my supply is dropping but im not losing weight

Options
njayet
njayet Posts: 23 Member
Hi there, i have started working out doing the 30 day shred and going to the gym, i eat around 1800cals per day sometimes more sometimes abit less, i have been doing this for about 1-2 weeks now and i feel my milk supply has dropped.
my breasts seem to be a lot less full, i don't feel the milk let down as much and my baby seems to be getting angry on the breast sometimes.
He still has a lot of wet nappies though, i am not losing wight either, but i may have gained muscle from strength training? in the days that i eat less i weigh less and the days i eat more my weight goes up so im scared to increase my food intake what should i do? thanks

Replies

• Jillsie11
    Jillsie11 Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    Out of curiosity, how old is your baby?

As far as your boobs feeling "less full", that's COMPLETELY normal. After a while, your body knows how much milk to produce for each day and it starts to regulate itself. So, you'll still be full-er before a feeding, but I noticed my boobs don't feel all that full all that often, but I still pump out at least 5 oz when I miss a feeding.

There's many reasons why the baby could be fussy while eating- my little one goes through phases like that. As long as it isn't EVERY feeding, I wouldn't worry about it. Depending on his/her age, it could be teething.

Also- Have you tried any lactation cookies?? I've heard those help with milk supply.
  • shelly_38
    shelly_38 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I would go more by the wet diapers than by fussing at feedings, unless it is at every feeding. Have you tried pumping a feeding your baby a bottle just to see how much you are making? That makes me feel better if I feel like I might not be making enough milk. More often than not, I pump plenty, even though my boobs do feel softer now. My baby is 5 months.
  • njayet
    njayet Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    yea my baby is 5 months old, i guess its just weird as i always had such a big supply with my 1st born
  • Mewlingstork
    Mewlingstork Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    My guy is 4 1/2 months and I don't feel as 'full' as I used to anymore. I tried birth control from 7 weeks pp until about a month ago - while on the mini pill, I noticed a drop in supply because he had less wet diapers and didn't gain much weight. Now that I've stopped the pill, he's back to gaining half a pound a week and plenty of wet diapers.

I had to find the right balance of eating some of the right things, some of the time, eating enough, exercising enough, to lose any weight. I'm down 5 pounds below pre pregnancy, which is nice, but I still have more body fat than I would like.

You might try mixing it up a bit or pumping a feeding, like someone suggested, so you know roughly what you can produce. Remember, pumping doesn't empty the breast as well as a baby, so your baby would be getting a bit more than you pump. But, I also agree that feeling less full is totally normal.
  • CaliSteph
    CaliSteph Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    Hi - I've had an issue with a bit of drop in my supply with my 4 month old. My issue is more with what I've been pumping out rather than feeding her. Try adding more protein to your diet and adding a pumping session or two after a feeding - those helped get my supply back up again.

Good luck!
  • MinnesotaMommy1
    MinnesotaMommy1 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I find that my supply drops if I don't get in enough water. I pump exclusively (I have a 5 month old now) six times a day so I know what I make in a normal day, and when I am coming up short. I drink gatorade and eat oatmeal to get my supply up. I find the "real" oatmeal works the best. I have used fenugreek, brewer's yeast, and blessed thistle supplements to recover from mastisis and get my supply back up. That really helped me. I will say though, I do feel less full recently and am still making the same amount of milk. I think that my supply is finally regulating itself.
  • kristiekohn
    Options
    From my experiences and the research I have done, Ive found that it's important to eat enough good fats while you are breastfeeding, and to avoid trans fats at all costs. Eating good fats will increase the fat in your milk, filling baby up and reducing fussing. Trans fats found in processed foods will reduce fat content in breast milk, so it must be avoided. Good fats are found in full fat dairy products (including butter), oily fish, coconut oil (organic and unprocessed), egg yolks, and meat (without the fat trimmed) from organic, grass-fed animals. If you up your intake of good fats and protein, and reduce carbohydrates, you'll probably lose more weight too.