Feeling frustrated - Plateau??

Options
toodloo
toodloo Posts: 58 Member
Hi ladies.

I'm usually pretty positive about this whole weight loss thing, but for the past couple weeks I've been eating healthy + exercising almost every day (for reals!) and the scale hasn't gone down. In fact, it says I've gained a pound. HORROR!

I know there are a lot of things I can attribute this to, such as 1) I'm PMSing, 2) I intensified my fitness routine quite a bit. I also know it's not really classified as a plateau unless it's been a month, but this is really strange for my body!

What do you do to get out of a rut and invigorate your weight loss? I've already changed up my exercise (I started running!) and I'm trying to add variety to my food. Any other ideas? :/

Edit: BTW, I already eat a low-carb diet and drink a *kitten*-ton of water.

Replies

• kelly101386
    kelly101386 Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    It may sound scary but try upping your calories for a single day, I don't know what you eat right now but I usually have about 1300 to 1500. I have one day where I go up to 2,200. It will help kick start your metabolism and get your loss moving, I was stuck at the same weight for weeks until I did that so I do it weekly.
  • toodloo
    Options
    Thanks for the input! I think you're right. Yesterday I took the day off from working out based on the theory that my muscles were sore and swollen, making me weigh more. I also ate a few more calories than usual. Most days I eat 1250-1300, and yesterday I did almost 1400. Small change but it helped, because today I was down almost a pound. I think if the plateau persists I will take one day and eat extra calories.. still healthy foods though! It's weird how hard it is to eat too many calories when you're eating healthy... :)
  • pili90
    pili90 Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    PMS might be the cause....
  • toodloo
    Options
    yeah, I think so too! I'm guessing that I'm retaining water. Then again since I'm PMSing I just get mad right away and can't think rationally about it... hahaha.

I think I'm going to take a break from the scale for a week and just focus on my nutrition and workouts. I get wayyy too concerned with the number it says, even though I know my body looks and feels different!
  • PipBnz
    PipBnz Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    i tend to hold "weight" for a few weeks when i go up and down the same 1 or 2 kgs, then one day it seems like i pee more than ive drunk in the last few days and it drops a kg or so overnight.....its worth looking at topics on here "stalls and whooshes" .....not everyone does it but i've found that it most definitely applies to my body :)
  • toodloo
    Options
    wow.. that was really informative! And it definitely applies to my body too. I go awhile with the scale not moving at all (like, how is that possible to be the EXACT SAME NUMBER?) and then all of a sudden, a few pounds go overnight! Thanks for sharing, this made me feel a lot better :)
  • chelazar88
    chelazar88 Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    I've read that if your not giving ur muscles a day to rest, the retain water. Also make sure you are drinking lots of water! Your body will hold on to it if its not being replenished
  • toodloo
    Options
    Thanks everyone! It's happening again... I think my body just goes through stall phases of about a week despite drinking tons of water, doing a rest day, varying my caloric intake one day, blah blah... looks like I just have to live with it. I'm taking this weekend off from dieting (celebrating 30 pound loss + the superbowl!) so maybe when I start back up again my body will get the message. It's just so frustrating to see the same number over and over and over... like it can't be possible that I weigh EXACTLY the same!
  • blancaran
    blancaran Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I've been told that muscle weighs more than fat, so maybe your getting some muscle in. Also, consider changing your routine, do some other workouts. Even body builders have to change it up after a while because doing the same thing doesn't work after a period of time.
  • kelly101386
    kelly101386 Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    Don't forget to measure your inches. I didn't drop any weight for six weeks yet my trousers were loose. I lost two inches off my waist and the scale didn't budge. Also agreed on the rest day, no matter what kind of exercise you're doing a day off is good for the muscles.