losing the weight after you've gained

Options
2»

Replies

• charlami
    Options
    For calories I would recommend going to see a NUT. They are much more educated then 5-10 years ago and they can help you get back on track with what you should be eating as far as what your body requires.
  • dchannell
    Options
    It is so good to know there are other people out there struggling with life after bypass re-gain. I started at 290 before my surgery in Dec. 2004 and my lowest was 180 several years ago. I have had several health issues and had micro fracture surgery on my knee last summer and gained back up to 233. I'm just starting my fourth week on MFP and have lost 10 lbs so far. What is more significant to me is that I am, at 55, finally learning to understand my relationship with food and how to change the way I treat it. I cannot believe I have lasted almost a month without sugar, artificial sweeteners, processed foods, beef, pork and carbonated beverages. And I feel like an entirely different person. Even my family is amazed at how different my disposition is. I honestly believe I was loaded with food allergies that worked against whatever good I was doing for myself. Unlike prior diets or post bypass, I am no longer easily irritated and I can look back on my daily food notes and exercise notes and it's like a broken record "another incredible day" or "having a great day today." I'm sure I will eventually hit walls like everyone else but this time, for the first time, I feel like I have the tools to help keep me motivated. I'm on the 1200 and though I work out almost everyday to the tune of about 500 calories, I rarely can eat more than 1400 total or I feel like all I am doing in between work outs is eat. I've been reading that other people eat more and lose more and others who say ignore the net calories and stick to the 1200. Any suggestions? I will be thrilled with a pound or two a week. My long term goal isn't so much to lose an amount of weight but to reduce my BMI to closer to 24 or below. I drink at least 10 glasses of water a day and three cups of green tea so I am becoming intimately close to my bathroom but I don't mind. I am wondering if I should add a bit more protein to my meals because I always end up at zero on protein and still have calories and carbs left each day. Anyone else have this disparity?
  • hixona
    hixona Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I am working out like a mad dog with personal trainers. They suggested I shoot for 800 calories. I have been with them for 3 months and only lost 9lbs. I keep telling them that my body is not the same as normal people. I have been reading and think I may need more calories.
  • dchannell
    Options
    I think the next time I to my doctor I am going to get a referral to the dietician and have them look at the percentages I am getting. They may need to be adjusted a bit because I am not ever hungry and always have carbs and fats but run out of protein almost everyday.
  • pappefam
    Options
    800 calories seems kinda low - esp since you aren't absorbing all of the food. I've fallen off the wagon - I lost 140 pounds and have gained around 55. I've been at 1200 calories for 3 weeks and have lost one whole pound (which could be water, who knows.) I haven't been taking my vitamins either so I decided to go see my hematologist this week to get blood work done and get back with taking my vitamins. Hopefully he'll have a suggestion for calorie intake OR can refer me to someone else to work with me.
  • sissuzi2
    Options
    Hi! I too am new here. I had RNY in 2007 then a complete hystorectomy 18 months later, my body went through the ringer literally! Was thrown into medical mental paws and have been yo yoing since then. Lowest weight was 175 and into size 12 jeans.

I had foot surgery in Sept 2012 and am still not walking without aids, I do have a recumbent exercise bike which I use daily for at least 30 minutes. I SO miss walking but am thankful I can at least get SOME exercise.

I joined weight watchers but it's so totally different and I have a hard time eating all the "points" on a daily basis. This week I had a discussion with the dietitian on staff at the weight loss clinic where I had my RNY. She tells me I am suppose to eat 1200 calories a day to lose weight, the break down is:150 g carbs, 60 g protein and 40 g fat. I am curious, how are ya'll eating? This seems to go against everything I was taught after I had the surgery. I still practice the no water 30 minutes and after eating. When I saw my surgeon last year he asked me if I was eating 60-80 grams of protein a day.

Also, how has your experience been with this site? The dietitian also told me about this site and said a lot of patients use and like it. I've been tracking for a few days now, they don't allow you to go over or give you a range on your carbs, fats and proteins I've noticed.

I guess I'd like to find out what seems to be working for others. Thanks!
  • sissuzi2
    Options
    According to the dietitian I talked to this past week, 800 calories is WAY to low. I was eating 900-1000 and she told me that my body would go into starvation mode (I think is what she said) and would not lose anything, specially if I was exercising. I remember her saying it would burn the muscle not the fat that's when she said I should be eating about 1200 calories a day with the makeup I listed earlier.

I TOO have used all my protein by the end of the day and still have fats and carbs to go! How do we manage? I was taught eat high protein low carb and fat. That's how I buy food!
  • Kim061865
    Options
    Hi everyone! I had RNY in 2008 and have also gained back some weight! I was not concerned at first, but the last 15 lbs jumped on while I wasn't' looking! I'm getting back on track and this web site is fantastic. The biggest shock I have had is how many calories were in a half a baja wendy's salad! YIKES! I'm glad I'm not the only one who has gained weight. However, I know we can get it back off! I have started exercising like never before. I'm hitting he gym 3-5 times a week and counting the cals!

Good luck to you all!

Kim:flowerforyou:
  • nitabean47
    nitabean47 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Hey all!

It's so nice to find that I'm not the only one who feels this way.
    Before surgery in 2003 I weighed close to 300 lbs. I got down to 125 by August 2004.
    Now? Well. Now I'm at 149 (I've lost 10 lbs since joining MFP in October). I would love to get back to 130.

I am always looking for new friends for support so feel free to add me and we can work this out together. :)

Amy
  • nitabean47
    Options
    I was thinking of getting a FitBit myself, waiting on the bracelet one that supposed to come out soon. My starting weight was 336, lowest 210, current 252. I had a ACL replaced and still have issues but I know exactly what you mean about those cookies. Why cant I have 1 and be done...once I have 1 I go into the craving mode and NOTHING relieves it until I have another...and another. I am thinking of going to a hypnotist......SOMETHING has to give. I know these are old patterns I started way early in life....I was a big child, biggest person in the family all my life and was simply told NO and never given a reason, so I became a food hider.....I would sneak it into my room, hide it and when I got upset or down I would retreat and enjoy the stash! I am 40 now, I dont hide food anymore but I sure as hell tell myself "have one you deserve it"...but really why do I? Its crazy, I hope I can figure it out before I get back to 336.
  • nitabean47
    Options
    You can go in and manually adjust the Protein/ Fat/ Carbs based on percentages. I have the same question too....I was taught after surgery protein first carbs last and MFP has me at 213 carbs a day and only 58 protein, to me this is insane! So I made an adjustment to 116 carbs a day, 34 fat making protein 194.....we will see if it works!