Ingredients Question

Options
KarCrib
KarCrib Posts: 39 Member
I hope this is not too silly. I obviously look at all ingredients when buying something. I came across something the other day that had no animal products but with the disclaimer:

May include milk products.

What does that mean - MAY? Would you still buy it?

Replies

• katejkelley
    katejkelley Posts: 841 Member
    Options
    No, I wouldn't. I have a dairy intolerance, so I need to stay away from all of that. If it says "may contain", it probably does.
  • freckles_cmj
    freckles_cmj Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    I avoid that "may" thing...which really is annoying..how do they not KNOW what is in their stuff? Lately I am trying to really eat only whole foods, so its a lot easier to avoid accidental dairy and eggs. Since giving them up I know when I eat something with dairy in it because my stomach will start to hurt something awful!
  • LucybellMocha
    Options
    I second Freckles...So many pre-packaged products have the "may contain dairy" or "processed in a plant that uses dairy" labels, that I am pretty much moving to whole foods. I, too, notice that when I do ingest dairy, my stomach starts cramping. There's got to be something really wrong with that stuff!
  • KarCrib
    KarCrib Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Thanks. Kind of what I thought. I tend to eat whole foods as well but DH likes granola bars, or cereal in a box. Thanks for your feedback.
  • Evachiquita
    Evachiquita Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    Basically what others said. I think that manufacturers have to put that on their package if the product was made in a facility that also uses milk, dairy, nuts, gluten, soy, etc. even if the ingredients are vegan.
  • britstrrr
    britstrrr Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    If it's between two similar products and one is "may", I buy the one that isn't. If there is only one product (like last week when I was buying pitas) and it says "may", I buy it. Same with "made in a factory that also makes...". I am doing this as an ethical choice, not because of an allergy or intolerance.
  • DinahCakes
    DinahCakes Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    I think it means their recipe changes from time to time depending on who knows what? But this way they're covered.
  • azalea617
    azalea617 Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    Like others said, it's definitely because the food is produced in the same factory as something else with dairy. It's not a "dairy-free" workplace, so they have to make that claim just in case some magically got in (from maybe not cleaning equipment enough) because if someone has a reaction then they can't be sued. Covering all their bases, basically.
  • RawTriGal
    RawTriGal Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    I have followed up with a couple companies regarding that disclaimer and both told me that it was because the food was processed in a facility that also processed dairy items, therefore there may be residual.
  • mmddwechanged
    mmddwechanged Posts: 1,688 Member
    Options
    I would buy it because I don't have an intolerance to dairy. "May contain". Means that if there's a trace it was unintentional. In other words the food was not produced in a guaranteed dairy free environment.