What was your WORST WOD EVER?

Options
Back in 2010, I tried to do Fran at Rx for the first time. For starters, I have always hated this WOD. There is some evil energy created between thrusters and pull-ups. Anyway, the WOD starts, I am doing my thing and the barbell is just too damn heavy for me. I may have gotten through my first set but I can't quite remember. I dropped down to about 75 lbs and kept going but just gassed out. I think it was my first DNF on a WOD and I have not had but 1 or 2 more since then. I left the gym feeling miserable. Later that day, I got sick as a dog and came down with the flu or severe cold and was down for around a week.

Looking back, I don't think that I got sick because of Fran but rather, the illness had already taken hold but on a level below my threshold to consciously detect it. I think it was a big part of the reason that I just could not get through it even with dropping weight. The experience gave me an irrational dread of ever doing Fran again.

Replies

• Adrenaline_Queen
    Adrenaline_Queen Posts: 626 Member
    Options
    Hope, I threw up after, ran out....... Did not listen properly, so banged out as many burpees as possible thinking I had a min rest next, but no, grab the bar and start with the weights.

Now I have to say I love Hope. ;) x

Looking forward to my first RX, that is what I hate directly, not being able to do it RX.............. YET xx
  • kelr0110
    kelr0110 Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    I'm still a new kid, so nothing disastrous yet. I have not encountered Fran as of yet, so I have to tell you I'm going to be pretty intimidated with everything I've been reading about it lol.

The only hero WODs I've done are Bradley, Karen and Randy...which of the 3 Bradley killed me and I almost DNF but pushed and did it with a time of 30:28 (cutoff at 30, but I was on the last round). So maybe that was the worst one so far......yet somehow the best?
  • Sasquatchrider
    Sasquatchrider Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    HABOOB.

Fran is tough but at least it's short
  • Jindra12
    Jindra12 Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    Angie and it took me 4 days to recover.

You gotta to complete 100 reps of one set before you could move to the next set.
  • dirtybadgermtb
    dirtybadgermtb Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    HABOOB.

Fran is tough but at least it's short

Well, it supposed to be short.
  • tabbychiro
    tabbychiro Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    Kalsu. And I did it scaled.
  • shaywallis
    shaywallis Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    I think the first one I did was the worst ever, but I was really out of shape. If I remember correctly it was 450m run, 5 deadlifts, 10 box jumps, 20 slam balls, 30 wall balls, 20 slam balls, 10 box jumps, 5 deadlifts and another 450m run. I seriously almost died.
  • sara_m83
    sara_m83 Posts: 545 Member
    Options
    I think the first one I did was the worst ever, but I was really out of shape. If I remember correctly it was 450m run, 5 deadlifts, 10 box jumps, 20 slam balls, 30 wall balls, 20 slam balls, 10 box jumps, 5 deadlifts and another 450m run. I seriously almost died.

We did that yesterday, but a bit different. Started with 3 min to do as many as possible of 5 burpees, 10 box jumps, 15 knees to elbows, 20 slam balls, 25 wall balls, 20 slam balls, 15 knees to elbows, 10 box jumps, 5 burpees. Then 3 min rest and 6 minutes to do as many as possible. Then another 3 min rest and finally the whole series for time.

One of the few WODs that I felt sick at the end.
  • cdiveduck
    cdiveduck Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    We did a Hero workout when I first started: Finish or Quit, 500 air squats, 250 push ups, 100 burpees, while stopping every 3 min to run a lap around the building (150M), and then when you are done 1 lap over your head holding 25lb plate. I think I finished in about 65 min ended up running about 3mi total by the end. I don't think I was able to move my legs for 2 weeks after.
  • Mrs_Duh
    Mrs_Duh Posts: 263
    Options
    Last night, the WOD was 100 OHS with 10 burpees every two minutes. 100 OHS was even harder than it sounded! My arms, wrists, shoulders, and legs are ridiculously sore!
  • 18guyhornet
    18guyhornet Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    Filthy 50 by far! Closest I came to throwing up DURING a workout. I break out in cold sweats just thinking about it!
  • julielittlefish
    julielittlefish Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    One of the first times I had to do squat cleans and I just could.not.get it, even with dropping weights. I nearly cried through the whole damn WOD.

I have to do Fran tomorrow as a baseline WOD for a Paleo Challenge my box is doing. I've seen some of the times others have done throughout the week. I actually dreamt about Fran last night. So ask me again tomorrow.
  • dirtybadgermtb
    Options
    We did a Hero workout when I first started: Finish or Quit, 500 air squats, 250 push ups, 100 burpees, while stopping every 3 min to run a lap around the building (150M), and then when you are done 1 lap over your head holding 25lb plate. I think I finished in about 65 min ended up running about 3mi total by the end. I don't think I was able to move my legs for 2 weeks after.

That sounds nuts. I love it. I'll bet you hurt like a mo-fo for days afterwards. Prop's for finishing.
  • MissXFit13
    MissXFit13 Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    AGH! I'm a newbie to Crossfit, so you guys are freaking me out!

