How about a weekly chat thread? Mon 1/28 to Sun 2/3

Options
Starlage
Starlage Posts: 1,709 Member
I think what this group is missing is a general weekly chat thread. To talk about whatever. TF..... life... funny things... whatever. It's a great way to get to know eachother on here. Being such a large group though, I don't know how well it'll turn out. Let's see if anyone responds!!

I'm Starla, I live in washington state in the Seattle area. I'm 29 years old, single, and ready to get into better shape! I'm a medical assistant in a busy clinic so I acutally move around about half of the day- wonderful for built in exercise! With that in mind, I cringe at how much I must have been eating to balloon up to 174 (gained like 35-40lbs over a 10 year period) I've been working on losing weight over the last two years (slowly of course) and after maintaining most of last year, i'm ready to get back at it and hopefully see some more changes/ lose some more fat. I'm at 150lbs right now, and at only 5'2" I figure I could lose some more comfortably. My lowest happy weight as an adult was around 20. I was between 135 or 140? It's a good weight for me, I'm really hoping to get back there someday! I fell in love with TF a few weeks ago after getting one of the dvds off ebay (fire 45) - then got the rest of the set last week! I'm still waiting for it to arrive. (hurry up USPS!) I can't wait to get started on it! My exercise habits have always been random mixes of dvds, with some running mixed in. I can't afford a regular gym membership and kinda don't want to. I can't see myself going to a gym all the time to workout. I actually enjoy working out at home and do better by myself with my many workout dvds (like 30, no joke) in the comfort of my own home. I know that soon I'll need to add weights into my routine though. This'll mean getting yet MORE dvds. hahaha! Luckily I already have a set of dumbbells with changeable plates- I just need to get more plates a decent dvds to go with them. I'm thiking - a round of TF, then maybe ebaying for chaelene extreme and doing the hybrid program for those.

Alright, I'm chatted out for the moment. Now to wait and see if anyone else wants to chat!

Replies

• tonyalenore
    tonyalenore Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    I live in northeast FL, and I just turned 30. Dated my husband for 10 years and we got married about a year and a half ago. We have a 9 yr old.

About 5 years ago I got hit by a drunk driver, and my back got injured. I gained about 40 lbs over about 2 years, and just sat around feeling sorry for myself. At that point i was 175, and I joined a gym, but I ended up never going. I did start jogging a couple times a week, not for long, maybe 20-30 minutes. My diet was never under control until about a year ago. Over the last year I lost about 10 lbs from just cal counting, and now I'm ready to lose the rest! I am also going to the keys in 3 months so I am extra motivated right now lol
  • dream_big
    dream_big Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    I'm 27, live in Canada. Single mom to a 6 year old boy. Work as a nurse in a long term care home doing mostly night shifts. After I graduated nursing in may decided it was time I get back into shape, been a slow process with a couple injuries along the way to slow things down (one from jogging and one from work) but back at it now. Finished day 1 of week 2 today and loving it so far. Also do 30 day shred when I have the time and try to fit in jogging but lately that's been pushed to the back burner. Hard finding time between the kid, work and life but so far I'm making it work!
  • Vini9
    Vini9 Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    Hi Ladies, I am a stay at home mom of three. I have a 5, 3, and 2 year old. Yup, that's how I put on the weight. My frist i didn't gain all that much but he was a preamie of 32 weeks and spent 36 day in th nicu. Mostly take out as I spent the days from 7am to 11pm there. I tried to lose weight and dropped 25 lbs hit a no loss and found out preggers with #2. She caused all kinds of stress for me since the threat from having a preamiee loomed overhead. She was healthly and I was not. I had gained my 25 and some more. 6 months later guess what baby # 3 was on his way. I Love my children but my baby was not planned and I was not ready for him. I had a hard time even telling people cause I would break down. He was a "prevented" baby. I ended up having him c-section cause he went breech, the week he was due. I have been trying to lose weight for the last year and a half and found MFP in aug. I hope it helps me on this journey. I just completed TF 20 weeker. and loved it. I am doing TF/CLX hybrid Janelle Summers style. So far so good.

