Southwest Chicken Soup (with whole grains)

Options
BeckyAndie
BeckyAndie Posts: 39 Member
Hi all,

I invented a new soup last night that my husband scarfed down... and went back for more. I call it Southwest Chicken Soup. I thought it was pretty good too so I decided to share it with my foodie friends. Here ya go.

Ingredients:
12 oz. (or more-- that's what I had on hand last night) boneless, skinless chicken breasts, thawed and cut into half-inch cubes
2 Johnsonville Turkey Smoked Turkey Sausages (links), cut in quarters and diced
16 baby carrots- cut in 4 pieces each
1 medium sweet onion, diced
2 ribs of celery, chopped in pieces similar to the carrots
1 large russet baking potato, cubed as celery and carrots
4 cloves garlic, minced
3 Tbs. Olive oil
1/4 tsp. Kosher Salt
Cracked Black Pepper
3/4 Cup Pearled Barley
1/2 Cup Quinoa
1/4 Rice (I used white, but you could us any you wanted)
4 Cups Water
1 Cup 2% Milk
1/4 tsp. Chipotle powder
1/2 tsp. Cumin
1/2 Tbs. Chili powder
4 tsp. Chicken Soup base (optional)

I started by sautéing the veggies in 2 Tbs. olive oil, salt and pepper. As the onions became translucent I added fresh garlic, turkey sausage, and dried spices. Then I added the water and brought it all to a boil.

At that point, I reduced to simmer and added the grains and chicken. After 15 minutes I slowly incorporated the milk and tested seasoning.

After another 5 minutes I turned it off, let stand for 5 minutes, and then served it.

Garnish: reduced-fat, shredded pepper-jack cheese. (Garnish not counted in nutrition facts below)

Serves: 8
Serving size: 1 cups
Calories per serving: 330
Carbs: 39
Fat: 10
Protein: 16

If you try the recipe, let me know what you thought or what changes or suggestion you might have.

Happy cold, wintery day soup to you!

Replies

• cphaneuf16
    cphaneuf16 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    This sounds really good! My husband is not a soup fan because he thinks they are always watery and lack substance. This one doesn't lack substance!

The grains are added uncooked, right? Do they cook in so little time?
  • rebecca_florida
    rebecca_florida Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    Agreed - sounds hearty and healthy! Our winter has been so mild thus far here in FL that I haven't made many soups, but I think I could go for this one in any weather! Thanks for posting.
  • rvicini
    rvicini Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    Thank you! Very nice!
  • BeckyAndie
    BeckyAndie Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    This sounds really good! My husband is not a soup fan because he thinks they are always watery and lack substance. This one doesn't lack substance!

The grains are added uncooked, right? Do they cook in so little time?

Yes, the grains cooked pretty quickly. I like them a little al dente anyway because if they go to mush the soup would be pretty unappetizing.