Seriously, I've just been going for less than 2 weeks, and this week we did 75 Thrusters with 5 burpees every minute on the minute. After a while, I was happy to get in 4-5 thrusters within each minute.

Which is why I find myself looking forward to Crossfit with equal parts excitement and dread.

I'm scared of Fran, and I've never even done it!
  • dirtybadgermtb
    Options
    AGH! I'm a newbie to Crossfit, so you guys are freaking me out!

Seriously, I've just been going for less than 2 weeks, and this week we did 75 Thrusters with 5 burpees every minute on the minute. After a while, I was happy to get in 4-5 thrusters within each minute.

Which is why I find myself looking forward to Crossfit with equal parts excitement and dread.

I'm scared of Fran, and I've never even done it!

Oops! The intention of creating this thread was not to freak out any of our new folks in our community. The beauty of CrossFit is that it is only as hard as you are willing to push yourself. All workouts can be scaled. You never need to go so hard that you collapse, vomit, soil yourself or have quit mid way through. What I can say from my experience is that if you do this 3-5 times/week for over 3 years, there is going to be one particular workout that stands out as the absolute worst one ever. And guess what, it will probably be that workout that you see posted on you gym's blog the night before and will think "hey, tomorrow's WOD doesn't look that bad". And you will look back on it and smile and create a thread about how much it sucked on some online forum and look forward to hearing how your CrossFit brothers and sisters shared a similar terrible experience.

Finally, a word about Fran. Fran is just a WOD. No easier or harder. It is just 45 reps each of 2 different exercises. But, over time, it has become the CrossFit universal standard of fitness. It has become a means of comparing how fit you are compared to other CrossFitters around the globe. You hear a lot of horror stories about Fran because many in our community will push themselves harder on this workout than any other. So, don't give Fran too much power. Just take it one rep at a time.
  • aggiesrar05
    aggiesrar05 Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    We did one a couple weeks ago (actually the WOD the completely wrecked my hip) that was 5 rounds of 100m bear crawl, 50 double unders, 30 situps.

This was the first time I actually cried in the middle of a WOD. I did finish it though. The bear crawls completely thrashed my right hip and I've been out for the last 3 weeks (I'm getting antsy). Good news is that the orthopedist said that I never have to do bear crawls ever again. :-)

By the end of the WOD my arms looked like someone whipped the hell out of me (from double unders).
  • kelr0110
    Options
    I can name today's as one of my worst ever. I think it's the first time I actually hated the whole thing.

100 thrusters
    5 burpees at the top of every minute, start with burpees.

The rx for chicks was 65#, I am still new since december and can do 55# on push press, but I knew with 100 thrusters and I have crappy knees that I reduced to 45#.

I managed to finish in 13:43, but then i felt guilty because many did not even finish with a 20 mins cutoff. It was not easy for me by any means though, I kept rationalizing in my head that the faster I get through the thrusters, the less burpees I have to do lol.....but maybe I didn't push hard enough - it was physical and mental battle. I shouldn't compare to others though I suppose....ehhhhhhh. This was the first day ever that I felt MEH after crossfit.
  • dirtybadgermtb
    Options

I managed to finish in 13:43, but then i felt guilty because many did not even finish with a 20 mins cutoff. It was not easy for me by any means though, I kept rationalizing in my head that the faster I get through the thrusters, the less burpees I have to do lol.....but maybe I didn't push hard enough - it was physical and mental battle. I shouldn't compare to others though I suppose....ehhhhhhh. This was the first day ever that I felt MEH after crossfit.

Here is some advice. Never feel guilty about what you do in a CrossFit gym. Did you suit up and show up? Did you work hard? Most people never even get there. Knowing what you are capable of doing is tough, especially in the beginning. You are trying to hit a moving target. Your strength and skill are constantly changing but you also have to account for other factors like being tired and achy. Remember, fitness is a lifetime endeavor and ultimately very personal. I see folks get hurt and bent out of shape because they think that they could have done better or could have gone "Rx". I seriously doubt that you sandbagged this WOD. 100 thrusters at any weight is going to beat you up.
  • kelr0110
    Options

Here is some advice. Never feel guilty about what you do in a CrossFit gym. Did you suit up and show up? Did you work hard? Most people never even get there. Knowing what you are capable of doing is tough, especially in the beginning. You are trying to hit a moving target. Your strength and skill are constantly changing but you also have to account for other factors like being tired and achy. Remember, fitness is a lifetime endeavor and ultimately very personal. I see folks get hurt and bent out of shape because they think that they could have done better or could have gone "Rx". I seriously doubt that you sandbagged this WOD. 100 thrusters at any weight is going to beat you up.

Very much appreciate this - needed a "chin up, kid" today lol. I usually have no problem just focusing on what im doing and not comparing but today was weird i guess :) Thank you.
  • sara_m83
    sara_m83 Posts: 545 Member
    Options

If I saw this on the board walking in in the morning, I would be very tempted to walk straight back out again! Wow! What a WOD! You are a hero!