Turkish get up

Options
Z_I_L_L_A
Z_I_L_L_A Posts: 2,399 Member
Did these in a warm up last night and one arm snatch. Kinda weird but cool too. Anyone else done these?

Replies

• cbarn025
    cbarn025 Posts: 939 Member
    Options
    Yea I don't like them in WOD's. THey are suprisingly tiring after awhile. Especially with the heavy KB. I've never done the KB snatch though. It's looks easier than the barbell one. Have you ever done sandbag get ups? I prefer those to KB get ups.
  • Z_I_L_L_A
    Options
    No, haven't tried sandbag get ups. Instructor had me do 35 and 53 KB, then moved to the bar with 65 then 95 lb. He said I could try more next time. I did 95 lb. bar snatch and could try more later. It was just a warm up. We did 5 rounds for time of 155 squat cleans for 7 reps and 53 lbs KB swings for 14 reps. I got it in 11:58. Did notice a little fatigue on one side from the Turkish get ups though during the WOD.
  • Jindra12
    Jindra12 Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    I am not fan of it. It takes lots of time to complete one rep.
  • Z_I_L_L_A
    Options
    Yeah,true^. We just did it to see how to do it. First time last night after warm ups.
  • Charles4Jesus
    Charles4Jesus Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    I like to do them after the WOD. I don't have a KB so I either use a dumbbell or a barbell. I need some KB's though.
  • Jindra12
    Jindra12 Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    I like to do them after the WOD. I don't have a KB so I either use a dumbbell or a barbell. I need some KB's though.

You missed nothing. Barbell bar is even more better and challenging.
  • mrskperry
    mrskperry Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Get ups are an incredible exercise! Yeah, they do take a while, but it's a tough move that requires a lot of attention to detail and patience. Great!
  • Sasquatchrider
    Sasquatchrider Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    Yea I don't like them in WOD's. THey are suprisingly tiring after awhile. Especially with the heavy KB. I've never done the KB snatch though. It's looks easier than the barbell one. Have you ever done sandbag get ups? I prefer those to KB get ups.

We do a WOD called Haboob that is a bunch of running and cleans and get ups with an 80lb bag....it's a good one.

When I get 50lbs + I think using a barbell is easier
  • divemunkey
    divemunkey Posts: 288 Member
    Options
    I LOVE get ups. Very nice full body activity.
  • madmags
    madmags Posts: 1,340 Member
    Options
    I am a fan of get ups, they work you from top to bottom.
  • Z_I_L_L_A
    Options
    Little info on the Turkish get up, you will like this. It was a way to torture an infidel to death. Medieval. Keep arm straight. Blow out shoulder socket. Cause inflamation in shoulder. Prisoner dies a slow and very painful death as the extremity's circulation gets cut off, withers away, and rots. Remember that next time you work them. They were designed to blow out a shoulder joint.

LMAO, shoulders are good.
  • Mummyadams
    Mummyadams Posts: 1,125 Member
    Options
    I LOVE TGU's but am always so conscious of my back - so I really make sure I take my time and keep my form spot on. I therefore always lag behind in time but at least I end the WOD in one piece :smile: