course very common with PCOS), but if I have an additional problem, the birth control might not be effective on the acne.

He took some blood to test for iron deficiency anemia, among other things, and he told me that iron deficiency can manifest in the same ways as androgen overload. This apparently is also common with PCOS. We'll see!
  • shannasaurus_rex
    shannasaurus_rex Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Well, doc prescribed an oral antibiotic to take twice a day for two weeks and a topical antibiotic gel to apply until it goes away (and to use later as other spots come up). It wasn't quite what I was expecting, but I'll give it a whirl.

I did discuss my overall skincare regimen with her though, and to my surprise, she approved. I just use a mild Cetaphil cleanser and Oil of Olay oil-free moisturizer with SPF 15. That's it. I asked about over the counter acne stuff (benzoyl peroxide, salicylic acid), and she said my skin was too try to really get any benefit from those kinds of products. She told me to keep doing what I'm doing and use this topical antibiotic when needed. Overall, I don't have a real chronic acne problem, but the ones that do come up are huge and red and bad news.

Anyway, I'll keep you posted on the success of the antibiotics, and meanwhile I'll keep drinking lots of water and trying not to stress myself out over work (since this one seemed to be a reaction to stress). Fingers crossed!
  • shannasaurus_rex
    shannasaurus_rex Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    ...I have found that ditching all the chemicals used for acne in teenagers (benzoyl peroxide, salicylic acid) and switching to lavender oil and aloe vera after cleansing has helped me keep the acne from getting huge and painful. So that's a big plus, but it still hasn't gone away...

I've never heard of using lavendar oil. How does that work? Do you just rub it in like a moisturizer, or do you mix it with the aloe vera? I much prefer natural remedies over chemical ones, whenever possible.
  • pland54
    Options
    Lavender oil is too strong to be used just on its own. It must be diluted with a carrier oil (like almond oil) in order to be used directly on skin. Many places do sell it like that, already mixed and intended for use on skin- look for that stuff. If you can't find it, there are instructions online for how to mix it, but I haven't done that personally.

So, every morning and night after cleansing, I take my bottle of (already mixed) lavender oil and cup my hand over the top and turn it upside down. That way, I have just a bit in my palm. Then I squirt about a pea-sized amount of aloe onto it and mix the two together. I use that in place of moisturizer.

The reason it works is because lavender oil is a natural antiseptic. Tea tree oil is as well, but that one is more harsh and is more likely to irritate skin. Aloe vera aids in skin healing and regeneration. So, it should be noted that these two things are not doing anything to solve the underlying problem or keep acne from happening- what they do is help disinfect acne when it appears, and help the skin heal more quickly. For me, the acne problem is arising from inside my body, and until I find a good way to treat that I will still struggle with this. But honestly, using aloe and lavender oil has made my skin look younger and brighter, and all around healthier. It is also a cheaper and more soothing regimen than any I've followed before.

Let me know if you do try it, and how it works for you. I think you're doing the right thing already by using a mild cleanser and avoiding chemicals. I wish you the best :flowerforyou:
  • miranda_mom
    miranda_mom Posts: 873 Member
    Options
    Right now I have my period and I have three big spots on my chin. Bright red, painful, not pop-able, the whole nine yards. last night I picked up Neutrogena Rapid Clear Acne Eliminating Spot Gel. I put it on last night (you are supposed to do it 1-3 times per day) and I have to say, all three spots are much, much smaller and no longer painful at all. I'll keep you ladies posted, but I'm pretty pleased so far.
  • MaxlacusNight
    MaxlacusNight Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Does anyone's cysts literally turn like a deep black or purple color? I have found that mine will do that and then just sit on my face for like a month or two. When the skin is finally thin enough over top of it, it just YUCK, so much! Then it will be just nasty for like a whole month until it finally heals into a little black spot or just a indented scar. I use a prescription grade Benzol product that seems pretty good. :) I mean it doesn't make it go away but it'll bring it to a point a lot fast so that it can heal.