Stretch 40

Options
dream_big
dream_big Posts: 75 Member
Today is supposed to be the first day doing stretch 40....really not looking forward to that. Does anyone skip these longer stretch videos? I have a hard enough time keeping my attention through stretch 10!

Replies

• jmcreynolds91
    jmcreynolds91 Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    I did stretch 40 once and found it was sooo boring. On those days, i will usually do stretch 10 and my own stretching. I find i still get a good workout in.
  • halleyg2
    halleyg2 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    I agree, Stretch 40 drags on and on and on.
  • dym123
    dym123 Posts: 1,670 Member
    Options
    I skip the Tone & Sculpt workouts because I rather use real weights, so I do my own strength training, I also do 6 week 6 pack in place of the Core workout, but I never ever skip Stretch 40 or Stretch 10.
  • dream_big
    dream_big Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    Figured I'd give it at least one try.....definitely not for me! At least it appears to only be once a week....might sub something else In Next time. Also found core 20 to be pretty slow too.
  • Starlage
    Starlage Posts: 1,709 Member
    Options
    i haven't gotten the whole set of dvds yet but I do have the fire 45 dvd and the stretch 10 at the end of that is HORRIBLE! I can't imagine doing it for 40 minutes. My plan is to just do one of my regular yoga dvds that I enjoy more. Chalene definitely needs to work on the stretch routine.
  • CherriB0mb
    Options
    I would never recommend skipping extended stretches. Chalene's voice annoys me, especially in stretch 10, so I mute the sound and play my own music which makes it easier to get through. TurboFire is very hard on the body and creates a lot of acid so I think it's best to do 40 minutes worth of prevention so you can keep preforming at optimum levels. As for swapping in Yoga X or X Stretch from P90X, I don't know how effective that will be because even though they both encourage improved flexibility, Stretch 40 focuses more on martial arts stretches which is very important. My overall thoughts are, if you're tough enough and committed enough to commit to HIIT training for 12-20 weeks you should be able to commit a measly 40 minutes to stretching, boring or not.
  • eheinze12
    eheinze12 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    I dislike stretch 40 too but trust me, it's worth it. I think in all honesty its your mind's way of tricking you to believe you aren't getting a good workout. I just did it yesterday. The first set of stretch 40's in the first 4 weeks were horrible. I had such a hard time getting through it but I had one day where the next day I was actually really sore and I have now seen such an improvement in my flexibility that I won't be skipping or giving that workout up. I know it stinks but suck it up and give it your best effort. I'm in week 5/6 now.. Day 50 and I now understand why its in the program.
  • justinegrey
    justinegrey Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    I am going to be doing stretch 40 today, but I really like stretch 10, I actually wished it was longer. I feel like I need good stretching on a daily basis, it makes me feel healthier and really does wonder for my well-being. If you look at it like "relaxation" time, that could help. And you burn calories too, so more food to eat back :)
  • slroggemann
    slroggemann Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    I have a love/hate relationship with stretch40. my body loves it, my mind thinks it's the most boring thing ever, but I always feel good at the end of it.
  • Starlage
    Options
    Now that I have the dvds.... Yes, I love stretching too, my body loves it and it makes my feel more felxible. However, I prefer my yoga dvds to chalene's stretch classes. To each thier own. I also don't do the stretch 10, I just do 10 mins of yoga. I figure as long as I'm keeping that in the routine, it doesn't matter whether it's Chalene's stretching routine or my yoga dvds!
  • preshusgem
    preshusgem Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    I am in Week 8 and I grew to love Stretch 40. Yes, it's really Yoga but I feel so much better afterwards. I hated the beginning where it's up/down/up/down....now I see why my body needs it. The only reason I like Stretch 10 is for that Tae Kwon Do stretch. I could never do it in the beginning, I always stayed way high like Alee then I was able to do it in the 2nd month and love it. It's a great stretch after doing Body Beast: Build Legs.
  • tamora13
    tamora13 Posts: 251
    Options
    I don't skip it.. I'm following the prep schedule and have done the stretch 40 twice now. My legs were so sore when I was done. It's good to get that nice stretch in.:)
  • tonyalenore
    tonyalenore Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    I did it for the first time a few days ago, and I liked it. I used to take yoga classes and it was just like one of them. The only downside I could see is that it is always exactly the same. I have a couple other yoga / pilates dvds I might switch out for it sometimes.
  • workout_junkee
    workout_junkee Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    The stretch is so important like it or not. You need the stretch to get maximum results. It is not my favorite but do not hate it.
  • Starlage
    Options
    yes, but I don't see why a yoga video that someone enjoy's more can't be substituted.