eating - just not worth it??

Options
First, let me note that I *DO* understand the importance of eating and all of that and I have not (or do not plan on) stopped eating, this is more of a question/comment focused on the "mental" aspect of things.

Do you ever just feel like eating isn't worth it? As I fix my little mix of food that equals out to 1/4 - 1/3 cup total I do sometimes look at it and think "for this small amount of food, I'd rather just skip this". Or knowing that it's time to eat (my body is saying "feed me") I am like "well, what combination of bite sized morsels can I get excited about tonight?"

Maybe I have made a breakthrough (giggling) - eating used to be something I just couldn't wait to do and now I could really care less. It's become more of inconvenience than an enjoyable experience.

Thoughts??? Again, I'm not going to quit eating or anything like that, just curios if other VSG'ers have experienced the same or similar? If so, did it seem to be a phase or just how it the new lifestyle is?

Replies

• Cheekybookworm
    Options
    I had a similar thought today. For so many of the same reasons. Like you, I understand the importance of feeding my body what it needs to thrive and I wouldn't interfere with that - but eating has become more of a chore than something I enjoy.

In other words, I can totally relate!
  • lee91356
    lee91356 Posts: 330 Member
    Options
    I totally get what you mean, especially on those days that I dont always have an appetite. However, I will admit now that I can control my portions I do like meal time more, especially now that I'm further out and I can eat a bit more. I do tend to eat softer foods still since I can handle more than a couple of ounces.
  • I still get hungry and I eat 5 - 6 times a day............
    as for the enjoyment of eating - no I dont enjoy it anymore.
    I dont eat just to eat - or I dont eat just for the flavor / taste of food like I used to.
  • mandyabraio
    mandyabraio Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    I sometimes feel the same way... but I also am never hungry, unless it's been many hours between meals. But the way I do my meals with my protein shakes as a snack between my meals, I never am hungry, I have to remind myself it's time to eat some food lol
  • clblew
    clblew Posts: 30
    Options
    Wonderful replies everyone, thank you!
    I eat about every two hours. My stomach seems to "remind" me. It isn't really a hunger feeling as I had before surgery. It's more of an uncomfortable "need something to churn on" feeling. I guess these are some of the things I didn't think about before surgery - the new sensory feelings associated with hunger, fullness, etc. It is quite the adventure.
  • shrinking_sarah
    shrinking_sarah Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Yep. I often think "I could get 3x this protein with a drink." But I still try to eat most of my protein, even though it doesn't feel "worth" the effort!
  • clblew
    clblew Posts: 30
    Options
    I'm now fighting nausea and pain when I eat or drink. (Just 1 bite or drink is making me ill and in pain), so now eating REALLY isn't a fun thing. I just look at the bright side - I'm saving a lot of groceries! :)
  • Cheekybookworm
    Options
    I still get hungry and I eat 5 - 6 times a day............
    as for the enjoyment of eating - no I dont enjoy it anymore.
    I dont eat just to eat - or I dont eat just for the flavor / taste of food like I used to.

I was just having this conversation. I too no longer enjoy eating - at all. I eat but only as a function for living. Sometimes it bugs me that I don't even midly enjoy eating the little bit of food I'm eating.
  • lanip00h
    lanip00h Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    yeah...I'm only 1 month post op...and I don't enjoy eating anymore. It is more of a chore, then relaxing or fun. I guess that is a good thing because I won't turn to it (emotional eating) during certain feelings. I have to weigh or measure and then sit down and chew or and eat slowly. It takes a lot of time out of my day.
  • jessalynn37
    Options
    there are some days when i completely feel that way....and on those days - i just drink extra water or have an extra protein shake. I'm only 3 months out now, but i'd say in total, i've had maybe 4 of those days... i would have to think it's normal....
  • evilnosehair
    Options
    I really feel you all! I waste so much food now. Even if I prepare tiny portions I still throw most of it out. Today was a "bad" food day for me. Everything I tried gave me some distress. Makes me want to go back to broth! My nutritionist(s) told me at my post-op visit that I need to keep trying solids because continuing liquids will allow my sleeve to become more restricted. Say it isn't so!
  • Mwrarr
    Mwrarr Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I'm 17 days out & I've had this thought since Day 1. I couldn't sip anything without crying for the 1st week. I was on clear liquids for 5 days longer than is normally recommended patients. Once I started full liquids, I could get about 2 oz of protein shake in a day. Forget any fluids other than water. Finally I got a PPI & that helped a lot. But now I'm on a modified pureed diet (sssssslow progression due to the week 1 hold up), but I really only have the full liquids and a few cautious nibbles of pureed/soft foods. And I just do not care. The desire to eat is just not there. I actually blogged about it today. LOL Personally for me, I know it's related to the physical distress that I get every single time I try to eat anything other than the random cheese stick.
  • spfldpam
    spfldpam Posts: 738 Member
    Options
    It does get better as time goes by. I only ate cause I had to and was told to the first three months post op from sleeve surgery. Nothing tasted good. At about 4-5 mohths post op the flavors came back and tasted good to me in foods. Now at over 10 months out I can eat about anything but of course in small amounts and I still focus on protein first, 80 oz of more of liquids and try to make good food decisions.
  • UnderCoverShyGirl
    UnderCoverShyGirl Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    Amazing I saw this today. Just this weekend i feel like i had a little epiphany. I'm almost 6 months out and have struggled, only have lost about 65 lbs. I'm not unhappy about it, but know it could and should be more. I have struggled with my eating, realizing that i have such a hard time resisting social eating, etc...grazing a lot and it's my own fault it's coming off slower. Just this weekend i realized that i am only looking at food as a pleasurable thing, i don't have hunger. I eat because it's lunchtime and i eat an amount i was told i should eat at this point (1 1/2 cups to 2 cups - a lot more than a lot of sleevers, but that's what my surgeon and nutritionist planned). And this weekend i realized that I didn't have to eat that way. That i was making choices and it really "wasn't worth it"...that i should look at food more as fuel for the body and not so much as pleasure. I thought i had conquered that, but i realize it was still there lingering in the back of my head encouraging me to eat "just because". I know this isn't exactly how you meant "just not woth it" in your OP but it just struck me as another version of "not worth it" and so coincidental to my ephiphany! LOL Since i had that little "open eye" moment, i've been doing really well with my approach to food. Now hopefully it will last!!

PS - i seem to be one of those sleevers that can eat anything - nothing gives me a problem, that's a curse and a blessing i suppose!
  • shirleygirl910
    shirleygirl910 Posts: 503 Member
    Options
    It's part of the head games we play. Before remember how when you went out to eat you wanted to get the most food for your money? We now look at our plate and feel we are wasting our time.

It's funny as time goes by and you keep in the support groups you will know how far out from surgery by how they view food. Watch and enjoy other VSG'ers reaction and comments.