Dog food

Options
wowie69
wowie69 Posts: 44 Member
Last weekend Hubby and I went grocery shopping. One of the items on our list was dog food. He wasn't with me when I got to the dog food aisle, so I just picked up the bag and put it in the cart. I was pretty proud because in the past I'd have to have one of my teen boys do it, or hubby, because the bags are so big and awkward and, yes, heavy. I patted myself on the back for hefting it to my cart and putting it in there all by myself. (Evidently those weights I do at my desk 5 days a week *are* paying off!) So off I went on my merry way, got busy shopping again, my NSV forgotten.

I should mention here that my husband has been doing this life change with me. He weighed in Friday and has lost 29# to date. At the checkout, he turned to me as he hefted the bag on the conveyor and said, "That's 46 pounds." I excitedly said, "Yes!" and was about to erupt into my NSV moment with him when he said, "That bag of dog food weighs less than what we've lost combined!" I know I looked dumbstruck, but then sure enough, I stood and added his 29# lost to my 20# and WHOA. I was so stunned. I looked at that bag of dog food and him and back at the dog food... It was definitely a lightbulb moment.

All weekend long we would stop and say, "Dog food" and shake our heads. I'm still trying to wrap my brain around how proud I was that I could lift that bag...only to realize I carried almost half of it EVERY DAY on my butt! Or shoulders...or face...or belly...
On so many levels I'm trying to wrap my brain around it.

But seriously, the next time you're at the store, find something equivalent to the weight you've lost thus far. Look at the bulk and density of it. Imagine where you would put that on your person to be who you used to be again...and how awkward it would be... It's definitely an eye opener. A 5# bag of potatoes ... 2# bag of apples...1# of copy paper... It's incredible what we can do and we are all just beginning!

Happy week 4, Ladies!! :flowerforyou: What have you lost the equivalent of?

Replies

• Blakelynn3
    Blakelynn3 Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    I enjoyed reading that. Congrats to you and your hubs for coming this far! That is a good thing to remember, especially when you're like me and thinking that 10lbs is really insignificant when I have another 96lbs to go. When I used to watch The Biggest Loser it always struck me at the end of the season when they'd give the contestants these really heavy bags to carry and the contestants would be struggling and then the coaches would be like, oh? That's too heavy? That's how much weight you lost. Imagine putting all of that back onto your body.
  • wowie69
    Options
    I enjoyed reading that. Congrats to you and your hubs for coming this far! That is a good thing to remember, especially when you're like me and thinking that 10lbs is really insignificant when I have another 96lbs to go. When I used to watch The Biggest Loser it always struck me at the end of the season when they'd give the contestants these really heavy bags to carry and the contestants would be struggling and then the coaches would be like, oh? That's too heavy? That's how much weight you lost. Imagine putting all of that back onto your body.

Exactly!! And that feeling it's insignificant would usually lead me back down the road to temptation and failure.
    Just think of what we can say we are no longer carrying around when we're done!! Woohoo! :bigsmile:
  • Julie_Donahue
    Julie_Donahue Posts: 394 Member
    Options
    Hopefully when I weigh in tomorrow, I will have lost the equivalent of one of my babies newborn weight. (9 pounds).
  • Aellyn
    Aellyn Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on your NSVs! Thanks for reminding us that it all adds up and the journey is more than just the goal.
  • KatArceneaux
    Options
    :heart: :heart: :heart: What wonderful NSV's!!! Thanks for sharing your marvelous insights!
  • wowie69
    Options
    Hopefully when I weigh in tomorrow, I will have lost the equivalent of one of my babies newborn weight. (9 pounds).

WOoohooo! I'm rooting for you!!
  • tinatatertoes
    tinatatertoes Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    Great post. What a great way to look at it. I've lost a 10 lb bag of russet potatoes and a 2 lb bag of red potatoes :)
  • beckimj
    beckimj Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    yay!
  • demilade
    demilade Posts: 402 Member
    Options
    I have lost more than both my kids weigh!
  • Terri_terri
    Terri_terri Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    My husband tells me "You've lost 5, 5lb bags of sugar" lol
  • emilym820
    emilym820 Posts: 992 Member
    Options
    I like to think about sticks of butter too. Every pound is 4 sticks of butter. That gives you a visual of the mass too because it is literally a stick of fat.
  • wowie69
    Options
    I like to think about sticks of butter too. Every pound is 4 sticks of butter. That gives you a visual of the mass too because it is literally a stick of fat.

And butter is soooooooo my weakness! I love it on anything - even just saltine crackers.
    That fat visual... is depressingly awesome! LOL It will definitely make it so much easier to put it down!

Thanks! :happy:
  • watchthis1970
    watchthis1970 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    After reading your post on the dog food, I carried a 16 pound bag of cat food in and showed my husband... He had just hit the 16 pound mark that day... He had said he just doesn't see where he has lost weight. The bag gave him a visual of how much he had lost, its just that not all of it was lost in the same place.
  • wowie69
    Options
    After reading your post on the dog food, I carried a 16 pound bag of cat food in and showed my husband... He had just hit the 16 pound mark that day... He had said he just doesn't see where he has lost weight. The bag gave him a visual of how much he had lost, its just that not all of it was lost in the same place.
    :bigsmile:

How did he react? Was he happy? Surprised?
  • RobynUnfiltered
    RobynUnfiltered Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    Very cool story thanks for sharing it with us:happy: