Bike racks

Options
Bought a new car and don't want it scratched up by a bike rack that straps on to the trunk and bumper. What kind is everyone using and do you love it?
Thanks!

Replies

• CDGolden
    CDGolden Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    Well depending on what type of car you got, you could look at a rear receiver hitch/rack, either 1 1/4 or 2 inch rack can usually hold 2-4 bikes and either tilt/pivot down or swing away for rear trunk/hatch access.

IF your new car has a factory roof rack you can add brackets/adapters to mount your bike racks to the factory cross bars or add your own new cross bars to your racks.

You can also use the roof racks that attach to the door jambs, you will need to be a little more careful putting them on and off they they hold tight to the car.

I have used all of the above from Yakima starting in 1989 and have never had any complaints, although there are pluses and minuses to all of them.
  • ferb03
    ferb03 Posts: 82
    Options
    I should have given more info. My new car is a Focus Hatchback.. For me a roof rack would be tempting the fates. I would like to be able to carry as many as four bikes but in reality it would probably be just two. And I am totally not mechanical so it would need to be easy to use. I am thinking maybe something that would involve the undercarriage?
    Again, thank you for sharing!
  • fp64
    fp64 Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    to use the undercarriage, I blv you have to install a trailer hitch - not saying it's not doable, just pointing it out
  • ferb03
    Options
    to use the undercarriage, I blv you have to install a trailer hitch - not saying it's not doable, just pointing it out
    So would adding a trailer hitch be hard and expensive?
    Again, remember I did admit I am totally, and I do mean totally, not mechanical.
  • CDGolden
    CDGolden Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    To add the receiver hitch, it sounds like you will need to have it done for you, you can probably get it done at your local tire shop, maybe a muffler place, Walmart.

If you go roof rack, someplace like REI can and should help install it properly as well.
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options
    All my cars have had a tailer hitch - adding them is not too expensive but make sure the wiring is done cleanly. Ask around. Do not do this yourself unless you want to fiddle with the wiring. A bike rack with a rear attachment should have lights, otherwise with bikes attached you just might be in for a problem with insurance.
  • cloggsy71
    cloggsy71 Posts: 2,208 Member
    Options
    Getting a tow bar fitted (in the UK) costs about £180 (about $286 at current exchange rates - depending in the make and model of your vehicle). Popular cars (i.e. Focus' etc.) are normally the cheapest.

Makes matters much easier with 'ball mounted rack' rather than roof mount.
  • cloggsy71
    cloggsy71 Posts: 2,208 Member
    Options
    ... However, if you are unfortunate enough to get hit up the backside whilst driving your car (with the bikes fitted), obviously your bikes will be no more. At least on your roof they stand a chance of surviving...
  • Spatialized
    Spatialized Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    ... However, if you are unfortunate enough to get hit up the backside whilst driving your car (with the bikes fitted), obviously your bikes will be no more. At least on your roof they stand a chance of surviving...

Until you drive into your garage before unloading...

Had a friend do that once. Resolved to go with the tail rack then!
  • Cyclink
    Cyclink Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    If it's a hatchback, can you put the bike inside the car?
  • ferb03
    Options

I could totally see myself doing something like this so roof rack was ruled out immediately :)
  • ferb03
    Options
    If it's a hatchback, can you put the bike inside the car?
    I am pretty certain I can get one bike in but I don't know that I would be able to get my riding buddy's bike in as well.
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options

Friend drove his bikes into a tunnel -- insta-scrap heap and the roof of the car got pealed back.
  • robindina
    robindina Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    I have a ford focus and I have a Saris trunk rack, I have been using it for a few years and it hasn't scratched the trunk yet.
  • ferb03
    Options
    Thank you for all the input!
  • Loulousq
    Loulousq Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    i saw this and am considering doing it to my car. i have a toyota matrix which is a hatchback also but i just lay my bike down flat with one of the back seats down. it fits nicely since i have a small bike.
    bikesinside.jpg
    http://matrixowners.com/index.php?/topic/88694-interior-bike-rack/
  • Cyclingbonnie
    Cyclingbonnie Posts: 413 Member
    Options
    Well depending on what type of car you got, you could look at a rear receiver hitch/rack, either 1 1/4 or 2 inch rack can usually hold 2-4 bikes and either tilt/pivot down or swing away for rear trunk/hatch access.

IF your new car has a factory roof rack you can add brackets/adapters to mount your bike racks to the factory cross bars or add your own new cross bars to your racks.

You can also use the roof racks that attach to the door jambs, you will need to be a little more careful putting them on and off they they hold tight to the car.

I have used all of the above from Yakima starting in 1989 and have never had any complaints, although there are pluses and minuses to all of them.

Yakima! They are the bomb, but the only way to assure no scratches is to have either factory roof top to connect to, or a receiver hitch. I have roof racks that strap on ... I choose to not remove them cause I know I will scratch things ... but I LOVE THEM.
  • lisapr123
    lisapr123 Posts: 863 Member
    Options
    I drive a Mazda 6 and installed a hitch (all by myself in about 30 minutes) and use a Yakima bike rack. It's awesome as I can open my trunk while the bike rack is on. Never had any problems. Nice thing is when I'm ready for a new car it all stays with me. Super easy, super safe, never had a problem in the 5+ yrs I've used it.

My husband has a Pontiac hatchback, though, and he cannot open the rear hatch when the rack is on. Just something to consider. We generally leave the bike rack on for about 10 months straight, so not being able to open the rear hatch would be a problem. We considered a roof rack but my 5'4" frame isn't tall enough for me to comfortable get things on and off the roof.
  • Cyclingbonnie
    Cyclingbonnie Posts: 413 Member
    Options
    I drive a Mazda 6 and installed a hitch (all by myself in about 30 minutes) and use a Yakima bike rack. It's awesome as I can open my trunk while the bike rack is on. Never had any problems. Nice thing is when I'm ready for a new car it all stays with me. Super easy, super safe, never had a problem in the 5+ yrs I've used it.

My husband has a Pontiac hatchback, though, and he cannot open the rear hatch when the rack is on. Just something to consider. We generally leave the bike rack on for about 10 months straight, so not being able to open the rear hatch would be a problem. We considered a roof rack but my 5'4" frame isn't tall enough for me to comfortable get things on and off the roof.

I use a step stool 5'4 1/2", I always wanted a roof rack, finally could afford one ... installed it ... went to put my bike on and couldn't get it up there ... grabbed the step stool from the kitchen ... problem solved. Love it!!!!
  • djdube525
    djdube525 Posts: 69 Member
    Options

Been there... done that... after a wicked hot ride, and I was totally exhausted. :sad:

Luckily there wasn't much damage to the bike.