question of the week

Options
kithalloyd
kithalloyd Posts: 135 Member
How many of you deal with a lot of leg cramps? Seems to me that mine have increased in the last few months. I try to look for a cause and it says low potassium but diabetics often have it more than others. I am personally tired of the cramps because now they go all the way down to my toes. Anyone have any suggestions please let me know. I have been eating healthier.

Replies

• DebbyMargaret
    DebbyMargaret Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I have only suffered from night time leg cramps when my sugar was too high and I haven't exercised. Also low water consumption seems to contribute to leg cramps while exercising.

The remedy, for me, is a diet that is balanced nutritionally, eating healthy carbs (whole grains & fruit and no rice, no white bread/crackers/pasta, no sugary carbs, no wine). Daily exercise, when there is no time, even a 20 minute walk will increase circulation and help me avoid night time leg cramps.
  • JerriBeasley
    JerriBeasley Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I have a connective tissue disorder on top of the diabetes. I get leg cramps (and muscle spasms elsewhere) very often. I take a supplement that is potassium, magnesium and calcium all combined. It seems to do the trick most of the time. Drinking lots of water and stretching help as well. When you do get the cramps, use a tennis ball to roll around on the cramped area to help flatten out the spasm. I know it hurts! I hope all that will help. =)
  • MurderMeSomeFat
    MurderMeSomeFat Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    The only pain I have in my legs is my left calf. Last April I had such a bad charlie horse that it tore my muscle. I ignore the pain and continue to do vigorous exercise despite it. Now, the only time I notice it is when I am at rest and I am rubbing my muscle... The harder I work out, the less I feel it. I have an issue with my right hip. Feels like there is a shard of glass in my hip socket sometimes. I sure hope it is not a stress fracture or the start to arthritis!