do i log breastfeeding & pumping??

Options
mellynat
mellynat Posts: 345 Member
So am trying to figure out how to log this breastfeeding this time from the beginning.. I breastfeed my newborn exclusively all day and night. On top of that I've have an abundance of milk and pumping at least 20-25 oz a day in between feedings.. Soo do I log the breast feeding and pumping together or separately. U hear all the time u burn 500 calories feeding the baby.. but if I'm pumping that much too. Is it possible I'm burning another 500 calories??

Replies

• lovelyrose11
    lovelyrose11 Posts: 609 Member
    Options
    From what I've read/researched the general rule is that you burn 20 cals per ounce of milk produced. I hope that helps!
  • ajnlee25
    ajnlee25 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    I just put mine in the food diary. I would add an additional 250. If it seems like you are not getting enough milk, or you feel like you are super hungry all the time up it even more.
  • Pepper2185
    Pepper2185 Posts: 994 Member
    Options
    Everything I've read also gives the 20 calories / ounce number.

If you are pumping that much in addition to exclusively breastfeeding, you are definitely using more than 500 calories. Maybe you could add the pumped amount (on top of your 500) into your diary based on how many extra ounces you pump that day? There is a "per ounce" breastfeeding option to use.

The neat thing is that this number will be accurate, because you actually know how much milk is being produced. Then again, you might just have to play around with your numbers to suit your supply and hunger level. High five for being a superstar milk factory!
  • chickybuns
    chickybuns Posts: 1,037 Member
    Options
    I would add a little more. I'm sure your little one is eating 20-30, so maybe put in 40 for breastfeeding, which would be 600 calories.
  • mellynat
    mellynat Posts: 345 Member
    Options

The neat thing is that this number will be accurate, because you actually know how much milk is being produced. Then again, you might just have to play around with your numbers to suit your supply and hunger level. High five for being a superstar milk factory!

LOL it's nice i dont' have to worry about not having enough milk.. but the pain i have in my shoulders/back i wish sometimes they would just produce a little less milk and were a little smaller.

anyway thank u for the info ladies! w all the breastfeeding and pumping I can tell my body needs those extra calories..
  • chickybuns
    chickybuns Posts: 1,037 Member
    Options

LOL it's nice i dont' have to worry about not having enough milk.. but the pain i have in my shoulders/back i wish sometimes they would just produce a little less milk and were a little smaller.

anyway thank u for the info ladies! w all the breastfeeding and pumping I can tell my body needs those extra calories..

If you want to produce less, just pump less and your body will adjust. I pump around 35-40 a day and wish I would make a little more because my guy eats 30-35 and I want to increase my freezer stash!!
  • chantelp89
    chantelp89 Posts: 590 Member
    Options
    I'm only pumping at most 13oz a day. I've had to supplement formula because I can't keep up with my LO now that she's eating 3-4oz
  • Aphrodite3010
    Aphrodite3010 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    You could log the extra pumped oz if you wanted. I too have/had an overabundance of milk. Before I started decreasing my supply I was making about 65 oz a day! Now I produce around 45 to 50, I only pump and I log 25 of those oz. It does give me an extra 500 cals per day which is nice but I haven't lost any weight in at least a month....kinda stuck at a standstill. :(