Lets talk about the Paleo/CrossFit/Advocare connection.

Options
Eat2Live2Run
Eat2Live2Run Posts: 137 Member
This may very well be a local thing only, so I'll ask you guys. What is the deal with the CrossFit and Advocare relationship? Just about every single person I know that does CrossFit sells or buys Advocare products and most of these same people promote the Paleo eating lifestyle. To me these things do not go together. Am I missing something? Advocare products contain artificial ingredients. In the Spark there is: maltodextrin, silicon dioxide, artificial flavors and sucralose.

Replies

• MikeFlyMike
    MikeFlyMike Posts: 639 Member
    Options
    Assume it is a local thing. I do have a couple of non-cf gyms and trainers that push the advocare stuff. Maybe in the future with the crossfit "mergers" there maybe supplements etc that get national exposure.

to me I would not take advocare. I know it is higher quality supplements, but includes stuff I just don't want. I do vitamin D, omega 3's, and an awesome multivitamin.

If it sounds like it came from a chemistry class, I generally consider it non-paleo.
  • aggiesrar05
    aggiesrar05 Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    UGH Advocare. There is one CF lady who works with my fiance who constantly pushes Advocare on him. It's a pyramid!

One huge thing about supplements is they are not regulated in any way by the FDA and thus you really have no idea what is in them, where they are manufactured, of if any kind of peer reviewed studies have been conducted to look at harm/benefit.

Case in point, my fiance's brother used NOexplode for quite a while. Took a NOexplode energy shot immediately before a obstacle course race and ended up not finishing because he collapsed with severe hypertension, tachycardia, and blurred vision. He's lucky he didn't end up in the hospital.

I'm not saying that it was solely the supplement, but NOexplode has 3 different types of caffeine derivatives in it only 1 of which is actually labeled as caffeine. There is no way I would put that **** in my system.

Yes I know NOexplode isn't Advocare...

As for Advocare, I got curious and there are absolutely no peer reviewed scientific studies published looking at the harm/benefit of their supplements.

**Edited to say - Sorry I kind of got on my soap box about supplements. It just irks me a great deal.
  • tabbychiro
    tabbychiro Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    I've been doing CrossFit for over a year but have never heard of Advocare.
  • shaywallis
    shaywallis Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    I've been looking into all the CF boxes around here, trying to find one at a good price that I like. I haven't notice any of them pushing advocare. Until I can across the last one I'm about to go to today. They have advocare up on their website. First time I've ever seen something like that.
  • TaliaCarmella
    Options
    I have no idea, but thanks for posting this because now I may be more on my toes if I ever hear about it. Sounds like someone is getting their product and money in on a growing trend; CF. Seems like since it has gone so main stream everyone is trying to peddle products through the community.
  • Sasquatchrider
    Sasquatchrider Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    I've visited 6 different boxes (I know that's not a huge sampling) but I've never seen Advocare there...I most often encounter it at church.
  • snljatczak
    Options
    Several people are doing the 24 day advocare challenge at my box. For one I can't afford the stuff, and two, I'd rather follow the paleo diet. I know a lot of people who swear by the stuff, even a couple who claim to be strict paleo dieters. I get kind of tired reading their facebook "advertisements" about it all!