Motivation

Options
luceeleanor
luceeleanor Posts: 48 Member
Hi everyone,

I'm finding keeping motivated really hard! Does everyone else look around them and see lots of slim people really happy, looking great etc and just want to hide away and eat ice cream (which really defeats the point doesn't it!).

I want to lose weight because I'm sick of being on my own and feeling like no one will ever like me because I'm too fat, and that people are embarrassed to be seen with me. Because weight is so closely linked to my emotions and confidence, I'm really struggling!!!!

Sorry for the rant, but I just want to know how you guys stay motivated and on track. Have you been able to get rid of the emotional eating?

L xxx

Replies

• teshiburu
    teshiburu Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    I know the feeling, having just come out of a relationship, and blaming myself for my size being the root cause.

Emotional eating is really hard, I do look at some foods and think i could destroy that, but then look on here and imagine the beating i would get if i did eat them :p
  • newdaydawning79
    newdaydawning79 Posts: 1,503 Member
    Options
    I just...push forward. I honestly get a lot of my motivation from the people here on MFP. I try to encourage everyone every time something of theirs posts to my feed and that in turn keeps me motivated myself. Because I'm consistently in here to comment and keep up on everyone, I'm always reminded why I'm doing this and it helps me to stay on track! :)
  • RosscoBoscko
    RosscoBoscko Posts: 632 Member
    Options
    I do feel tempted at times, and at times give in to the temptation (only every now and then). but I don't let it happen too often as I look at the progress I have made, and how far I still have to go and then I tell myself am not going to let the hard work go to waste by letting it all slip again. PLus the more I focus on the weight loss and fitness, the better I feel mentally as not letting myself drop back on that side.

Am also very lucky to have the support of a couple of very close friends, one of whom wouldn't let me drop off the wagon. She is still waiting till I get to the point I can run 10k's with her on a Sundays. Sounds like she is a slave driver, but has actually been a massive calming influence on me mentally.
  • luceeleanor
    Options
    Thanks for your replies! I'll try to keep logging in to keep myself on track!
    Rossco - that is great that your friend is so supportive! Lucky you! I find that my friends are very much busy with their own lives, planning weddings etc so this is really something I have to do by myself, which is why I'm so grateful for you guys!!

• RosscoBoscko
    RosscoBoscko Posts: 632 Member
    Options
    Thanks for your replies! I'll try to keep logging in to keep myself on track!
    Rossco - that is great that your friend is so supportive! Lucky you! I find that my friends are very much busy with their own lives, planning weddings etc so this is really something I have to do by myself, which is why I'm so grateful for you guys!!

Yeah am definitely lucky. Funny thing is I have known her for 19 years, we were at school together, and I used to play rugby with her ex (who we were also at school with), so have always got on well with her, but in the last 5 months we have become quite inseparable, will always hang out at weekends and at least once during the week.
  • kmelissa02
    Options
    I'm an emotional eater also. I get depressed and all I want to do is eat. Then I take a look at my daughter and I remind myself that she is one of the reasons I want to get healthy. My daughter is my main motivation.
  • newmrswood
    Options
    I sat around and ate all day yesterday!!!! NO IDEA WHY! I had planned to workout and find healthy things and insetad I shoved lots of food in my mouth. IDK what's going on! I was doing so good and now...this is how it first started...

I need to find my motivation again
  • BranMuffin947
    BranMuffin947 Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    I've found that I'm actually motivated by my body. For example, I've lost some weight already and I look noticeably better & I LOVE it. I LOVE being able to wear a fitted t-shirt and look pretty darn decent (not perfect b.c I definitely have a pudge). I don't have to hide with jackets & such.

That alone, being able to look nice in clothes, is something that I don't want to give up.
  • BranMuffin947
    BranMuffin947 Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    I sat around and ate all day yesterday!!!! NO IDEA WHY! I had planned to workout and find healthy things and insetad I shoved lots of food in my mouth. IDK what's going on! I was doing so good and now...this is how it first started...

This is what I did all last week. PMS is my killer, like I honestly cannot find anything around it.
  • fara180
    fara180 Posts: 1,260 Member
    Options
    I don't really think I'm an emotional eater- when I get upset I tend to shut down and the thought of eating makes me want to throw up. That's actually how I kick started my weight loss journey, I barely ate anything after a ROUGH break up.

BUT I definitely eat when I'm bored. I have a classic case of the late-night munchies. After 10 pm rolls around, I find myself rummaging through the kitchen for ANYTHING and I'm not even hungry! Ugh, it sucks. I'm trying to make myself go to bed earlier so I can a) be more rested and b) avoid those snacks.
  • HOLLEE85
    Options
    I'm also an emotional eater but everytime I think about eating I ask myself why? If it's because of emotions I ask myself.....Is eating this really going to help me or is it going to make me feel worse? If I really find the urge to eat something I go for an apple orange pear etc etc.....At least I can say HEY it was fruit it's not gonna hurt.
  • df1982
    df1982 Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    Emotions, hormones, boredom, feeling like I just want to give up and enjoy myself in the moment - they all get the better of me.

I find seeing progress the most motivating - not necessarily on the scale (although it's nice when that happens!), but in terms of how clothes fit, or feeling stronger at the gym, or seeing clearer skin, or feeling more energetic overall. Even feeling just that little bit better motivates me to keep on "just doing it" and NOT go backwards.

It's tricky though, because whenever I'm starting to get back into healthy routines, I don't see progress right away (Maybe others also have this experience? Sometimes I feel like I'm alone in this, since I know people who can drop like ten pounds of fluid in a week when they start exercising like crazy and eating healthy . . .). And, sometimes, I actually feel worse when I start, because it's a shock to my system! I can get frustrated and give up. If I just push through that initial slump though, to the point where I can actually focus on progress of some sort, then it becomes easier.

Good luck everyone!
    Elma
  • luceeleanor
    Options
    You guys are great :)

Fingers crossed we will all have lost a little for the week 1 weigh in tomorrow!! xx
  • Sindaelys
    Sindaelys Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I had to accept my larger self before any of this started to happen. I wouldn't recommend the particular process I used to get that ball rolling, but it was a necessary first step for me. When things started going pear-shaped, there were a couple of things that helped me out, like making sure I was dressed well and my makeup was good. Probably most effective (for me) though was getting angry. I got really angry about being mopey at everything, (and a particular someone) and said ENOUGH! I'm going to do something for myself, by myself, because I can! After that incident, I now get these really lovely days where my self-confidence goes through the roof because I'm burnt out on caring about other people's opinions.
  • newmrswood
    Options

This is what I did all last week. PMS is my killer, like I honestly cannot find anything around it.

I don't know why I didn't think about PMS!!! It's about that time and I know I usually eat more than usual but this has been crazy. Yesterday was even worse, ate 2200 calories yesterday. I'm doing better today, which is probably because I have no money for two weeks LOL
  • magdalen13
    magdalen13 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    For me I'm not so much an emotional eater as an "I'm bored" eater... so I've got to play tricks on myself like drinking a glass of water when I think I'm hungry, or finding something to occupy myself with.

I'm keeping motivated for this particular Valentine's Day goal cause I'm going to a concert on Feb. 14 and it's in a stadium... those arena seats are always so tiny and I feel like I'm spilling over the sides. So whatever I can lose by then, I'll really appreciate! :D
  • delonda1
    delonda1 Posts: 525 Member
    Options
    Sometimes I get discouraged but then think..... i pulled myself this far I can keep going. Its not always easy to motivate yourself because you are your biggest enemy. but nothing can get better if you quit.. remember that