UK road bike under £1000 recommendations

Options
Currently I ride a Giant TCX2 which makes a great commuter bike, but isn't much cop for sportives where everyone has tyres as wide as a razor blade.

With this in mind I am looking to get a proper road bike soon for the summer season (I'm assuming my LBS will have a horrible backlog!).

I'll be buying this on the Cycle to Work scheme, so it'll need to be £1000 or less. I'm ideally looking for UK bike model recommendations here.

The Giant Defy 1 would be a easy choice for me, but Trek, Boardman and Ribble are all brands which interest me too. I need help!

Any recommendations you guys have would be most appreciated :glasses:

Replies

• cloggsy71
    cloggsy71 Posts: 2,208 Member
    Options
    Have a read here Daz :wink:

http://www.bikeradar.com/road/gear/article/best-road-bikes-under-1000-29719/

Obviously, not all the bases are covered, but there's a good selection :smile:
  • cloggsy71
    Options
    Planet X may also 'be your friend': http://www.planet-x-bikes.co.uk/bikes/q/drop_bar_road_bikes/drop_bar_road_bikes

Nice kit for the money here!
  • FatDadSlim
    FatDadSlim Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    Boardman always have a selection of some decent entry level bikes, sale on ATM too.
    http://tinyurl.com/a9h47yr
  • cloggsy71
    Options
    Boardman always have a selection of some decent entry level bikes, sale on ATM too.
    http://tinyurl.com/a9h47yr

+1 - I've got two Boardman's; a 2010 Boardman Team Carbon which I got in April '11 which is still going strong (which I bought just as the new 2011 version came out with the 105 kit on it for £1299) & a new Boardman Team CX, which I use as my winter ride...

Nice bikes, but don't get Halfords to build 'em for you! Do it yourself if you have the skills, or pay a good LBS to do the work for you if you don't!

You have been warned :lol:
  • goonas
    goonas Posts: 205
    Options
    I'd look at some older bikes, see if you can get good discounts on 2012 bikes.

I just bought a Marin Highway One Road/Hybrid Bike with £500 off retail because it's classed as a 2012 model.

I looked at Merida Speeder T5 as mentioned in your timeline - and it looked nice but for the extra few hundred it was worth if for me getting the Carbon framed bike.
  • Frannybobs
    Frannybobs Posts: 741 Member
    Options
    I'm hoping to be in the same position in a few months, as long as my company still run it. However, if it's the same Cyclescheme then I don't think Halfords are an approved supplier for Cyclescheme and I think all Boardmans (apart from the top notch ones) are supplied exclusively by Halfords. I could be wrong!
  • cloggsy71
    Options
    However, if it's the same Cyclescheme then I don't think Halfords are an approved supplier for Cyclescheme

You say that as though it's a bad thing :laugh:
  • KitTheRoadie
    KitTheRoadie Posts: 641 Member
    Options
    Hmm this question pops up occasionally, and I like it because it means I can go 'virtual bike shopping'! :wink:

The bikes in the link Cloggsy provided are quite nice and that Planet X looks hot too!

On Ribble you can get a full carbon bike for a smidge under £1000 providing you don't want to 'hop up' any of the components they come with. Personally I've had my eye on the 'Gran Fondo' for a while but would want at least a 105 groupset on it pushing it just over the £1000 mark so that's not much good!

Boardman make nice bikes but as Fran said I don't think you can get them on that scheme and personally I wouldn't go near Halfords with a barge-pole!

Do you have an LBS you could pop in to and see what they have on offer? They tend to be quite helpful and may even throw in a couple of extra's for you!

I built my bike so have no experience in shopping for new bikes, hence why I'm prob not being much help and just rambling! :wink:

Good luck in your search, let us know what you come up with! :bigsmile:
  • Frannybobs
    Frannybobs Posts: 741 Member
    Options
    However, if it's the same Cyclescheme then I don't think Halfords are an approved supplier for Cyclescheme

You say that as though it's a bad thing :laugh:

Haha - only in that it excludes you from buying a Boardman on the scheme and I liked the look of his fx female specific ones :-(
  • cloggsy71
    Options
    My missus has a Boardman Fi Hybrid (not that she ever uses it) :noway:
  • daz_automatic
    Options

Do you have an LBS you could pop in to and see what they have on offer? They tend to be quite helpful and may even throw in a couple of extra's for you!

Yeah I have a few decent LBS, but they are very Giant-orientated. I'll end up walking out with a Giant Defy 1, I know it! :glasses:

Agreed about Halfords, I have dealt with those muppets in the past. Never again!

Thanks for the pro-tips!
  • TheBigYin
    TheBigYin Posts: 5,686 Member
    Options
    another option - Dolan...

http://www.dolan-bikes.com/road-bikes/Carbon/Sram Op/Mythos Road Bike?product_id=456

though i'd sign up to the planet-x email newsletter, and wait until they have a "special" on - that Pro-Carbon that they're knocking out is a nice bike, but the frames been around for a couple of years now, and the more up to date stuff like their RT-57 frameset based bikes are probably a better bet - though I admit "list price" they're still over the budget at the moment. PX do have something of a habit though of having "we need the space in the warehouse, so for a short time the price is mullered" sales - hence the recommendation to get on their newsletter list.
  • Izabera
    Izabera Posts: 28
    Options
    This is nice for £999

CBPXSLPRIV13_P10.jpg

http://www.planet-x-bikes.co.uk/i/q/CBPXSLPRIV13/planet_x_pro_carbon_sram_rival_road_bike
    [/quote

I like this one- Just bought an Mtb through cycle to work scheme, will be getting a road bike for sure in the next few months
  • cloggsy71
    Options