I pushed play today and did Fire 45 and Ab burner. (thought it might be nice to what we are doing) Keep pushing play ladies! :)
  • Starlage
    Options
    @tonya, wow a back injury's a big thing to overcome! That's impressive. And the keys- I'm totally jealous! I haven't been able to afford a real vacation yet in my adult life. Sounds like fun! I bet the stronger you get from TF the better your back gets!

@dream_big my running's totally gone to the back burner. I had started running in March of last year and up until a few weeks ago went at least a couple of times a week for most of an hour at a time- but it just got too cold and wet! Living in the Seattle area, I don't think I'll ever understand the "wet weather" runners. I tried it... really tried! I was so misterable being all wet though. I don't enjoy the running when it's in the 40's or below either. Picky, I know. haha! I stopped a few weeks ago and started the TF dvd I have/ other similar workouts. Also- a single mom and night shifts along with exercise? Good for you! That makes me tired just thinking of all that.

@vini WOW. That's a lot! I'm always impressed by people with more than one kid. Makes my head spin! haha. MFP's been so amazing. I've been on here almost 2 years now! Really amazing. I've made so many friends, some that I've acutally met up with in real life. It's made the biggest difference having this community of support on here.

I did my fire 45 dvd today, woop! This working out 6 days a week thing that I started a few weeks ago (when I got the fire 45 dvd- geez I wish the rest of the dvds would hurry up and arrive!) is SO DIFFERENT for me! The last two years the most I ever worked out in a week was 4 days a week. Maybe that'll help a lot with my weight loss? That'd be nice.... I'm also adjusting well to my calorie level- after so long maintaining last year on anywhere from 2200-2600 a day going down to 1800-1900 a day was quite a change!! I really really hope its my sweet spot. I should know in a few more weeks. I've already gone back down to 150 (after the holidays I was regularly seeing 154 on the scale, so an actual gain instead of my normal range of peaking here and there) so I think that's a good sign that this level of exercise and food intake will be the ticket. The real test will be if I can get out of the 150's. I'm SO CLOSE. I've been in them for so long, I'm ready to move on!

Anyways, it's my precious tv time. I wake up at the crack of dawn for work- by 5am every morning and start work at 730. I workout after work, so by the time I get done with that and make dinner for myself it's usually 7pm! I really enjoy a few hours of tv before bed :smile: haha
  • eheinze12
    eheinze12 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    I am 24--in my first year of marriage (June 30) and we are buying a house..closing tomorrow actually! I have been overweight my whole life. I remember my first pair of jeans being a junior's 9 and that was in junior high school. I have also been super self-concious and uncomfortable in my skin. I work a desk job at a healthcare system and as of late, the heaviest I have ever been. I have struggled with my sister being this super thin, active, blonde and she's gorgeous. Up until two years ago, I started dieting.. using mfp and working out almost everyday for 7 months. I started at 179 and got to my lowest weight ever of 135 and was in a size 7 jean's in some stores! I stopped watching what I ate, binged, and ballooned.. now I am here starting at 216 pounds--heaviest I have ever been. I started December 2, 2012 and have slowly but surely been losing weight. I think I lost too much too quick last time and it was a shock. I am on day 51 of the turbo fire program and very excited to get to 60 days. I feel I have been losing tons of inches this month compared to the first. I'm super excited to share my progress.. admidst moving this weekend!! :) My plans are to finish 90 days of turbo fire and start chalean extreme mixed with running. :) Although my plan may change, my goal is still the same :)
  • MuireannM
    MuireannM Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I'm 32 and from Ireland.

I've struggled with my weight my whole life, I was a very fat kid, lost all of the weight when I was 16-17 through diet and exercise but didn't understand at the time I'd have to watch my weight forever. I yo-yo'd all through my 20's, going from one diet to another, spending a fortune on miracles, pipe dreams and pills!

