csection moms

Options
blink1021
blink1021 Posts: 1,118 Member
For all you moms who have had csection just a quick question are you awake or put under? As I get closer to my due date my husband and I have been talking about labor and delivery. When I had my son I delivered vaginally and had no problems, but this time I want to be prepared because it is always a possibility of a csection. My husband informed me last night that he doesn't want to go in if I have a csection since I will be asleep. I always thought you were awake. I told him this and he said he still doesn't want to go because he doesn't want to see my insides on the outside. No clue where he gets his info, but I want to slap them. I am just wondering how the set up is so I can either slap some sense in him or go with plan B and ask my dad to go into the csection with me. I do not want to be alone. Its not even a possibility right now but I want to be prepared this time.

Replies

• keyalus
    keyalus Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Mine was not an emergency C-Section and I already had a working epidural in place so I was awake. In an emergency situation or if the anethesia wasn't taking for some reason, they could put you under general.

Just because your husband is in the room, it doesn't mean he has to look! There was a big curtain up over my stomach. My husband was by my side. I'm sure he could have looked away if he couldn't handle it.
  • cmaxmor
    cmaxmor Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    They only put you under if there is some sort of medical need. Otherwise you are awake and aware the entire time. My Mister has been there each time. He also is a lookey-loo. Me? You couldn't have paid me cash to watch my loved one cut open, but he found it fascinating. He also cut the cord.
  • ajsdream
    ajsdream Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    I had a friend who had a non-emergency c-section, and she was awake for it. In fact, the surgery was reflecting off of the ceiling above her, so she watched the whole thing! I don't know if I could do that!
  • tinyjourney
    tinyjourney Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    I go in Friday morning for my preplanned c/s. I have a stubborn breech baby that just won't turn. I will not be out, the hospital I am using does a spinal not an epi. Once that is done and I am on the table ready to go my husband will be allowed in. There will be a drape up so he cannot see the actual surgery, but he asked if he could stand up and watch her come out. I'm not sure where the idea comes from that they remove your internal organs. The uterus is in the front, there is nothing to move out of the way.

I based my c/s birth plan on this video. It made my husband much more comfortable with how a c/s can go.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m5RIcaK98Yg
  • speshell4
    Options
    i was up and awake. i had an epi and my husband had the option of watching the whole thing or staying in his seat and just looking at me. i am so glad he watched. We have a great pic of them pulling our little guy out. gross I know but one of my fav pics
  • BrooksMum
    BrooksMum Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I am from NZ but I assume it will still be relevant? I had a C-Section with my first, and I was awake. They gave me a spinal block and was numb from the breasts down. They had a sheet placed in front of me like a 'wall' so I couldnt see anything. My partner was sitting next to me but he stood up to video the actual birth for me (some may find this crude but i wanted to see my little man enter the world!)
    They don't put you under unless it is completely necessary, as this would mean no instant bonding with your child which is quite detrimental if you think about it. (I was able to hold and feed my son within 15mins of the surgery) his dad got to cuddle him for the first 15 mins =)
  • BrooksMum
    BrooksMum Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Goodluck!!!!
  • Kendrazombie
    Kendrazombie Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    They gave me a spinal right before mine. Wide awake and able to see that little cutie right after they pulled her out. My husband watched them perform the c-section and thought it was pretty cool.
  • mzjessicab
    mzjessicab Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    This will be my 3rd C-section. Let your hubby know that he has the option of watching the surgery or sitting by your side behind the barrier. It will be his decision. But he can go in with you and opt not to watch the actual surgery. The doctors at my hospital actually ask "daddy" to be seated when they initially begin cutting! LOL Wish you the best!
  • beernpizza
    beernpizza Posts: 431 Member
    Options
    I am from NZ but I assume it will still be relevant? I had a C-Section with my first, and I was awake. They gave me a spinal block and was numb from the breasts down. They had a sheet placed in front of me like a 'wall' so I couldnt see anything. My partner was sitting next to me but he stood up to video the actual birth for me (some may find this crude but i wanted to see my little man enter the world!)
    They don't put you under unless it is completely necessary, as this would mean no instant bonding with your child which is quite detrimental if you think about it. (I was able to hold and feed my son within 15mins of the surgery) his dad got to cuddle him for the first 15 mins =)

I wouldn't say it's detrimental at all. I was put compeletly under for my csection, my husband wasn't allowed into the room and by the time I woke up in recovery our daughter had already had her first bath and everyone but me had seen her, but I wouldn't say it hurt our ability to bond. She still came from my body, we bonded for 40 weeks, she knew who I was even though I wasn't able to hold her until 3 hours after she was born.
  • TaraFTMVA
    TaraFTMVA Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    Same as PP have said for the most part, I got a spinal tap and my hubby came in after that and he sat with me until the dr got his attention (since my son was breech) and lightly spanked our little mans bottom as he pulled him out, it was funny, I had to go into recovery for an hour after, which felt so long by the end, but my csection was fantastic and I will be doing it with my twins this go around and I am hoping its as fast a recovery and easy as last time. He def doesnt have to look because there is a curtain =)
  • buffykaz
    buffykaz Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I was awake for both or mine (1x emergency c-section and 1 x scheduled c-section). I just had a spinal block for both.
    Hubby was with me both times, he sat up the end where my head was an held my hand.
  • vim_n_vigor
    vim_n_vigor Posts: 4,089 Member
    Options
    I had one emergency c-section and one planned. I was awake for both of them. My husband was in the room for both of them, but for the second, he chose to stand by my head and not watch the delivery.
  • musicgirl99
    musicgirl99 Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    This is my first pregnancy and I haven't delivered yet so I can't speak from actual experience but in the childbirth education class we took at the hospital where we are delivering, they said that they either give a spinal if mom hasn't been given anything or just up the dosage of the meds through the epidural if she already had one placed. They told us that moms are awake the whole time unless something is terrible wrong (God forbid). They put up a sheet that acts like a wall blocking everything and your husband sits next to you not being able to see what's going on. One of the ladies in my class asked if dad is allowed to get up and look and the nurse/teacher said if he gets up he will promptly be told to sit back down. She said whether the dads listen or not is at their discretion but this particular hospital prohibits dads to get up and watch as there have been too many instances of dads passing out in the operating room. Let's hope that doesn't happen to any of us.