Being more sensitive as I get healthier.

Options
I just cried because my manager told me not to send my proposed catering menus to someone that asked us to order food for a training because she "expects us to take care of it". This was a normal and totally okay statement to make. However, it was a trigger for my PTSD. I am writing it out to work through it and acknowledge that as I get healthier, my raw emotions will surface more, it's going to be scary, but it's showing that I'm ready to work through things more.

Replies

• Hollyaw24
    Hollyaw24 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    It sounds like you are getting stronger and more prepared to handle more of your life. I don't have great advice for you, but you sound like you have great insight.
  • flying_inside
    flying_inside Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    Thanks, Holly. I appreciate it. Also, yeah, was definitely me just vocalizing where I was. My only issue w/the way I handle things, is wanting to sum it up quickly. Getting there! :)
  • Sivafae
    Options
    A lyric that roams my brain and surfaces every so often is a from Marvin Gaye's song, "Let's Get It On." He starts the song with, "We are all sensitive people..."

As I become healthier psychically, I find that my sensitivity is comes to the fore. To me this signals a need to care of myself more and to allow myself the space to feel and be compassionate with myself. It also means that I have to learn to detach as well.

I can only speak of my experience, but I wanted to identify with you that indeed, the more I come out of my psychic illness, the more sensitive I feel.
  • lorro
    lorro Posts: 917 Member
    Options
    I think if feelings have been overwhelming at times, it's natural to avoid them. But then often they come back stronger, unconnected with any specific trigger, reinforcing the need to avoid them. Once you start breaking out of this pattern and noticing how you are feeling in response to events and people around you, the degree of response can be very strong and scary. It is important progress though. It sounds as though already you are gaining the insight and ability to detatch that will help you get the perpective you need.

There's a great acronym that sometimes helps:
    AWARE

Accept the feeling,
    Watch the feeling,
    Act the opposite to the feeling,
    Repeat the above,
    Empathy for own distress
  • flying_inside
    Options
    :) I like that a lot, thank you, lorro!
  • flying_inside
    Options
    As I become healthier psychically, I find that my sensitivity is comes to the fore. To me this signals a need to care of myself more and to allow myself the space to feel and be compassionate with myself. It also means that I have to learn to detach as well.

Thanks for this. I recently had to admit just how in-my-head I was and learning to forgive myself for being that way. The comfort that *everyone* has sensitivities is very strong and wonderful, but it can cause a lot of confusion & distress. Slooooowly moving forward.
  • returntorural
    returntorural Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    This has been a helpful thread to me.

As I've dealt more honestly with my feelings and needs I've become more tearful. I cry when I am anxious mostly. I look perfectly calm on the outside but there are tears rolling down my face. It's happened at work (I lost that job), at doctor's appointments, for no reason. I've been learning to try to be more compassionate with myself about it and understand that after years of stifling feelings, it's ok to express them (appropriately).
  • lorro
    Options
    You're welcome :flowerforyou:

rural keep with it, you won't regret it.

The need to stifle feelings is closely linked to distress intolerance. Here's a link to a really good self help course designed to increase distress tolerance skills:
    http://www.cci.health.wa.gov.au/resources/infopax.cfm?Info_ID=54
  • Cynclancurrie
    Options
    Wow, if this is true, maybe there is hope for me. I have switched medications and ever since I have been completely off the other medicine (Prozac and Cymbalta). I cry for hours and hours every day. It is very out of control and I am really scared. I cry every morning when I get up for about three hours, cry every night, and have lost interest in all my old activities of reading, TV programs, movies, painting, talking to my husband. But there is no rage in there and no (or not much) desire to self injure. I just cry until I throw up. I am thinking I will have to quit my job.
  • returntorural
    returntorural Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    Thank you for the encouragement, lorro.

Currie, please don't give up. Perhaps you should go back and speak with your health care provider to tell them that whatever you're on now isn't working. I was in a similar situation and it took a lot of courage to talk to my doctor about it. Just be honest with your doctor about the crying and s/he will try to help you.
  • lorro
    Options
    Hi Currie, I agree with rural this sounds worsening depression, something your Doctor should be monitoring to make sure the new meds start to work soon.