Addiction

Options
wowie69
wowie69 Posts: 44 Member
Does anyone else feel like they were addicted to food or certain foods?

Now that I've gotten several days behind me, I finally feel more human, but there were a few really rough days in the beginning. There was a niggling voice in my head reminding me what was in the fridge/pantry or how easy it would be to go to lunch, rather than have a cold salad again... And one specific day I was literally like I was in withdrawal - panicked, b$tchy, stressed out - all I could think of was Doritos...Reeses Pieces...a pop... anything. To the point that I was in the kitchen with a container open ... I got a whiff of the food and felt nauseous. It was literally like waking up from a trance! How did I get there?

I put the food away and filled a glass with water. I was quite shaken, I must say. However, since I've gone past that moment, I've felt better and stronger.

So - anyone else feel this weird, panicked "GOT TO HAVE IT" moment?

Replies

• Julie_Donahue
    Julie_Donahue Posts: 394 Member
    Options
    Pepsi.
  • BridgetAnn58
    Options
    Any salty foods.
  • Christie0428
    Christie0428 Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    I'm definitely addicted to sugar. I gave it (any form of refined sugar) up 10 days ago and I wasn't thinking that craving it or really missing anything, but I just realized that I've been eating like 3-4 servings of fruit a day. I'm not planning to give up my fruit anytime soon as it is keeping on my (self created) plan, but yes - addiction for sure!
  • DreyLove
    Options
    Dr Pepper
  • Christie0428
    Christie0428 Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    Oh, and several years ago I was full on addicted to Diet coke. I gave that up probably 4-5 years ago and when I hear a can crack open I sometimes still salivate.
  • Blakelynn3
    Blakelynn3 Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    I'm kind of that way about fast food. More for the convenience than because I think it tastes amazing. After running around all day with a kiddo in tow, I used to rely heavily on fast food and delivery for dinner. It was a problem. It's been hard to break the habit. I still allow myself a cheat day once a week, for example to grab fast food if I want to. I've only taken advantage once so far and ordered a healthier option when I did. I have a problem with cokes too. I've just made the goal that I'll cut out the bad things for six days a week. I'm not going to go crazy and binge on the seventh day but if I've been having a craving I can't shake, that's the day I get it out of my system. It's not always the same day of the week either. Just depends. I figure, it's all baby steps. Eventually it might be a cheat day every two weeks or once a month. Hopefully one day I'll be in control of my health and can have anything in moderation without it becoming an 'addiction' that makes me end up here again. And if I deprive myself of all of my vices as I'm starting I'll be more likely to give up. So, cheat day.
  • Tansy98
    Tansy98 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I've found I have an addiction to 'C' foods - chocolate, chips, cake, coke... And the more I'd have it the more I wanted it (especially the coke). Nearly 2 weeks free of the stuff I'm finding I don't really want it - hope it lasts, though I have decided that if I can last the month I'm going to reward myself with one small chocolate so I don't feel too deprived.
  • emilym820
    emilym820 Posts: 992 Member
    Options
    I am definitely a food addict in that I use it to cope with feelings sometimes. I tend to crave carbs when I am tired, sad, angry, stressed, etc.
  • jdawn120191
    Options
    Yep. Carbaholic here.
  • stephgas
    stephgas Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    yum, carbs. i am guilty of mindless eating and emotional eating. but as far as an addiction, it would have to be diet coke and chocolate. i drink diet coke every day and have no plans to stop, but i can only have diet coke after i drink at least 4 cups of water. i have a can with lunch and then switch back to water, and then have some with dinner. and chocolate cravings drive me nuts. i just get all flustered and feel like i NEED something chocolate. when i'm actively monitoring my food intake, i rely on 60 calorie chocolate puddings. i just purchased 90 calorie fiber one brownies and hope those help too.

another thing i've started this time around is candy. i bought a bag of individually wrapped rolo candies (one of my favorites) and put my husband in charge of it. he can decide when to surprise me with them.
  • cielbee
    cielbee Posts: 62
    Options
    Yes! But luckily I rarely crave them when I don't see them. It's seeing them that makes me want chocolate, ice cream or potato chips. There aren't a lot of other foods in my crave list.
  • Terri_terri
    Terri_terri Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Coke.....yummmm COKES.........I treat myself to one can a coke on Wednesdays. Didn't have my coke today because hubby took all the cokes out of the house & put them down at his shop. It has been raining all day so I didn't bother to go get one. Didn't want to get wet....lol
  • EmilyJZ
    EmilyJZ Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I crave crunchy things. There has to be a calorie issue in there somewhere as well because the crunch of vegetables does not work. This came as quite a surprise in the last few weeks seeing as I was having nightmares about quitting soda and fast food. Not as much of an issue as the crunch.
  • recee27
    recee27 Posts: 34
    Options
    Almost anything sweet! Especially home baked goods. Cookies, brownies, cinnamon rolls, rice krispie treats (my fav), ooey, gooey yummy treats. And I have a great talent when it comes to baking, so this really stinks!! I haven't baked anything since the week before Christmas, but I have wanted to. I just know I can't yet. But when I do I will make the smallest batch possible or I will just give most of it away to neighbors. They're all slim so I don't feel bad doing that! LOL
  • RobynUnfiltered
    RobynUnfiltered Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    I think this is how most of got here in the first place. We fill up whatever is missing in our lives with food. This leads us to reach for things that pack on the pounds whenever we feel stressed. also research suggests that many of the foods we crave are made in a way that reacts with our brains and taste buds to make us feel like we never have enough. For me its chips, which I will have in moderation once a week.
  • mirandaeaston
    Options
    I have been eating Paleo style and now 20 days in feel better and cravings are almost non issue . Easily hitting under my calories everyday. But I still have some dairy and got to have my dark chocolate. I have a very sedentary job so I have to work on getting myself moving more. I don't know yet if this is 100% will work or not but I'm giving it 90 days to see how I feel. I was vegan for a year gained weight and felt hungry all the time. So far this feels better for my body I'm going get comparative blood work done at 90 days and make sure I'm not doing any harm.
  • wowie69
    wowie69 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I think this is how most of got here in the first place. We fill up whatever is missing in our lives with food. This leads us to reach for things that pack on the pounds whenever we feel stressed. also research suggests that many of the foods we crave are made in a way that reacts with our brains and taste buds to make us feel like we never have enough. For me its chips, which I will have in moderation once a week.
    Exactly! I covered up EVERYTHING with food!
  • jacalennejax
    jacalennejax Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    UH- Carbs! How I miss thee!
  • Aellyn
    Aellyn Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    I'm kind of that way about fast food. More for the convenience than because I think it tastes amazing. After running around all day with a kiddo in tow, I used to rely heavily on fast food and delivery for dinner. It was a problem. It's been hard to break the habit.

I'm the same way. Last night I almost ordered pizza because I couldn't figure out what to fix for dinner. I finally forced myself to fix something at home. In the past I would have just gone for it and placed the order but I was able to resist the urge. In the amount of time the pizza would have taken to show up, I had something on the table that was better for us.
  • antitek
    antitek Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    I'm completely a slave to chocolate. 85% coca or even dark bakers chocolate are just fine with me. The sugar is of little consequence. To keep it under control I discovered that raw, unroasted cacao beans take care of the cravings. It is not sweet, in fact it is a little bitter, but it has that certain something that fills my need and keeps me from binging.