I hit an all time high weight of 345lb at about age 29 and I am determined to never go back there again. I've worked on my attitude to food, exercise etc, stopped looking for miracles and short cuts and became addicted to Turbo Jam. It got me to this point, but I needed something more advanced and am now completely addicted to Turbo Fire.
  • Amberh82
    Amberh82 Posts: 468 Member
    Options
    I'm Amber. I'm 30 and my job requires me to sit from 8-12 hours a day... I have yo-yo'd in my weight loss mainly due to my eating habits. Over the past year, I've gained 20 pounds and I'm only 4'10 so that is ALOT on this petite frame. I've decided this year, its time to take care of me and actually get the weight off for good. I have tried several of the beachbody programs but so far found turbo jam and turbo fire to be my favorite. I bought turbo fire with the firestarter dvds a few months ago and made it through week 4, but then got off track. I started again yesterday. I have now completed 2 days.
  • Starlage
    Options
    Good morning ladies! Today's plan will be one of my turbo jam dvds since my TF dvds STILL aren't here. Boo. I looked up the trackng number and the united states postal service is officially incompetent! LOL. The package started in NY, came across the country to Federal Way, Wa (like 45 minutes from where I live) and was distributed to California last week, and is en route back to WA to me. What a waste of resources! LOL. Oh well, it'll come some day. Anyways, it was so hard to get up today!! I really just wanted to keep sleeping. I don't get enough sleep during the weekdays. I know this.. but.. can't fix it! In order to get enough I'd have to start going to bed at like 9pm. That's too early. I go to bed at 10, then probably fall asleep by 1030 and end up with around 6.5 hrs of sleep a night. I was in the middle of a dream when my alarm went off today, so definitely not ready to get up! I make up for it on the weekends though- yet another advantage of singleness, I can sleep in super late weekends. No kiddos or family to wake me up! haha! I can tell today's going to be another boring clinic day, so that doesn't help my energy level. two of my doctors that are usually in clinic aren't here today so I've only got about a dozen patients all day with the nurse practitioners. Boring! When the regular MDs are here I get to do fun prodecures and spend more time with the patients, but the nurse practitioner's clinics are super boring to run. That means finding busy work.... and internetting a lot... argh. There are also two pretty, young medical students here shadowing one of our young, hot, single doctors. bleh. I hate the shameless flirting. LOL.

@ liz, my BFF is to me what your sister is to you! She's tall, gorgeous, naturally thin, more outgoing than me. I lvoe her to death but get jealous, especially because she gets more attention from men than I do when we're out. Hopefully I'll change that this year! LOL. It's gunna be tough but I'll get there. It's sad but true that looks are important in this world for first impressions/ attracting the opposite sex. Slow and steady weightloss is totally going to be better for you than quick weightloss! It'll be so much more exciting when you finally reach your goal knowing that you did it the right way this time!

@ Muireann- what a story! That's a huge accomplishment, losing as much as you have already! You sound super determined, I bet you'll reach that goal with the help of turbofire!

