New here!

Options
atoz133
atoz133 Posts: 38 Member
I just found MFP and took a shot that other cancer warriors might be here too ~ glad I found you. :smile: I can use some encouragement from others who have been there and are fighting the weight battle too.

I was near death when dx with Acute Myloid Leukemia sub 3 in 4/11, at 47 yrs. I went through 3 rounds of heavy chemo, and for the past 1.5 yrs have been on 3 daily chemos. (Only 9 months to go!) My biggest problem is my lack of energy. I know that excercise is the key for me to stay on track, but the chemo causes fatigue and I tend to use that as an excuse to sit on my bum. :tongue: I need help in keeping me honest and staying focused on the goal! I've already lost 20 lbs, but have 110 to go. yikes.

Replies

• jojo52610
    jojo52610 Posts: 692 Member
    Options
    Hello Welcome!

Chemo can kick you butt - you do what you can and don't overdo it - the best I could do was to eat healthy and clean as possble.
    Do what you can and don't sweat it. Congratulations on the 20LBs!
  • lingenft
    lingenft Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I talked to the nutritionist at the cancer center and she suggested some ideas of foods to help with energy loss. She also suggested that on those tired days to just do stretches. I've stuck with that and do as much as I can every day--walking, light weights,and stretching. Not losing a lot of weight, but I am losing inches. I have another 1 1/2 years of maintenance chemo to go. Good luck and congrats on the weight loss so far!
  • atoz133
    Options
    Thanks!:happy: jojo52610
  • atoz133
    Options
    lingenft ~ are you leukemic as well?
  • lingenft
    Options
    No, I have lymphoma. I have been in remission since August.
  • atoz133
    Options
    Congrats on the remission! How long will you be on maintenance chemo?
  • lingenft
    Options
    The doctor says 2 years, 12 treatments. Not too bad if I can keep the cancer at bay! How about you?
  • MelyndaWaldner
    MelyndaWaldner Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    I was diagnosed with ALL in 1991, I was 11 years old and was given 32% survival rate. I know all about not having any energy while going through chemo. I missed a ton of school but I was always on the soccer field. The doctors of course disapproved of this, but I credit my remission (19 years) with playing soccer and being stubborn.
  • atoz133
    Options
    The doctor says 2 years, 12 treatments. Not too bad if I can keep the cancer at bay! How about you?

You are so right! Maintenance is a small price to pay to keep the beast away!! I'm on a 2 yr maintenance as well. If all goes well, 8/24/13 will be my last day of chemo! Are you on IV treatments?
  • atoz133
    Options
    I was diagnosed with ALL in 1991, I was 11 years old and was given 32% survival rate. I know all about not having any energy while going through chemo. I missed a ton of school but I was always on the soccer field. The doctors of course disapproved of this, but I credit my remission (19 years) with playing soccer and being stubborn.

Wow! Good for you!! You must have been pretty sick. I was a soccer player when I was younger, so I can relate to the love of the game, and wanting to be there, no matter what. But I don't know if I could've played while battling ALL... and at 11 yrs... :noway: You're a tough cookie!!!