Weight Gain

Options
I am on day 4 of the shred and since starting Saturday, I have gained weight. I was down another pound from last week and I have put that back on, plus almost another pound. Could this just be from my muscles retaining water from starting a new workout? I am severly out of shape and have been sore as hell, it is just finally letting up today and it is getting easier for me to get through the workouts. It is just discouraging seeing the scale go up.

Replies

• AwesomeSauce4
    AwesomeSauce4 Posts: 1,062 Member
    Options
    I am on day 4 of the shred and since starting Saturday, I have gained weight. I was down another pound from last week and I have put that back on, plus almost another pound. Could this just be from my muscles retaining water from starting a new workout? I am severly out of shape and have been sore as hell, it is just finally letting up today and it is getting easier for me to get through the workouts. It is just discouraging seeing the scale go up.

Sweetie Don't get discouraged.. When a muscle is sore, it Does hold more water. That's probably why you gained weight... give it a few Days or Just wait and weigh yourself Next Week and I bet you will see a change in the scale ;) Good Luck sweetie..

~Rachel~
  • tnt7787
    tnt7787 Posts: 48
    Options
    Thanks! I'm supposed to weigh tomorrow but definitely thinking I will give it another week so my body is used to the workout.
  • DanetteNel
    DanetteNel Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    I have read so many accounts (on MFP and other sites) of people doing 30DS and gaining weight in the first few weeks.

BUT, their measurements have drastically reduced.

So, take measurements once a week (upper arm, chest, waist, hips, thigh) and look for the results there.

That sneaky, nasty scale is not a fair indication of how your body composition is progressing
  • DanetteNel
    DanetteNel Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    Oh, and please hang in there with us!

WE CAN DO IT !!!

:flowerforyou:
  • Shhhalan
    Shhhalan Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I'm on level 1 day 10 (tomorrow I start Level 2) and yes, I gained two pounds in the first couple of days and it was very discouraging. I decided I wasn't going to get on the scale again until the end. But now, at day 10, I can feel a big difference in how my clothes are fitting and it's very encouraging!

Hang in there.
  • Mommy4812
    Mommy4812 Posts: 649 Member
    Options
    I have also gained weight since starting the 30 day shred. I thought maybe I was already building muscle mass but I didn't know that when muscles are sore they hold more water so thanks for that info.!
  • tnt7787
    tnt7787 Posts: 48
    Options
    Thanks so much for all the encouragement everyone! I am sticking with it for sure, it is getting easier everyday. This morning I was down a pound but that put me back at my starting weight, but I'm ok with that! I plan on taking my measurements at the end of every level and definitely can't wait to see the results there. I have never liked working out and have been super lazy (gee, I wonder why I have gained weight) but I really like doing this. It kicks my *kitten*, but it makes me feel great!
  • dixiewhiskey
    dixiewhiskey Posts: 3,333 Member
    Options
    Just stick with it.. you will see in days (and for some ladies two weeks down the road) that the weight either drops off or that you lose inches. Always measure yourself, you will usually see results there first before the scale.