@Amber- 2 days in, good for you! You can do this! Stick to the program this time! That's gunna be the challenge for me too- not to stray. That's why I have so many friggin' workout dvds (about 30)- I get bored doing the same thing over and over. I'm hoping that since I enjoy TF so much I'll be able to stick to it!!
  • dym123
    dym123 Posts: 1,670 Member
    Options
    I'm Donna, 46 y/o. My highest weight was between 265-270. I used to be a runner and triathlete, could eat whatever I wanted, but between knee problems and asthma it became very difficult to compete. I tried to continue working out, but without the thrill of the competition I felt no push and the weight started coming on. I gained over 100lbs over 9 years. Last year, I don't know what clicked, but something did and I started working out, first with Zumba (hated it) then with Jillian Michaels circuit training workouts (loved it). Had knee issues over the summer and eventually had knee surgery in September, all the while finding ways to continue working out, mostly doing strength training and kettlebell. I started Turbo Fire in December, I'm on week 7. Can not believe how much I love it. So far I've lost 10lbs, though I don't weigh myself regularly, maybe every couple of weeks (don't have a scale at home). Last year when I went in for my annual women's wellness check I weighed 265 (which is what I used as my starting weight), I go back in a couple of weeks, I'm actually looking forward to it. Not the actual exam of course, but getting on that scale and seeing how far I've come from a year ago.
  • Starlage
    Options
    @tawnie- that's amazing your hubby's joining you! That'll be a great thing to do together. Apparently couples that workout together have a stronger bond, right? Only good things will come from it. I so understand how easy it is to put weight back on! I think if I hadn't continued logging last year to keep myself on track while I was maintaining I would have gained too. Re: the app... I don't know if the iphone app is the same as the android app, but nope- can't access the boards from there. I just open my browser and do it that way.
  • Amberh82
    Options
    @starlage - me too! I stick to them for like a month then I'm like,....ok, something else now. I have done this with P90x, insanity, turbo jam and running...not to mention all the other random workout dvd's I have!!! and it was funny because the other day I almost bought Les Mills Combat but then talked to myself out of it until I finished one of my other programs! I chose TF :) it was my favorite so far (well, and TJ)
  • Starlage
    Options
    @ donna, don't forget to measure! I hear with TF that's more important than weighing because you'll see more changes in body composition than you will on the scale (although that will drop for you too. Just don't forget to measure! haha) Knee surgery! OMG. That must be so difficult when you enjoy exercising! So amazing to hear though that you're doing TF and not having issues with it!

@Amber, yea I'm attempting the SAME THING. LOL. I almost bought Chalean extreme yesterday but then I was like "what are you doing?! You haven't even GOTTEN turbofire in the mail yet!!" LOL. When I get my tax refund though, I'll probably purchase that one so that I can do the combo plan after TF.
  • dym123
    dym123 Posts: 1,670 Member
    Options
    @starlage - the weight has been a consistant 2lb/week, which is great considering the first 9-10 months I was only losing about 5lbs/month. Its actually my measurements that has stalled. I lost a quick 4 inches after the first couple of weeks of TF, from hips, waist and thighs, but haven't had a progress since. Very frustrating. This happened once before when I started wearing those Zaggora Hot Pants, the inches started coming off quickly, and then stalled even though I was still losing weight consistantly.
  • MuireannM
    MuireannM Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    @Starlage Thats some journey your TF DVD's are on! It only took 3 days to get them to Ireland lol
  • Amberh82
    Options
    @tawnie - you made it a lot further than me on the P90x. but that was the first program I bought that had a different workout every day and I found (at the time) that if I missed one day that I blew it...I think I only made it like 2-3 weeks. Insanity I made it a month. I think after doing a round of turbo fire, I am going to do the P90x/Turbo Fire hybrid...since I already have it, I might as well find some use for it! I also have 30 DS. I made it to level 2 lol.
  • crystallight711
    crystallight711 Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    I finally made it through fire 45ez without struggling and actually having fun with it the whole time! It took until week 12, but hell yeah! :bigsmile:
  • preshusgem
    preshusgem Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    Hi, I'm Christel, or you can call me Stel for short. I am a 42 year old SAHM for my 7 year old boy/girl twins. I live in the far northern suburbs of Chicago. We are experiencing whacked out weather over here. It is wet, humid and 61! Go figure and the calendar still says January!

Anyway, I'm just about to finish Week 8 of TF. This is the longest I've stayed with the same program. Last spring, I did 7 weeks of P90X and lost all motivation when summer started. I love Turbo Fire. I love the music and Chalean is so motivating that I actually want to go to our basement and work out.

The only thing I don't love right now is 45 EZ. It's really not that easy. !st time I've done this since Week 3 and I don't remember it being this difficult.

I will do the full 20 weeks of this program. I'm debating on doing Chalean Extreme afterwards cuz I don't want to have to buy another dvd program. I might just do P90X/TF hybrid cuz I already own it. I just don't like Tony's cheesy lines. My husband works out too. Last year he lost 40 lbs using P90x and Insanity. He has also now added Insanity's The Asylum and Body Beast to our collection of DVD's.

