The scale

Options
Par8hed4life
Par8hed4life Posts: 104 Member
Ok. So I am in my 2nd week of Crossfit and I LOVE it. I originally joined to lose weight and get fit/strong! While that is still my goal, I now what to compete in my Boxs' CF Open next January.
With all of that in mind, I am not going to stop. I really LOVE it. I look forward to my alarm going off at 5:15am.
However, I am wanting to lose weight too. I need to lose about 50lbs, but I think that number will change as I expect to weigh more, but look vastly different. Since starting CF, I have hidden my scale as I know I am not going to drop weight fast due to muscle gain. I am eating Paleo 80/20 and not feeling like I'm on a diet.

So what is my question? At what point should I bring my scale back?

Replies

• vinstevel
    Options
    For my first 2 weeks, I put the scale away because I gained 12lbs. I couldn't stop myself and pulled it out this morning and lost the much again. I think my body just went into shock, and is regaining balance now. I think we need to basically cut the cord with the scale. If we exercise most days of the week and at least be cognizant of what we are eating, it is going to drop off. (I am doing CF 4 days and then one day lifting at home/running to hit the muscles that didn't get enough at the gym)
  • divemunkey
    divemunkey Posts: 288 Member
    Options
    Once a month, when you check your measurements!
  • jtbaddison
    jtbaddison Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    Started CF yesterday. I loved it. I'm also trying to lose alot of weight also. 75lbs

As long as you are on a calorie deficit, it is medically impossible to gain muscle weight. Your muscles will get much stronger and more efficient before they weigh more.

The weight gain is actually water being retained in your muscles while they are sole. (Can't remember medical term for this). As the soreness leaves you will drop all of that extra weight! As long as you stay on a calorie defiicit and exercise routine, you will drop weight from your fat reserves and your muscles will get stronger.
  • mrskperry
    mrskperry Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I'll tell you what I noticed. I've been doing crossfit since December. I gained a half a pound/week for the first 3 weeks. After that, I've been losing around 2 lbs per week (sometimes a little more). I typically weigh myself once a week. I did like the comment though, "once a month when you take measurements." I'm going to think about giving that a try, but for now, it's been once a week, and it took almost a month to stop gaining and start losing weight.
  • christy_frank
    christy_frank Posts: 680 Member
    Options
    I've gained about 10 pounds dof muscle when I started CrossFit. Now I want to lose 10 pounds of fat.
    I weigh every day, always have, probably always will. I would love the day when I put away the scale. I do not let it bother me too much. The mirror to me is a useful tool as well. I dont guage myself by that number on the sclae anymore though.
    CF recommends that you throw away the scale..... tempted.
  • Sasquatchrider
    Sasquatchrider Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    As long as you are on a calorie deficit, it is medically impossible to gain muscle weight. Your muscles will get much stronger and more efficient before they weigh more.

I dont' think that is true. I think what you might be referring to is it's impossible for your total amount of weight to increase in caloric deficit (ie muscle + everything else). You CAN however have more pounds of muscle then you did before and weigh less because the muscle weight is a greater fraction of your total weight...that's is why tools like BMI are used no?
  • jtbaddison
    jtbaddison Posts: 134 Member
    Options

I dont' think that is true. I think what you might be referring to is it's impossible for your total amount of weight to increase in caloric deficit (ie muscle + everything else). You CAN however have more pounds of muscle then you did before and weigh less because the muscle weight is a greater fraction of your total weight...that's is why tools like BMI are used no?

You should look it up.

It is definitely possible for you weight to increase on a calorie deficit, its water weight. Water weight for most people will amount to at least 10 lbs. This is how fighters cut 10 lbs of weight in one day. Again, do your muscles change shape, get stronger, appear bigger? Yes, yes, yes. Especially as the fat melts away, your muscles become more defined.

Ask any bodybuilder and they will tell you that they only way to gain muscle weight is a strength routine, eat a lot of protein, and take in more calories than you burn. Another way to think of it, is food is fuel, your body burns it. If you burn a bunch of logs to ashes they won't weigh more than the logs. Water is processed differently. Your water weight changes based on a number of variables.

Hope this helps.
  • madmags
    madmags Posts: 1,340 Member
    Options
    I have read many studies on gaining muscle mass (weight) while being on a calorie deficient diet and it is possible to put on true muscle mass and lose body fat. Your body essentially burns your fat for fuel, so you are ending up with the calories you need. This is not optimal and most body builders will tell you these are two different phases, but it is not impossible, just very hard to do. It would take a very regimented diet, plenty of protein and eating at the right times. Sorry if this confuses the matter fully, but it isn't impossible, but it is also not recommended. You would be best to put on the muscle and cut the fat in two different phases.