Juicing with fruit allergies

Options
Hi All

I've heard a mixture of good & bad things about juice-fasting, however I think only good can come from incorporating fruit/vegetable juices in to anyones diet.

Unfortunately for me, as I have got older I have developed allergies to apples, pears, strawberries & cherries. But if I cook these fruits before consuming I have no reaction at all.

As most of the juice detox plans include one or more of these fruits I'm wondering whether I should try & find alternative fruits or to cook the fruit before juicing.

Adding leafy greens & vegetables is the main reason I want to start juicing (I'm due to buy a masticating juicer within the next week)

Does anyone else have fruit allergies?

What are your opinions about cooking fruit before juicing, does this defeat the object?

Thanks for reading!

Replies

• Querian
    Querian Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    I do not think you should cook your fruit first. I would just substitute other fruits that you can have raw. Here is a link ... http://www.rebootwithjoe.com/juicing/substitution-list/

There are lots of other good fruits to use, I especially like grapes. Oranges, watermelon, peaches, plums pineapple and I'm sure there are lots of other good options too.

:flowerforyou:
  • hayleykateldn
    Options
    Thanks for the link, that's really useful!
  • SqueezeTheClay
    SqueezeTheClay Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I'd avoid what your allergic to and switch to fruits you can consume. Juicing recipes aren't set in stone, most don't have strawberries or cherries (unless it's a smoothie recipe) and apples and pears can easily be exchanged for grapes or other sweet fruits. Most of the time, the apples and pears are present in the green juice recipes to add a touch of sweetness and take away the greenness of the taste. You could even leave them out and get your sweetness from carrots. I tend to look at juicing recipes to see what flavors go well together, but then end up making my own based on personal preferences and what I have in the fridge. You'd be surprised how many vegetables you can combine when you also add a little lemon and ginger.
  • hayleykateldn
    Options
    Great advice, my juicer comes tomorrow. I can't wait to get started.