Right now, I wouldn't even want to attempt to do Insanity. I get so nauseated when I see the promos and when I see my husband do it. I've tried Body Beast: Build Legs and liked it.

I have 50 lbs to lose. I don't want to get to my GW and then have to start toning to get rid of the flab. I'm going to incorporate some weight training now to avoid that. Oh and I'm a shortie. I'm only 5'1".

Good luck to all! Keep pressing play! Effort now. Results later!
  • Starlage
    Options
    Hello ladies! As predecited, super boring workday! LOL. I hate hate hate when I have to find busy work (administrative office work). I much prefer when clinic's nice and busy and I'm running around for the doctors all day! Unfortunately tomorrow will be the same because the head and neck surgeon I assist is out of town. Boo. Tomorrow's a rest day too for exercise, so it'll be a lower burn day! I'll probably eat a little lower also. After I got home I did indeed kill my workout! I did my 45 mins of TJ cardio party 3 and 15 total mins warmup and cooldown with Michelle Dozios Peak 10 cardio interval burn dvd (love that one by the way). I do really love Chalene and her workouts.... but... they don't have enough warmup for me! I like to stretch and really ease into activity, really warm up before starting the punches and stuff. So I do and additional 5 mins warmup with another dvd, and then after I like extra cooldown so if I'm not feeling the stretch 10 with TF (and TJ has almost no cooldown) I pop in another dvd for an extra 5-10 mins of cooldown. I wonder if I can attribute not being sore to this routine? I'm hardly ever sore. I've been doing cardo kickboxing workouts 6 days a week for 3 1/2 weeks and have yet to feel sore. I feel stronger for sure and have lost a couple of pounds (probably bloat) but no soreness. Anyays, after that I had a HUGE dinner. Ended my day just under 2000 cals, perfect!

(i'm probably going to forget everyone's names unless it's in the screenname! sorry!)

@donna, my body does that too... I adjust to an activity and stop seeing progress. I'm REALLY hoping this doesn't happen with TF! It looks like the workouts change just enough that maybe my body won't have a chance to adapt. Hopefully.

@Muireann- I CANT BELIEVE THE DVDS STILL ARENT HERE! The last update on the tracking thing says "left so and so, california sorting facility 1-25-13. Now, even driving that length doesn't take THIS long. I've wondered if I should email the seller, asking if this has happened to anyone else! He/she mailed it almost one week ago.

@butterfly, woohoo!! That's a big step :smile: having fun is so important instead of feeling like you're dying! I think all the running I did the last 9 months prepped me for this level of activity, because while it's still hard work I haven't felt like dying at any point and I think i'm doing more cardio kickboxing than I will be when I start the actual turbofire schedule!

@preshusgem- sounds like you've got plenty of dvd sets to do a hybrid! You don't need to buy another set :smile: I'll need a set though that focuses on strength work after I get through TF in order to do a hybrid. 8 weeks in, wow! You're almost half way done! That's amazing!!
  • Vini9
    Vini9 Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    I pushed play today and did CLX burn Intervals and a HIIT 20. I love burn intervals. It was warm today for this time of year, 56 and it felt so nice. it's going to be like that tomro then back to cold :( Makes me wish for longer, warmer days. @Starlarge, I would probably wait a little longer before emailing about the dvds. If it came from beachbody it takes almost 2 weeks. For beachbody I think that is crazy!! They are usally so good about everything else. I had to wait for my CLX dvds for 2.5 weeks and I have a friend who waited 3 weeks for her les mills pump :( Hope you day isn't to bad tomro. Keep pushing play!!!! :)
  • eheinze12
    eheinze12 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    yesterday was day 51 of the schedule which was fire 45 ez and stretch 10. My legs are sooooo sore. I think this may be part from me moving boxes up stairs into a trailer. We are in the process of moving out right now. It's going to be along weekend but I am not going to quit the program for it. It looks more of like a recovery week anyways so I will most certainly be enjoying the long stretch tomorrow after all the heavy lifting and cleaning tonight!