I need positive PCOS friends.

Options
2»

Replies

• nataliescalories
    nataliescalories Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    Feel free to add me! I was diagnosed 10 years ago and it has been a constant struggle. I've got a long journey ahead and I'd love the support and to provide support as much as possible!

I second the commenters mentioning cutting carbs. My nutritionist recommended under 150 a day and around 50 a meal and it really does make a difference for me. That said, though our struggles are the same, what works is going to be different for each of us.
  • angelams1019
    angelams1019 Posts: 1,102 Member
    Options
    Feel free to add me as well! I was diagnosed with PCOS at 15 when my periods stopped and have been pretty much a storybook case with EVERY symptom associated! Developed REALLY early (I wore a B cup in the 4th grade but wasn't overweight and had full blown acne and started period in 5th grade) By middle school I had SEVERE acne and began get dark skin patches on the back of my neck, between boobs, and on insides of arms at the bend. Always had excessive hair. Have battled depression starting at around 14 (when my other symptoms started as well). My periods stopped at 15 (By this time I was wearing a DDD) so I was put on birth control after diagnosis and proceeded to gain nearly 150 pounds in the following 6 years. Attempted to have a baby at 21 and miscarried at 4 months.

Unfortunately there are A LOT of doctors that are very uneducated in PCOS and just think we're just fat *kitten* that need to control ourselves. We all struggle A LOT with PCOS and it can be very frustrating because many people don't understand our struggle. That being said, I think its very important for myself to make sure I'm not using it as an excuse. Don't ever let you tell yourself you can't do something because of a medical condition It may be A LOT more difficult, but you CAN beat it!! It just takes time and patience.

I personally have refused to take medication prescribed to me (Metformin) because I know I can fix this on my own. I have faith in my body to do what its supposed to do if I treat it right, so thats what I plan on doing. Be kind and understanding to your body and your mind. If you fall down, don't blame PCOS. Just get back up! Eventually your body will catch on. It will begin to understand that you're treating it with kindness and will return the favor.

At 50 pounds lost my periods came back (without birth control) and have been clock work for the first time in 10 years.

Don't let yourself be defeated. We are WOMEN and we are STRONG! :drinker:
  • istayedhomeandate
    Options
    Add me too please! I was diagnosed at 19 and apart from a brief time on Metformin around then I've been un-medicated. My periods came back when I lost 50lbs and although I've gained about 28lbs back my cycle has thankfully stayed regular. I have excessive facial hair (a beard and moustache most guys would envy!), hair loss on my head, skin tags, the dark skin patches on my neck/thighs/armpits/between my boobs. and the vast majority of my weight in a huge belly.

I move around a lot and was lucky at one time to have a doctor who was really 'in' to PCOS. Sadly my current doctor is less helpful but my old doctor did turn me onto the insulin resistance diet which has worked well for me.
  • TracyBarrett81
    TracyBarrett81 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Feel free to add me. I love having PCOS friends who understand.
  • LexyLou_5
    LexyLou_5 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Feel free to add me.,....... think i have pretty much all the PCOS symptoms.

Need supportive understanding folk
  • SuperMammaLeah
    SuperMammaLeah Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    I am on day 50 of eating healthy, and I have only lost 13 pounds, and that was around when I first started. Why is it so difficult for us to lose weight with PCOS?
  • s_west
    s_west Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Hi newbie here! I was recently diagnosed with PCOS after a miscarriage. Just started on Metformin and am in the process of cutting out refined sugars/carbs. It's hard work but I think having positive support from people that understand what you're going through helps (hence why I joined this group). Feel free to add me!
  • cmcd214
    Options
    Hi to all!
    Newbie here as well. I was diagnosed with PCOS and Hypothyroidism when I was 16 but, regrettably, disregarded any medication plan that I thought would interfere with my college experience. Ignoring PCOS just caused the weight to keep creeping on, and I've finally matured enough to take control of my health. I am on Levothyroxine and Metformin along with my BCP. 4th day on Met...and each day is a little better. I am not looking to conceive anytime soon, just looking to lose weight. I have been eating low carb (50-100g/day) since December and have lost roughly 20 pounds. I have a long way to go-looking to lose an additional 80-100 lbs I am exploring the whole paleo diet option right now...trying to figure out how I would give up cheese and eggs! I do not have a specific goal weight in mind, but I think I'd be happiest around 170. I am 5'9.5 and am roughly 260. Just wanted to say hi and good luck to everyone else on their journey! Feel free to add me!
    Colleen
  • SuperMammaLeah
    SuperMammaLeah Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    I have been on my healthy eating kick now for 55 days, and have noticed no change in my weight other then the 13lbs I dropped when I first started. Are there any PCOS books that any of you suggest I read? I am trying very hard to stay positive and motivated. I go to see my Doctor on the 18th for a check up and an ultra sound to see if there is any change with the cysts on my ovaries. I am hoping that perhaps she can assist me a little more or point me in a direction of some one who knows how to handle PCOS and weight loss.
  • NoleGirl0918
    NoleGirl0918 Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    Hi - i have had many female type problems over the years but never rec'd a diagnosis of PCOS until after my 1st son was born. i would NEVER claim to be an expert at all - but i will say that my primary Dr. prescribed Fastin to help start me off on my weight loss journey. That was a big help to start off but it wasn't something i wanted to take long term so i never took it every day as prescribed. i agree with the previous poster that said it doesn't mean we can't do stuff - but it might be a bit harder :-)

Please feel free to add me as a friend & i'll do my best to support you.
  • Bunnylow
    Options
    I was just diagnost with PCOS last wk!! I didn't know what was happening to me and I guess a part of me didn't want to know. My mood swings, loosing my hair, gaining hair in places and the weight gain!! I too need ppl around me who understand what I am going through because I am a very private person and a stay at home, homeschooling mom.....I tend to not talk about my issues only the kiddos! Whenever u need someone to vent to or just talk to let me know...it would be good for the both of us!!
  • rosiegirl_82
    rosiegirl_82 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Hi There!

I've been battling with my PCOS diagnosis for nearly three years. My first was spent trying different meds to hopefully get pregnant. My second year was spent in despair feeling as if my body had betrayed me. Near the end of the second year I found "PCOS for Dummies," an extremely helpful book for anyone with PCOS. It helped me to better understand what was going on with my body and more importantly that there was something I could do to help manage my condition. Now I am actually loosing weight and doing much better physically and mentally. It is so hard to be surrounded by friends and family who have infants and think that what I am going through is just a weight issue when PCOS is much more than that. As for the slow drop, don't get discouraged. My nutritionist said that most PCOS patients do good to drop about 2 lbs a month and retain that. So our weight loss journey is not a sprint its a marathon. Just know there are others huffing and puffing right along with you to see this race out to the end.

Hope it helps,
    rosiegirl_82