Have you read "Skinny *****"?

Options
KetsyBaby
KetsyBaby Posts: 40 Member
I just finished reading the book "Skinny *****: A No-Nonsense, Tough-Love Guide for Savvy Girls Who Want to Stop Eating Crap and Start Looking Fabulous! by Rory Freedman, Kim Barnouin. I really liked the no nonsense approach and the humor, but also the nutritional information. Has anyone else read it and what are your thoughts?

Replies

• Kejlina
    Kejlina Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I read it. Hated the abusive language! But it does seem like you'd lose weight if you stick to it. My problem is that it seemed too strict. No coffee, no caffeinated tea, no alcohol, no sugar, no processed foods....I'd lose weight but I'd probably also start lighting stuff on fire, just sayin'.
  • abrahamsitososa
    abrahamsitososa Posts: 716 Member
    Options
    I read it. Hated the abusive language! But it does seem like you'd lose weight if you stick to it. My problem is that it seemed too strict. No coffee, no caffeinated tea, no alcohol, no sugar, no processed foods....I'd lose weight but I'd probably also start lighting stuff on fire, just sayin'.

Only thing I would disagree with is the no caffeinated tea. Green tea has caffeine and it helps burn a lot of fat.
  • RawTriGal
    RawTriGal Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    read it... didn't do it for me, but I've been vegan for quite a while and I take a different approach to things. A book I would recommend is Crazy Sexy Diet ....
  • juliedor
    juliedor Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    I don't have caffeine and drink decaffinated green tea.Still has the good properties.
  • abrahamsitososa
    abrahamsitososa Posts: 716 Member
    Options
    Decaffeinated green tea does not have all the benefits. Some of the polyphenols are removed during the process. But overall it's still very healthy to drink decaffeinated green tea, for people with high blood pressure or religious purposes that would be the best option.
  • MeanieD
    MeanieD Posts: 79
    Options
    I read it and keep it around when I need a good kick in the pants. I don't mind the no-caffeine or alcohol thing. I do like me some green tea though.
  • KetsyBaby
    Options
    read it... didn't do it for me, but I've been vegan for quite a while and I take a different approach to things. A book I would recommend is Crazy Sexy Diet ....

I will definitely look this one up, so glad I have my Kindle, it makes book impulse buying guilt free (if but briefly LOL)
  • KetsyBaby
    Options
    I read it and keep it around when I need a good kick in the pants. I don't mind the no-caffeine or alcohol thing. I do like me some green tea though.

I would agree, green tea is different in my mind then a double espresso, and I don't even think a cup of organic tea that naturally contains a bit of caffeine should be a problem. I think their point was mainly, if you need caffeine to wake up and make it through the day, then you should cut down and then cut it out. If you are having a cup mid morning with a snack or after/before a workout to hydrate, go for it.
  • freckles_cmj
    freckles_cmj Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    I read it and for the most part it is similar to what I am doing anyway. I thought they were very funny. I do still have my occasional coffee or tea, but reading that was one of the big reasons I dumped the diet soda!
  • liittlesparrow
    liittlesparrow Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    I read the book and loved it! The girls are quite strict though, it's hard to eat/live EXACTLY the way they say, but they get a pretty solid point across.
  • skinnybetch78
    skinnybetch78 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I am in the middle of the book and I have drastically changed my eating habits over the past couple of weeks. I personally found it hysterical (it takes a lot to offend me--see my name?!) and at times hard to read, but those sections were the most important, I think. It has really affected my outlook on my body, my values and my lifestyle.
    Next on the list: _The Kind Diet_ with Alicia Silverstone.
    Feel free to add me as a friend, if you'd like!
    Edit: I am going to have a hard time with the no alcohol. I am currently limiting intake to weekends, which is a big improvement from where I was a couple of months ago. I also will not give up caffeine, only because my favorite teas are caffeinated. And I'm not going to feel bad about that!
  • deb3129
    deb3129 Posts: 1,294 Member
    Options
    I read it and liked it, it is pretty much what I am eating anyway. I did buy Skinny ***** in The Kitch, though and did not like it at all. It is a recipe book, but the biggest majority of the recipes call for processed faux meats, which I try not to eat on a regular basis. If I do use them, I can usually figure out how to use them without a recipe.
  • freckles_cmj
    freckles_cmj Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    I read it and liked it, it is pretty much what I am eating anyway. I did buy Skinny ***** in The Kitch, though and did not like it at all. It is a recipe book, but the biggest majority of the recipes call for processed faux meats, which I try not to eat on a regular basis. If I do use them, I can usually figure out how to use them without a recipe.

Good to know because i had thought of buying that cookbook!
    I used those faux meats when first transitioning to vegetarian but now several years later I hardly ever tough that stuff! I only pick up veggie burgers a few times in the summer to take with me to cookouts where i need to bring my own food...
  • ThriftyChica12
    ThriftyChica12 Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    read it and liked it. aspects that i did not like, but i like ANY book that seeks to bring veganism to the larger population. and some of the recipes in Skinny *&^%$ in the KItch are slamming...i always make pancakes using their recipe :)
  • Chasbest7
    Chasbest7 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I read it but didn't really like their approach. I know what they say is true and they are trying to shock people into reality, but I just didn't click with it. I read the kind diet and that book did it.,, I really liked with her approach! The kind isn't is a great book!
  • BritishVegGirl
    BritishVegGirl Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I havent read it, though I am meaning to!
  • LaNetsah
    LaNetsah Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Yes, have read it. Definitely has that shock factor with the facts in there and the way they present the information.
    I liked it, I can't say it changed anything for me since I already consume very, very little processed foods or chemicals, I don't drink alcohol and I have coffee or tea about once in a couple of months. It's a great little book!
  • shelsab
    shelsab Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    ...i always make pancakes using their recipe :)

What is the pancake recipe if u have it off hand!?! I would love to try another pancake mix!
  • nmzeta
    nmzeta Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    I read it - I likedit. I may not agree with it 100% but it's light-hearted and different than most other nutrition books out there. I follow Eat to Live so it's a lot less strict.