Beware of Chicken Wings!

Options
AliceNov2011
AliceNov2011 Posts: 471 Member
Sometimes we think that because they're small, bony sources of protein, they're not especially fattening, but did you know that the average chicken wing WITH NO SAUCE is about 100 calories?!? That's because of the very high-fat skin on the wing -- even when they're baked!

So before you chow down on a basket full o' wings on game day (or any other), remember that you could easily blow your whole day's calorie budget on a handful of "snacks."

Replies

• KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,473 Member
    Options
    yep, they are BAD,,, and ribs are bad too,,,, but i love them both, sigh.
  • Kitsada
    Kitsada Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    No wonder they're so damn yummy.
  • karlajotj
    karlajotj Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Yes, very bad, that's why I stay away from them
  • tatianna68
    tatianna68 Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    I make skinless chicken breast nuggets instead of wings for that reason. With Super Bowl Sunday aproaching it is important to be snack smart :)
  • mznortiz
    mznortiz Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    cal cycling this week. NO WAY, i'm not having wings and brew cheering my RAVENS to victory! Bmore baby!
  • WAHMto5
    WAHMto5 Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    I kow they are bad, but they taste sooo dam good!!!!
  • docturtle
    docturtle Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    Yes, and ribs, I agree. Just had ribs last night and was shocked at the amount of sodium!
  • LeanDean9
    Options
    Yes, and besides the calories they drastically increase your blood pressure (sodium) and cholesterol levels...............which both contribute to heart problems.........................
  • laarae
    laarae Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    Once I had a friend (who was a chef) say "well LaNIta look at them all skin-no meat-of course they are horrible for you"

My solution-take a chicken breast-cut it up into pieces close to same size as a wing-bake them-coat them in Chulula and eat w/carrots and celery-no blue or ranch please:laugh:
  • dbanks80
    dbanks80 Posts: 3,685 Member
    Options
    Awwww!! I wish i hadnt read this!!! LOL!
  • Lipstickcherry
    Lipstickcherry Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    I eat the morningstar ones (meatless buffalo wings). I eat them with sriracha and they are pretty good. But they are 200 calories per serving (5 wings) and 9 grams of fat compared to 266 calories and 10 grams of fat (1 cup) so I think there is no way around they high calories/fat.

Source:
    http://caloriecount.about.com/calories-morningstar-farms-buffalo-wings-i97958
    http://caloriecount.about.com/calories-chicken-meat-only-roasted-i5013
  • jeme3
    jeme3 Posts: 355 Member
    Options
    Take the skin off the wings.

50 calories a wing, 7 grams protein.
  • tekwriter
    tekwriter Posts: 923 Member
    Options
    Yes, I was stunned when I saw the calorie count for these little gems. I have not eaten them since.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    I never liked the activity of eating wings. Too messy. Gimme buffalo sauce on chicken breast over wings any day.
  • Meggles63
    Meggles63 Posts: 916 Member
    Options
    I love 'em. Everyone knows they're not necessarily the best, but so what? Enjoy! SMH
  • chogue55
    Options
    Gotta love the wings, but have to limit indulging to rare, special occasions. :):tongue:
  • FattieBabs
    FattieBabs Posts: 542 Member
    Options
    I love jerk chicken wings when on holiday. But I still blogged the calories and factored them in.