Sugar Sugar Sugar

Options
Hello all. Im new to the no meat/dairy lifestyle and have a question.

I seem to be getting a lot of sugar from fruit (and some vegetables) throughout my day.

Every day this past week I have been over my "daily goal" for sugar.

Is this a big deal since its coming in the form of natural sugar from the actual foods?

Not sure if anyone has ideas or knowledge on this.

Thanks,

DeLiRi0uS

Replies

• skinnybetch78
    skinnybetch78 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I would also love to know more about this. I tend not to worry about the sugars, since I know they are the "good kind," and I am restricting the amount of processed sugars I eat, but I am also over every day.
  • idream2bgwen
    idream2bgwen Posts: 424 Member
    Options
    I don't even look at my sugar as I know that mine is from fruit, veggies, etc. But this is me. I know that it doesn't take much to be over.
  • thevegangladiator
    thevegangladiator Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    keep it plant based low fat and your good. i can hit but to 300+grams of sugar in day just on much fruit i eat that day i do a lot of banana date smoothies and 1 of them can have like 250g sugar . its the fat you have to watch out for .
  • Evachiquita
    Evachiquita Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    I am over on sugars almost every day too. I'm usually over my sugars by lunch, if not breakfast! It doesn't take much to put you over on sugars, you can't even eat the recommended 3-5 servings of fruit and be within the sugar allotment. Oh well. It's mostly from veggies and fruit, and beans and some grains so I don't worry about it.
  • RawTriGal
    RawTriGal Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    it's the processed sugars that are the enemy of the body causing all kinds of problems not the least of which is inflammation.... whole foods (fruits, veggies, nuts, seeds) are always a good choice. And while you don't want to go overboard, our bodies do require some good fats (think avocados, coconut oil) in order to function at its optimum.
  • FitGuyWillDoIt
    FitGuyWillDoIt Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    it's the processed sugars that are the enemy of the body causing all kinds of problems not the least of which is inflammation.... whole foods (fruits, veggies, nuts, seeds) are always a good choice. And while you don't want to go overboard, our bodies do require some good fats (think avocados, coconut oil) in order to function at its optimum.
    Exactly. Which is why I don't worry about sugar. Also, when you eat it in fruit, you get a sustained level than if you had it in bread, cookies, pasta or anything processed because of the fiber in fruit. Therefore you don't have the spike / crash syndrome happening. It's the crash that makes you hungry again causing you to eat.

The trick I use is to focus on how much nutrition I'm getting per calorie and even dollar. For example, a $1.00 apple has more nutrition than the $1.99 two pizza slice & soda deal. Plus, I'm not going fall victim to a sugar spike / crash. All you get in the pizza deal is empty calories and therefore wasted (or waisted) money.