NEW VEGAN STRUGGLING TO EAT ENOUGH

Options
Okay, I just graduated from being a vegetarian to being a vegan and I am struggling to get enough calories in everyday. I feel so full from my meals that I get this message all the time saying I'm not eating enough calories. So, I'm trying to eat more often throughout the day, but sometimes I'm still full from eating soup or something I ate that's high fiber ealier. So, if someone can tell me what are some of the things you do to ensure you get enough nutrition through the day. I wouldn't be asking if it wasn't affecting me adversely sometimes I feel light-headed even though I'm eating to satisfaction and feel quite satisfied and full even. Like, right now I feel very full and my lunch was a homemade soup and only around 100 calories or so. So, somebody help me please!

Replies

• idream2bgwen
    idream2bgwen Posts: 424 Member
    Options
    I like to eat almonds and avocados. They are high in calories but also good fats. I eat three meals a day and usually 2-3 snacks. I work nights so my schedule gets all messed up sometimes. But generally speaking I do pretty well. Congrats on being vegan! I feel much better now than I have in the past!
  • DazzlnDiva
    Options
    Thank you! I've been trying to eat something every couple of hours today. I was really light-headed the last few days and I don't want to feel that way every day. I will stock up on nuts so I can pop a few in my mouth every couple of hours to add to my calories.
  • mmddwechanged
    mmddwechanged Posts: 1,687 Member
    Options
    Maybe you need more foods that are high in protein? You can look at my food diary if you like, it might be helpful.
  • LaNetsah
    LaNetsah Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Try to eat foods that are concentrated in calories... like idream2bgwen said, almonds and avocados are a good example. Try to snack on nuts and dry fruit between meals, and make sure you have a good balance of protein and complex carbs (whole grains) in meal-times.
    Most days when I exercise, I try to eat a vegan protein bar because they're small, tasty and concentrated in calories and protein.
    Hope that helps a little bit. You can check out my diary to get an idea of what I eat.. I would also be happy to support you if you'd like to send me a request.
  • SleepySin
    SleepySin Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    You can add me too if you'd like and take a look at my day-to-day foo diary. It'd help to see what kinds of foods you're eating and when you're eating them too!
  • VeganJamiOnAMission
    Options
    Add some nuts and seeds. They are so good for you and full of healthy fats. And remember you can eat more than just vegetables as a vegan. Most pastas and breads are vegan. Just read the labels to be sure. They usually have a higher calorie content. Peanut butter is also vegan and high in calories and protein. Feel free to add me if you'd like to check out my diary.
  • RawTriGal
    RawTriGal Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    You can also add me to look at my diary if you'd like...

in addition to avocados and nuts... quinoa, nut butters and having a smoothie can easily get to 400 cals without really trying (one of my faves: banana, apple, pear, spinach, slice of ginger, slice of jalepeno pepper) Easier to drink 3-4 fruits and greens than eat whole. Can also easily add protein powder for additional protein if you feel you need, my fave is sunwarrior; it's raw vegan and great.
  • SugarBoomBoom
    Options
    You may need to include some wholegrain foods like wholemeal bread, rice, pasta, couscous, quinoa, or starchy vegetables like sweet potatoes, potatoes, squash if you are not carb watching. Alternatively have some beans - there are many different varieties to choose from. My favourites are chick peas (garbanzo beans if you are in the US), red lentils and butter beans - all of these are great in soups and contain both carbohydrate and protein.

Switching from vegetarian to vegan means that you can still eat the (healthy) things you used to eat as you are only excluding dairy and eggs - unless your diet was heavily dependant on those things before, it should not be such a difficult transition. :smile: